Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I wish I had saved the original text of the Flute-o-phone story, I remember reading that in the middle of the night after working 2nd shift. I laughed so hard I woke up my wife in the other end of the house.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Am I never going to live down the Flute-o-Phone incident??? :freak: But for the sake of passing on our PLBB history and culture and because for some reason men love the story, I would be happy to recount it for Arronax if he thought it a worthy addtion to Polarpaedia. :thumbsup:

Hugs and Love,
Lisa

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Polarpaedia Update - April 20, 2006

Thanks to Trev's patience, I done a whole bunch of tweaking to the Polarpaedia (if I never see another %20 again, I'll be happy. It's a web authoring joke)

So what's new?
  • I tweaked the whole appearance on the site to conform to the PL site look (changed to Tahoma font throughout)
  • I added a faux Site Map page so you can see where things are and what was updated
  • I removed the Guest Book link and page until I can figure out how it works
  • I created a new Polar Sights Photo Gallery Home Page with links to seven smaller and more organized galleries
  • Added new photos, updated some entries, generally tidied up, swept out the cobwebs, sprayed for bugs, etc.
There's still time to add stuff. More photos, more stories, corrections, omissions, etc.

Jim

·
Registered
439 Posts
Question,
Wasn't there a point where member "join" dates were wiped clean ?
I vaguely recall having two profiles and having to create my present one because of some
computer glitch... Can anyone refresh my failing memory ?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
That does ring a bell.

And Jim is giving me way too much credit.
He is doing all the hard work here. I am just providing support and a few tips that I have picked up over the years.
He blew me away out of the gate with the design of this thing.
Especially considering it is his first site - ever :eek:

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
pagni said:
Question,
Wasn't there a point where member "join" dates were wiped clean ?
I vaguely recall having two profiles and having to create my present one because of some
computer glitch... Can anyone refresh my failing memory ?
It is referred to in the Polarpaedia (look under Events - The Great BB Purge) but I confess I don't have specifics (dates, post losses, the effect it had on people's lives, photos of Hankster with a menacing grin on his face as he pushes the button, etc.).

As with everything, if you have a contribution, please post it here or e-mail me.

Jim

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just love the "Dawn of Man" reference in the PLBB time line! What a creative freakin' hoot!!!

Hey...if you check with CultTVMan, he has a pic of me in "the crown" that might make for a better shot.

Also...shouldn't Jerry be noted as "still on vacation???"

Love the site! It totally rocks as the definitive place for all things PLBB.

Hugs & Love,
Lisa

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Adding model pics?

Hi guys!

I just came back to this board after a while to see how things were going.

As you all know, my wife and I own Monster Hobbies and I don't get much time to look at the computer.

In case you don't know, Monster Hobbies is located at 127 3rd Ave Sw, High River, Alberta, Canada and the phone number is 1-403-652-5019.

I like the Polarpaedia site. It's a great idea and the format is easy to follow. However, I am wondering if you would add in pictures of the model kits that we, the BB members, have built.

For example, many of you might remeber my pictures of Dracula, The Wolfman, Frankenstien, the Mummy and The Phantom of the Opera. If not, here's the link : http://public.fotki.com/ursulescu/monster_figure_kits/

Well, here's an idea....why not have somewhere on the web page a picture of each of the Polar Lights model kit box arts, simular to the Polar Lights catalogs. Each box art is an icon button that links that paticular model to the photo page it corrisponds to. The photo page can have an unlimited ammount of entries of that paticular kit, as long as they don't stray away from it.

For example, the Polar Lights Dracula box will link to a page of various PL Dracula model kits (Mine included) so that future visitors to the site can see what that paticular model looked like and how different BB members built their paticular model and how they photographed it.

This would be an awesome idea because it would present the PL models in a chronological manner. Plus I'm sure some BB members have some of the PL kits I missed in the past due to limited numbers, lack of funds and plane old general disinterest in that subject manner (I wasn't into the "Wacky" distortion cars.).

It's an idea that could benifit the web site because I know people will want to know which PL products were made and which ones might still be out there.

I guess what I'm saying is that this would be an online version of the book "Aurora model kits", only that it would be "Polar Lights model kits".

What do you think?

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ya killing me, MCR.

Those are great ideas but a lot of work. Getting the stuff we have now was the result of contributions from a relatively small but eager group of people. Trying to build a comprehensive gallery of all PL models would be a mammoth undertaking. And, frankly, I do have a day job.

I did include a link to Phrankenstign's site which has the complete list of PL kits.

No, I'd rather the Polarpaedia be just a repository for the inane but memorable goings on of the PLBB.

Of course, if someone wants to build the ulitimate comprehensive PL model gallery, I'd be glad to contribute and link to that site.

Jim

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Besides.
There is already something similar to it online already.
The model museum.
http://www.theclubhouse1.net/museum/

There are 287 submissions that come up in a search for polar lights kits
http://www.flatdb.com/cgi-bin/ftcedgedya.pl

What you are talking about, while a cool idea, is a ginormous amount of work.
I know that Spock puts in long hours every day, just handling the submissions for the museum.
I know from first hand experience that it is hard to find time to handle even the small amount of submissions that I get for my prehistoric scenes gallery.
I have more pics to add right now, but no time to get to it.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Well, is there a simpler way to do it in that the actual BB member can follow directions in a "Format" type of way, submit his own photo and have it appear in the right place?

Much the same way that fotki does it?

That way you don't need one paticular person devoting his life to updating picture submissions.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
MadCap Romanian said:
I see that "the Clubhouse" won't allow Yahoo or Excite accounts, so that puts me out.
Yeah, sorry about that.
It's a security feature that had to be done to keep the trolls and troublemakers out.
The free email sites have absolutely no follow up on abuse complaints about their members.
I'm surprised your ISP does not furnish an email account.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts