Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 382 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
impressive!

You know, it's posts like this is what serves to inspire the likes of me. Now if I could just get my hands on one...

·
Registered
53 Posts
More info please

Beautiful work. Can you describe your approach to this. Are you using the aztek decals supplied with the model or did you paint the aztec panels? What paint/paints did you use? Clear coats?, etc. Order of paint layers? It is beautiful and one in the box in my basement that I am going to start this weekend. Will you be lighting this as well? Congratulations on a beautiful model.

Rich

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you all for the kind compliments! Here's the write-up...

After reading Paul Olsen's TMP Page, the first task was to find suitable pearl paints for this job...needless to say this part took a while. I spent weeks trying to get the best possible results with the Wasco pearl paints I always use but I just wasn't satisfied. I needed someting more metalic-like and reflective so I kept looking until I found some lacquer based iridecsent paints. After a series of experiments I concluded that Wasco Iridescent Paints were the way to go. I went specifically for the lacquer based Shimmering blue iridescent, Shimmering green iridescent, Shimmering gold iridescent and Shimmering red iridescent. I also purchased the Polytranspar Lacquer thinner which turned out to be important for the overall effect. These paints were bright and very reflective sprayed pure and the effect increased when using a few drops of thinner mixed in just before spray.

Now to the application. I kept in mind to stay on the warm side for the secondary hull so I used a lot of gold and red. Green was the least used in this area. There is a pretty good amount of blue but it was mainly used as the background color very lightly sprayed. Rather than airbrushing the iridescent colors over a polished white primer I used Model Masters semi-gloss white for the base coat. It provided a really nice shine. I'd like to add that I didn't stress too much over the 'off color' issue because pics of the studio model show quite a fair amount of that going on in certain lighting conditions.

Warmed up version of the pic posted earlier

The strongback was painted using Model Master paints also, MM pale green, MM light gray, and MM flat white. I mixed up 4 shades of gray/green for this area. I used the darkest shade for the deflector(rear housing) and lightly sprayed the lightest shade of green/gray to create the different shades. I then sprayed some sparkling white pearl from wasco that I had on hand on top of the lightest area.

I'm very satisfied with the results so far, now on to the saucer, pylons and engines.:drunk:

Link to Paints used
http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/05/polyirid.html

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update(Shuttle bay detail)

Small update...

Here you can see the DLM/Pendragon accurate shuttlebay door. It was painted 'free hand' with all 4 colors. There is still more work to be done on this area.

Trekcore HD Screencap from TMP

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous! Such subtle greens on the engineering section! Beautiful!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank You Gents!

Steve, the area is painted but in those light conditions it is difficult to capture with the digicam. It is painted with gold and red iridescent. I'll try again in a different background light.

For now though, a minor shuttle bay mod.

'Open Sesame':dude:

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Gorgeous work!

Do you think it would be possible to make this technique difuse enough to look in scale, but still visible on the Round 2 1/1000 version?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

I think that this technique should turn out pretty ok on the 1/1000 model. I fully intend to try it out but from what I see the larger the surface the better the effect is.

few more.

Secondary Aztec close up

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can't believe how damn colourful that it. The great thing is that it also looks very white too. Perfect representation of TMP Enterprise.

What is the paint like through your air brush? Any problems?
I ask because I'd love to try those paints out on the coming 1/1000 Enterprise. It will be weird, I always use Tamiya paints..

1 - 20 of 382 Posts