Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
It looks like its missing the upper and lower holes for the track bars. (The top arm) I might no be seeing it right though. Still looks like a nice solid piece.

Jeremiah Ward
QSAC #1974

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the motor plates 17 in pic.Made changes to the frames. They will be out soon.I think they will be than the prototype.It will be still a kit car.The top bar is made.For those who have seen it.

The servo plate made while making a frame.Saving time less operations,less handling of the part. Don't need to buy material . Keeping cost down.

We are making parts for 25 cars.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like its missing the upper and lower holes for the track bars. (The top arm) I might no be seeing it right though. Still looks like a nice solid piece.

Jeremiah Ward
QSAC #1974
Jeremiah my bad.It is for a Sprint Car. Wait until you the GN trailing arms.I am Just getting started.LOL:wave:

Vinnie thanks for your comment.

ED

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Here I have a project part for you.

Make an upper A-Arm (preferably for the Lightning) that uses a turn-buckle to adjust the camber instead of having to disassemble the upper section just to make an adjustment.

Now that is something I would like to see!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I have seen your site and you do nice intricate work so in those front arms could you incorporate these in the mounts to have caster automatic caster adjustments as you drive the car the caster blocks move back and give better stability and as you decelerate they move forward to give you more turn in bite. I used these on my race quad inside the arm mounts and they work awesome. I would imagine it would require some kind of roll pin/set screw to keep the worm bearings in one place.

Jeremiah Ward
QSAC #1974

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Make an upper A-Arm (preferably for the Lightning) that uses a turn-buckle to adjust the camber instead of having to disassemble the upper section just to make an adjustment.

Scott,I did that in 1991.I did not use a turn-buckle.Good idea!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Someone saw our prototype not close enough.To see it was adjustable.

It was not included in .In the new front end suspension at the time.It did change 1/4 scale though.The top heim was no longer bolted directly to the frame.

I did it to a lightning A-Arm drawing.Not sure where the drawing is.I will look for it.
If not i will draw it again.I think i did for Jeff Davis.Never made it.
Who makes Lightning now Bullseye? I would have to see if i could get an arm.Or just a pic to see it.

I was just thinking of your turnbuckle idea.What if the turn buckle had right and left hand threads.
Just unloosen the bolt.That would go right through the A-arm.Into the turn-buckle then adjust.Just a quick idea to try.All you need is a short radius rod.

ED

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yew, I was thinking left and right hand threads. Rh in the a-ARM then use a female lh thread heim. A locknut to secure it.
It's a good idea.You should try it.The way i look at it.An idea is never wrong.Just thinking out of the box.
I think a spherical bearing should be in the lower arm.Now the arm would be a little longer and stronger than the heim sticking out.Better travel. Also it would look better

ED

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
It's a good idea.You should try it.The way i look at it.An idea is never wrong.Just thinking out of the box.
I think a spherical bearing should be in the lower arm.Now the arm would be a little longer and stronger than the heim sticking out.Better travel. Also it would look better

ED
If I had the ability to machine parts I would have already done it. :D

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I had the ability to machine parts I would have already done it. :D
You can machine parts.You must have a vise.If so,You have 2 arms and most likely a hacksaw. Now you can machine a radius rod. I am just kidding with you.

There is alot one can do with just a drill press. If you buy 2 accessories.A Rotary table and a X,Y table.You can make every part on you car.

ED

·
Registered
174 Posts

back a few years ago I made a lightning upper a-arm mount with a slotted hole for the pin to go through, and then I used eccentric mounting washers,that worked ok, its a real easy fix to put turnbuckles in also, basicly just need to have Ed make a lightning upper arm to the right dimensions;) Ed and I made alot of 1/4 scale parts and cars,,alot of lightning style parts also back in the mid to late 90s.
And Ed if you want a quick drawing for that turn buckle arm email me!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I think the most difficult piece is the turnbuckle. Cutting back the A-arm and buying the heim aren't that big of a deal. But If I were doing/designing one the A-Arm would be shorter but adding some more beef at the threaded end, more than would be there just hacking off a stock one.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
back a few years ago I made a lightning upper a-arm mount with a slotted hole for the pin to go through, and then I used eccentric mounting washers,that worked ok, its a real easy fix to put turnbuckles in also, basicly just need to have Ed make a lightning upper arm to the right dimensions;) Ed and I made alot of 1/4 scale parts and cars,,alot of lightning style parts also back in the mid to late 90s.
And Ed if you want a quick drawing for that turn buckle arm email me!:thumbsup:
Ok You have mail.When you get a chance send it to me.I still have the full cage GN that you made.

Everyone have a safe holiday.

Thanks Fastleft.

ED

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I was thinking of putting that stud in the A-Arm and using a female heim on the steering block.

I don't think it will work without the A-Arm, it would be a single pivot point and not have a way to be steady. With just a single "rod" the top of the steering arm would just flop around. If that makes sense. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was thinking of putting that stud in the A-Arm and using a female heim on the steering block.

I don't think it will work without the A-Arm, it would be a single pivot point and not have a way to be steady. With just a single "rod" the top of the steering arm would just flop around. If that makes sense. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean.
Your idea will work.

I was making you think.I used the 2 heims to make you think.If you use just a regular rod end or eye. It would not move.One eye for mounting to frame or block. The other at 90 degrees to bolt to the spindle.Now is it legal not sure.

ED

1 - 20 of 21 Posts