Hobbyist Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I have an ISP account, but it is through Telus and I barely use it because my Yahoo and Excite accounts are so old. Besides, Telus automatically deletes my "old" Email for me. Usually, "Old" means anything over 2 weeks old.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Sadly, I have updated the Polarpaedia with references to the passing of the PL BB. Pages updated are the Welcome page, Timeline and the Events page.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
MadCap Romanian said:
Hey, is there a way I can simply submit the photos of my models and/or send you the link to their whereabouts without having to make an acount?
You can click on "My Gallery" below your name and post them there. That's were I put mine because I don't have a site of my own.
Dabbler

·
Registered
384 Posts
Cool site with lots of memories.

An item which may be of interest- Remember the Golden Frankie Awards? A small number of kits crafted by several board members for presentation at a well known event? Around '99 I think.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi Jim. Got your E-mail. I'll post what I know here and hopefully others can fill in some blanks. In 98-99? there was a PL contest for repop wolfmen. Right around that time frame the suggestion was put up for PL to sponsor some awards at a major (I think) convention (Chiller? Wonderfest?). 7? repop Frankensteins were delivered to volunteers who did them up like Oscar awards. One of those was awarded to a relative of Boris Karloff. I don't think she liked Markenstein's tatoos (iirc). No names for the volunteers, sorry. They'll have to fess up by Barry Yoner Day or turn in their fez:hat:

The Wolfman contest was cool too. I remember lots of monochome entries and one REALLY wild entry where Wolfie was furred up like a sled pulling husky:thumbsup:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I remember because that was initiated under the Queen's reign. :) The first one went to Lee Staton for all his work in developing Wonderfest into the Modeling Mecca it is today. The second did go to the Karlof daughter...Sara?? I think that's her name and then I believe the award died off after that when I was de-throned and no one at PL picked up the cause.

The kits were Frankies that were assembled by BB members and then painted gold and were to be awarded each year at WF to an individual who made a significant contribution to our hobby. The awards were given at the Grand Finale dinner at WF. I seem to remember the first one going out in 2000....maybe someone could contact Lee Staton and see if he remembers since he got the first one.

Hugs and Love,
Da Queen :wave:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I remember that Steve Iverson built one of the golden Frankies, there used to be a write-up somewhere on his site.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I've slept too often since I last set foot in the Polar Lights office and my memory isn't as sharp as it once was. BUT it seems to me that there was still a gold painted Frankie stashed in the closet when I packed my stuff and moved out.
I had forgotten all the details of the Golden Franky awards although I did remember that the actual awards were built by BB members and that Lisa came up with the idea and arranged to get the kits built.

Dave

·
Registered
319 Posts
I most certainly remember the award and still display it proudly in my office at home. It was a huge honor to me. I've promised Jim I'll have Barbara take a photo of me holding the award for the Polarpedia. For all I know, I may have a photo from the original presentation at the banquet in boxes of photos from past WonderFests. And yes, Steve Iverson built mine!

I didn't recall that Sara Karloff got one. She was a guest at WF2001...and I got my Frankie on June 11, 2000...so you may be right, Lisa. She'd be the second. I'm getting old and just don't remember this stuff like I should. Plus, 17 years of WonderFests sorta run together for me!

As Indiana Jones said, "It's not the years, it's the mileage."

Lee

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Update time!

Yes, folks, it's still alive. The Polarpaedia has been updated:
  • Added the disappearance of the PL brand to Timeline
  • Edited the caption to the BB and PL links under Polar Sites
  • Added what information I have on the Golden Frankies under PLBB Traditions (still waiting on Lee's picture!)
Just in case, you want to check out the changes . . .

Jim

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
A small update but I added the smiling face of Lee Staton with his Golden Frankie to the PL BB Traditions page.

Thank you Lee for the photo.

Jim
Keeper of the Polarpaedia

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
A little pre-Wonderfest tweak to the Polarpaedia.

Events: Finally posted the photo that Lisa likes of her in her crown
Product related threads: Updated the Jupiter 2 entries with a bit more info, pics of both box art versions and (wow) a photo of Ron Gross

Noteworthy Threads: Added Cabin Fever contests (thanks, Roy) and an entry on the Flutophone incident which I can't complete because no one can tell me the whole story (Lisa?)

Companies and organizations: Updated the Round 2 entry to Autoworld (Tom Lowe's new venture)

PL Traditions: Added the Golden Frankies with information and a picture of Lee Staton with his Frankie

You can still visit or re-visit the Polarpaedia here

Jim

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Arronax said:
ANoteworthy Threads: Added ... an entry on the Flutophone incident which I can't complete because no one can tell me the whole story (Lisa?)
I won't tell the whole story, 'cuz Mum tells it best (especially when she uses sound effects!), but it involves a flutophone getting stuck... somewhere. :eek:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Jim - any chance of adding the list of cold cast Bowen's to the site (or am I just missing it). I know in the old days it was a sticky.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
fjimi said:
Jim - any chance of adding the list of cold cast Bowen's to the site (or am I just missing it). I know in the old days it was a sticky.
You can find the thread about the Bowen Wolfman list by just doing a search (at the top of this board) and typing in Bowen Wolfman. Phrankenstign has a list of who has the numbered models but as you will read in the thread, at one time the list had some inaccuracies.

I don't really want to paste this list to th Polarpadeia a) because it's Phrank's list and b) he maintains it (which means I wouldn't have to).

A link to Phrankenstign's site is on the Polar Sites page of the Polarpaedia. The list of Wolfman kits is linked at the top left of this page.

Jim

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
How about the list of numbered guillotines?

OR is Phrank doing that as well?
I would hate to see the thread lost in one of the cleanings.
Think I better find it and bump it back up again.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
TAY666 said:
How about the list of numbered guillotines?

OR is Phrank doing that as well?
I would hate to see the thread lost in one of the cleanings.
Think I better find it and bump it back up again.
I think the only list is on the thread you just bumped up. There is a link to this this thread in the Polarpaedia but given the fragility of the board (you never know when Hank will do another house cleaning :) ), I have copied the list to my hard drive and will post it on the Polarpaedia.

BTW, on the Bowen Wolfman list, I notice that Phrank hasn't updated his site since April 2006 so I have no idea how accurate it is.

Jim

61 - 80 of 103 Posts