Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you PRO1 Sprint Car guys.I was wondering. What the bearing block O.D.is? Or the bore in the arm.I designed a new arm. With a rear shock mount built in.I here guys are trying that setup.I just want to make the arm.To replace the old one.So it will fit the bearing block on the car.

Thanks ED:wave:

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Man, that looks trick! Mine measures 1.315 with a pair of calipers. Count me in for a set. Looks much better than the slab of alloy the stock piece is. Can you say BLING and light weight too:thumbsup: Ready to whip out the plastic, just say when and where!

Mark

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, that looks trick! Mine measures 1.315 with a pair of calipers. Count me in for a set. Looks much better than the slab of alloy the stock piece is. Can you say BLING and light weight too:thumbsup: Ready to whip out the plastic, just say when and where!

Mark
Thanks,
Mark for the dimension.I do all my ideas off of pics.With 1 dimension and a pic.I can make it.Most of the time. I don't need the dimension just the pic.I very close to what you gave me.I came up with 1.312. off the pic.Is the 1.315 the bearing block? Or the hole in the arm. I want the arm to fit the blocks on the market.This way the guy can just bolt on.
I will keep you informed.I have 2 sets ordered already.Two different guys asked me last week. To see what i could come up with.

ED:wave:

·
Registered
163 Posts
The arms that came with my Pro1 sprint car did have a shockmount hole similar to the design you shown but it is a solid piece with no cutouts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
first25q, what about designing the trailing arm to accept the bearing?

Just do away with the bearing carrier all together? Just a thought?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The arms that came with my Pro1 sprint car did have a shockmount hole similar to the design you shown but it is a solid piece with no cutouts.[/quoteThanks Harper,
Both in the front of the axle and rear mount shock postions.

Ed

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
first25q, what about designing the trailing arm to accept the bearing?

Just do away with the bearing carrier all together? Just a thought?
Harper doing that way will.Put more bend in the axle.Thus more axles bending or breaking.With the bearing block.It will also help stop. The bend of the axle under torque on the drive side.To do it that way one needs a bigger axle.Then hubs and gear carrier wil need to be redesigned.
Or turn down the axle.But that defeats the use of a bigger axle.Then you will get guys who will say.The bigger axle is to heavy.I would say wrong.
I am getting out of firing range.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Thanks,
Mark for the dimension.I do all my ideas off of pics.With 1 dimension and a pic.I can make it.Most of the time. I don't need the dimension just the pic.I very close to what you gave me.I came up with 1.312. off the pic.Is the 1.315 the bearing block? Or the hole in the arm. I want the arm to fit the blocks on the market.This way the guy can just bolt on.
I will keep you informed.I have 2 sets ordered already.Two different guys asked me last week. To see what i could come up with.

The 1.315 is the hole in the arm itself.:cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah, I get what your saying...the wide right side double bearing housing helps keep the axel from bending as easy.

Myself, I didnt like the trailing arms conecting solid to the bearing carriers so I am making my own trailing arms that will connect to the bearing carriers through heims and I am not using that wide bearing carrier. Then I will offset the right side bearing carrier out quite a ways sort of like alot of 600cc micros are setup.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I get what your saying...the wide right side double bearing housing helps keep the Axel from bending as easy.

Myself, I didn't like the trailing arms connecting solid to the bearing carriers so I am making my own trailing arms that will connect to the bearing carriers through hiems and I am not using that wide bearing carrier. Then I will offset the right side bearing carrier out quite a ways sort of like alot of 600cc micros are setup.
If you use the hiems.Then you will need a spherical bearing in the bearing block.If you are using the heims for camber.
It makes it weaker.

Good idea.Not trying to pick on you.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Just use asymmetrical bearings. At least it'll be intresting to watch it go around the track....:jest:

·
Registered
163 Posts
first25q, we are not on the same page or something?

Not sure why you think it needs a sperical bearing?

Not sure what you mean by camber ajustment on the "bird cage" so to speak as it would be refered to on a big car?

Are you familiar with a 600cc micro rear end? Basically, I am building a similar setup for my car. Micro's are very similar to the 1/4 scale sprints in that they have a live rear axel and are chain driven off the left side.

I particularly like the setup on a "Sawer Chassis" which is a local micro chassis builder in which they use a tubular trailing arm setup.

I am not taking it that you are picking on me...... we are obviously not on the same page...its all good!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
first25q, we are not on the same page or something?

Not sure why you think it needs a sperical bearing?

Not sure what you mean by camber ajustment on the "bird cage" so to speak as it would be refered to on a big car?

Are you familiar with a 600cc micro rear end? Basically, I am building a similar setup for my car. Micro's are very similar to the 1/4 scale sprints in that they have a live rear axel and are chain driven off the left side.

I particularly like the setup on a "Sawer Chassis" which is a local micro chassis builder in which they use a tubular trailing arm setup.

I am not taking it that you are picking on me...... we are obviously not on the same page...its all good!
No we are not on the same [email protected] different thoughts.
Going off a Sawyer that looks like a torsion type.With a hairpin type of trailing arm.

I thought you said you were going to use heims. To hold the bearing block to the arm.Something like the front ends with the heims. To mount the spindle.Then you use the heims to set camber.We were on 2 different thoughts.Its all good:wave:

ED

1 - 15 of 15 Posts