Hobbyist Forums banner
381 - 382 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought the aztec dummy vinyl masks and tried them on the under side of the saucer. I made 2 mistakes that I think most people could learn from.
First mistake was that I just straight applied them without applying them to the skin on my hand or on something else first. Needless to say when it came time to take them off they were REALLY stuck on. I tried using a exacto knife and tweezers and also a sharp needle and tweezers and thought I was doing fine but after a little while I looked at an angle and noticed I was scratching my paint with the exacto knife. That sucked.
2nd mistake was doing the entire saucer at once. In my opinion at least, I think it would be much easier to manage 3-4 different colors if I only did one slice at a time and taped the rest off for overspray. It just got to be too much and overwhelming.
So Im using this model as practice since I screwed it up in more ways than one. Then Im gonna use the 2nd one I bought to do a Gabe Kroener re-imagined Enterprise paint job. Basically painting it silver/aluminum to look like the NX-01.
Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
830 Posts
I can confirm that you should lower the stickiness of the AztecDummy templates by applying to your hand first. Those things really stick! I nearly ruing part of my forward secondary hull Aztec because I forgot about that. As for doing the saucer in sections, might be a good idea since you'll need several passes with the AB in one go and thus sections will get more color than they should. Will see about that when I get there, right now I am dealing with the complex Pylon Aztec.

381 - 382 of 382 Posts