Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman pressure washer, 6.75 Briggs and Stratton engine, 2500 PSI, 2.2 GPM.

Last year the last time I used it , it seemed to die out, so me being lazy, and being the end of the season, i put it in the shed and left it there.

I brought it out, changed the gear oil, spark plug and changed the oil.

Didn't seem like too much oil came out,

I refilled it with about 16oz of oil.

When i finally turned it over, it ran, but didn't seem too strong, I sprayed for about 30 seconds, then noticed it started to sputter and smoke, so i shut it down before it stalled.

There was some oil coming out from under the muffler area, onto the frame.

Did I put too much oil in??

or did something else happened???

What can i do to diagnose and fix my engine.

Thanks

Barry

·
Registered
810 Posts
Has it been used much?
Check the engine oil level on the dip stick. Remove some if needed. 20oz is the usual amount for this size engine. Does it seem like it has compression when you try to start it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checked the dip stick, just a hair about full,
Maybe, not enough oil in it last year when storing, and it dried up my gaskets and seals?? just another thought.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I used to a bit last year. When I did start it , it seemed to be running at half power
How old is it? These engines have to work pretty hard to force water out of the nozzles, causing the engine to get pretty hot. One thing I would check is the compression, but I am sure you do not have a tester laying around.

·
Registered
810 Posts
That is about how much I use mine. I always change the engine oil every spring. Have you ever checked the engine oil in the five years? I ask as if it was run with low oil as you describe, then there may be internal damage due to low oil level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts