Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over at the Clubhouse and didn't get much help. Forgot this forum still existed. I hung out here years ago.

Working on the Polar Lights Munsters model. I'm more than halfway through it but am having trouble with Herman's chair. When you glue the seat cushion and back to the rocker sides, the assembled chair does not want to fit into the slots for the rockers on the bottom base. Really upset because I finished painting the chair assuming it would go down into the slots perfectly and it didn't (not even close). So I forced it and all the glued areas on the chair popped. Big mess (I was using Bob Smith's gap filler to weld the chair together and even that didn't help - too much pressure on the rocker sides when it's in the slots). So I pulled the chair completely apart (in anger) and have a major resand/repaint job to do again. Has anyone had this problem when building this model. I'm thinking of dremel tooling the slots in the base, but there's not much plastic to work with (and I already glued the sides to the base - making it hard to get to the slots with a dremel). Ugggggh!

There's virtually no space on the outer part of the slat holes to dremel down. Remember, the base has those side walls. And for the most part when I drop this chair into place it's scraping the side walls of the base. I'm telling ya, I can't figure this one out......it's like the chairs too wide for the slat holes.

It's crazy, but the rocker sides falling into the slat holes is about 3/32 to 1/8" off. It's really bad. Has nothing to do with the seat cushion. The rocker sides fit perfectly into the slat holes when fitted "alone", but not as a chair unit. I still have to repaint the chair parts again......but I have absolutely no idea how to put this together. I was thinking of just ditching the chair base altogether and just using it's sides...the only thing is, this would change the height that the chair sits at, which could affect the way the wires from the head piece go into the floor.......ugh.......and if I sanded down the width of the seat cushion and back it might affect the way Herman's arms lay on the chair arms.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
:wave: Welcome back to the buffet bar Rat Salad ! Check the cloakroom, you may have left your gloves when you left before.
I can't help as I never did that model, but I'll bet someone here can.
You really should get that temper under contol, trust me on that, been there :mad:
Dabbler

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Welcome back, Rat Salad! First off, I don't think we'll be asking you to bring a dish to pass for the Clubhouse Christmas party!!

I just recently finished my Munster's Living Room, and, I gotta tell you, I did not have this problem. You can see pics in the contest post at the top of this forum, I think on page 13, give or take a page. I do remember having the chair side panels fall off a couple of times, but that was just my fat fingers!! But the chair fit into the base slots, tightly, but I didn't have to force it. Not sure what could be the issue.

Wayne

·
Registered
383 Posts
I started this kit about a year ago and got the chair assembly completed, so I pulled it out and can see exactly what you're describing. I have at least about an 1/8th of an inch extra clearance needed.

I'd suggest popping off one of the side panels on the base and then cutting out the extra 1/8th inch of plastic to give the chair more room to sit into the slots. If you go too far with the cutting, you can always patch it up with some Aves from the outside to clean it up. I can't say this will work, but that's probably how I'll approach it when I decide to get back to this one..

Dr. G.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
What I hate is when you get older and you build a model and run into a problem like this where something doesn't fit and you struggle and struggle with it, file and fit it and on and on and then some little 8 year old kid does the same model as a glue-bomb and can get it done without encountering the same problems.

I know this from running contests in our hobby store.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I built this when 1st re-issued. I don't remember any fit problems. Just a bear to paint! Since you've already assembled and painted, is it easier to modify the chair or the base? Please let us see when finished.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The chair is fixed. I filed the slat holes outward toward the edges of the base. After the chair and Herman are completely finished the model will be done. Yes, it is a bear to paint! Heavy styrene model too. I'll post pics here and at the clubhouse when finished. So far, it's lookin real good.
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts