Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

I've been trying to upload WIP photos to the The Great Flash Gordon Invitational Community Build! thread, but I keep getting an error message: "This is not a valid image file". This message appears whether I use the new "Drag and Drop" or the old "Manage Attachments" tools, or when I try to download a URL. The photos are .jpgs made with the same camera and photo editing software I've used successfully before - before the upgrade to the HobbyTalk forums, that is.

I've tried a couple of times to contact the Administrators but haven't heard back. I have seen that other HobbyTalkers are posting photos, so I thought it would be better to just bring my problem to you all. Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Same for me. Checked that my file size was less than 500kb, but still no luck.

Have you tried using a different browser? Sometimes that helps.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I have been uploading all my pictures, for a long time, to Photobucket and adding a link to my posts here. I know there were size restrictions here so went into that mode long ago. Doesn't resolve your problem here directly but does give an alternative approach.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well, my pic posted. And it's a 1.09Mb file. I seriously doubt if it's your images, Mark. If you're somehow loading these directly through this site, and not a photo-hosting site (like Photobucket), chances are it's an issue with this sites photo loading abilities. Photobucket is free! Sign up. It's easy to use.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Photosuckit isn't the only option. There are plenty of other free image-hosting sites available. Generally I prefer the basic, no-frills site Hostpic.org. I just don't use it for anything I want to keep permanently, since they delete pictures after about two years.

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never been a fan of any of the photo hosting sites. They seem to run very slowly to me and I dislike having to join all these different sites. Yes, I'm a grumpy old user.

If the problem persists, I can still post pictures on my own web site. But it is a pain in the soft fleshy parts, considering I used to have no problems posting here. Progress... *sigh* :rolleyes:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Do you really think so? I find it to be a bit of a pain-in-the-youknowwhat...
Well, I work on a computer for a living, so yes, I find Photobucket to be extremely easy and user-friendly. You sign up, you hit the "click to upload" button, you choose your pics on your computer, they show up in your library, you hover over the thumbnail, click "share", copy the "image" link, and paste it into your post here on HT, and delete the URL tags. I'm sorry, but for me that is incredibly easy to do. It's a no brainer!

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Well, I work on a computer for a living, so yes, I find Photobucket to be extremely easy and user-friendly. You sign up, you hit the "click to upload" button, you choose your pics on your computer, they show up in your library, you hover over the thumbnail, click "share", copy the "image" link, and paste it into your post here on HT, and delete the URL tags. I'm sorry, but for me that is incredibly easy to do. It's a no brainer!
That's pretty much it and it doesn't take too much to learn the minimum things necessary to do the basics.

·
Curmudgeon
6,636 Posts
Oh, if only it worked so easily for me. Yeah, I hit the "click to upload" button and choose the pics on my laptop, then I can go out for a sandwich in the time it takes for even a single photo to upload. And since it's the most recent upload, it should be the very first photo in the album, right? Nope. Half of the time it gets filed elsewhere in the mix, and I have to search through the pages to find it. And that "share" and "copy the 'image' link" has never worked for me; I have to right-click, select "View image info", then copy and paste the URL from that pop-up window. And that's only if they're not performing their seemingly endless "routine maintenance". It's not exactly what I'd call "user friendly", but I've figured out how to work around the glitches.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Try imgur,

I use both photobucket and imgur but find imgur to be very user friendly

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yeah, I hit the "click to upload" button and choose the pics on my laptop, then I can go out for a sandwich in the time it takes for even a single photo to upload.
If you're experiencing a lag time when uploading, that's not Photobuckets fault. My photos upload in seconds, and I live in the boondocks and am using a DSL connection through some honky-tonk ISP provider. It could very well be your connection…your ISP provider. "Laptop"? How are you connecting to the 'net? Wireless? WiFi?

And since it's the most recent upload, it should be the very first photo in the album, right? Nope. Half of the time it gets filed elsewhere in the mix, and I have to search through the pages to find it.
I ran into this as well. There is a simple remedy though...Photobucket reads your most recent upload by the date the file was created. If you'd re-save your pic with today's date, in a photo-editing program (like Photoshop), it would put the pic at the top of the list and you wouldn't have to go searching through pages of Photobucket for your most recent upload. If you have an old photo, or one you just downloaded off the 'net, it is sure to bury it "anywhere" amongst your photo uploads. Resave the photo and it will be at the top of the list.

And that "share" and "copy the 'image' link" has never worked for me; I have to right-click, select "View image info", then copy and paste the URL from that pop-up window.
Arrrgh! You must be on a PC….the curse of the "right-click". I'm on a Mac. We don't do right clicks, we just "click".

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nonsense! :wink2: I use both Macs and PCs together, and I right-click on my Macs all the time!
Well then, you either are using Apple's Mighty Mouse or an inexpensive, two-button USB mouse. I started working on Macs when they first came out in the mid-1980's, and I've always used a one-click mouse. On a one-click mouse the only way to get the "right click" effect is to click while holding down the "control" button. Multi-click mouses are too "PC" for me, LOL.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
To each his own! :) I've used so many different computer platforms in my life, that they all seem so familiar, natural and native. It's like having to drive several different cars, after a short time, you get used to all of them.

And, you're right. I do use the same 2-button PC mice between computers. For me, it just means a smoother and more natural cross-platform workflow, taking full advantage from what each one offers.

·
Curmudgeon
6,636 Posts
If you're experiencing a lag time when uploading, that's not Photobuckets fault. My photos upload in seconds, and I live in the boondocks and am using a DSL connection through some honky-tonk ISP provider. It could very well be your connection…your ISP provider. "Laptop"? How are you connecting to the 'net? Wireless? WiFi?
Yeah, our connection isn't much better than two cans with a piece of string stretched between them. But of all the websites I visit regularly, Photobucket is by far the worst offender with regards to load time.

I ran into this as well. There is a simple remedy though...Photobucket reads your most recent upload by the date the file was created. If you'd re-save your pic with today's date, in a photo-editing program (like Photoshop), it would put the pic at the top of the list and you wouldn't have to go searching through pages of Photobucket for your most recent upload. If you have an old photo, or one you just downloaded off the 'net, it is sure to bury it "anywhere" amongst your photo uploads. Resave the photo and it will be at the top of the list.
Oh, good, another step I shouldn't have to do. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts