Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to break the glue bond because the base does not sit flush.I used testors.Putting it in the deep freeze & giving it a tap or 2 to break it at the seam was one suggestion.Any others? While I`m at it why would they have them wear helmets when part of who they are is their hair styles.I kept the helmets off Moe & Curly & did hair sculpts.Their helmets are laying on the base to look like they may have lost them in fright.Anyone else remove the helmets?
:dude:

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Those archeology hats are there because that's how they appeared in the movie. Someone needs to sculpt King Rooten Tooten.

I always found the "Refrodgerator" theory on breaking glue seams to be non-effective. My store sells some Debonder that attacks the glue and not the plastic.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Bizz - like Madcap said, the kits were bsaed on the Stooges' short "We Want Our Mummy" where the boys wore pith helmets. While the kits were being developed one of the suggestions I made to Dave was to cast the helmets separately in case builders wanted to customize or kit bash.
I agree, the hairstyles identify the Stooges. One of the hieroglyphics I painted in the box cover background was a row of 3 ankhs with stylized hairdoos of the Stooges on them...

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Plastic cements like Testors work by melting the plastic together... its hard(er) to get apart without breaking the plastic. Debonder works for CA glues only, and it will also melt some plastics as it is basically Acetone.

You might try to slowly cut the pieces apart with a sharp knife.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plastic cements like Testors work by melting the plastic together... its hard(er) to get apart without breaking the plastic. Debonder works for CA glues only, and it will also melt some plastics as it is basically Acetone.

You might try to slowly cut the pieces apart with a sharp knife.
That sounds like my best bet.Long & tedious though. lol
Thanks That was my first idea.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Try using a dremel with a razor saw bit on a slow speed...you will probably have to clean up the mating edges again but, from what I can remember, there's a fair amount of work required anyway to disguise the joins between the three pieces anyway.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try using a dremel with a razor saw bit on a slow speed...you will probably have to clean up the mating edges again but, from what I can remember, there's a fair amount of work required anyway to disguise the joins between the three pieces anyway.
Thanx Bro!! I can`t believe I never thought of that! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bizz - like Madcap said, the kits were bsaed on the Stooges' short "We Want Our Mummy" where the boys wore pith helmets. While the kits were being developed one of the suggestions I made to Dave was to cast the helmets separately in case builders wanted to customize or kit bash.
I agree, the hairstyles identify the Stooges. One of the hieroglyphics I painted in the box cover background was a row of 3 ankhs with stylized hairdoos of the Stooges on them...
I`d love to see a picture of it. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts