Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I'm guessing there's no one place or book to get that many prices, especially up to date. My thought is following eBait, but that would take a full-time secretary ??
I DO keep a log of purchase costs of all my buys, eBait and private, in case I kick off and my kids have to sell off my stash there's some basis.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
There's the price guide 'Classic Plastic Model Kits' by Rick Pilizzi, and the Thomas Graham Aurora book; between them these two might well covere the majority of the 300 kits you've got.
Trouble is, the prices the books give, and which seem very feasible, are often way over or way under the price the kits actually achieve on ebay, though often the same kit will perform very well one week and a lot less well the next week. But for insurance purposes, the guide books are good; they give most kits a highish value.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
dgtrekker,
That's exactly the reason I keep a log of mine. I've assigned my daughter as executrix and she would have no idea re: prices and they WOULD go flea-marting. Of course I've stated she give the forum folks first choice.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I am lucky my daughter is a modeler.
All my kits are being left to her.
She can keep what she wants and sell the rest (with that money going to her brother)

As for a guide.
There are a few. But as has been stated, the prices in them are practically obsolete by the time they have been printed.
The days of having "guide prices" are about gone.
Thanks to ebay anyone can look and see what things are selling for, and how many of them are out there. This causes prices to change rapidly and sometimes drastically.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
I look at this way.

I buy a model kit. I build a model kit. The value is almost zero once I built it. I got the fun out of building it. If the wife or kids don't like it enough to keep it in a shrine to dear old dad, they can toss it.

Everything else I plan to give away at future online garage sales - although my James Bond Corgi Toys collection may go to eBay.

I've never bought a model kit as an investment. I always thought they were for building.

Jim

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arronax said:
I've never bought a model kit as an investment. I always thought they were for building.Jim
I never bought a model that I didn't intend to build, but I guess I'm being paranoid that I won't get all of them done before something happens to them, and I certainly hope my kids just won't toss something I built when I'm gone.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
You're right to be wary, dgtrekker, even if you didn't buy the kits as an investment and originally intended to build them. They're still worth money, especially the unbuilt ones, and anyway the ones we've built are probably the only creative or artistic things some of us have ever done and can leave behind.

But the principal concern has to be the value, and the possibility that kits may be thrown out which are in fact valuable on the kit market. I've tried to sell lots of different things on ebay, but I wish that everything I sold could have earned as much as the model kits I see selling there. They may be just model kits, but they're realising a lot more money than many other 'prime-quality' collectables.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
That's my thought too Cro. You guys have tons of models and I'm a newbie, but even I have at least $3000+ in kits around here. Many unbuilt and limited edition resins, semi-rare styrene, etc. Plus some "collectibles" & figures. Who knows the value of what you guys have ??

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah that the problem...I mean I have an orginal Star Wars ROJ X-wing still sealed in the box I paid $4 for, but I know it would GO for more. All my orginal Star Trek kits I spent...what $3-$4 bucks on...not to mention Vipers, Battlestars and some resin kits that no one even makes anymore!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts