Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good used power supply for my Orion charger. What amperage output should I be looking for? What's some recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
if your just running a single charger off it, you really don't need anything too big. I have a pro peak 20 amp power supply I was running 2 GFX's off of and it was more than enough. I've since upgraded simply because I'm running 3-4 chargers at a time between two of us racing. I'll make you a heck of a deal if your interested in it.

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
If you're only gonna use one charger and not charge over 10 amps, you don't need anything over a 15 amp supply. Never know when you may need to run a second charger so a 20 amp wouldn't be a bad choice. Better to have a little extra than come up short. JMO! ;)

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
If you're only gonna use one charger and not charge over 10 amps, you don't need anything over a 15 amp supply. Never know when you may need to run a second charger so a 20 amp wouldn't be a bad choice. Better to have a little extra than come up short. JMO! ;)
If its just one, and only 10 amp, you dont need anything more than an 8 amp power supply.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Normally, 20-30 amps continuous is preferrable. Most chargers only need around 10-14 amps so you really only need enough to cover all items you'll be running simultaneously, or enough to start your biggest power item. In my case, it's the Hudy Automatic Tire Truer. I've noticed that some power supplies handle an initial spike of amp draw differently. The Hudy initially draws more than 32amps of power when it turns over the motor, then falls way down to a few amps.

The Alinco 330MV power supply is known as one of the best in the Ham radio hobby. It has the most features, adjustable voltage (5V - 15V), programmable pre-set voltage function, noise cleaning, excellent metal construction, and it's bulletproof. It's safety features prevent sending more than 32amps. It will not start my Hudy because of this safety feature. The fan is off unless needed, then it's variable speed, very nice! Price is $140.

I have purchased many of the Pyramid PSV200 (20 amp) and PSV300's (30 amp). Of the two, I actually like the PSV200 better because the fan only comes on when needed, and the power button is a big pushbutton instead of a rocker switch. I've had 1 PSV300 arive DOA. The PSV200 will not start my Hudy properly. Price is $55-$65.

The Radio Shack power supplies look very similar to the Pyramid power supplies, and have similar features, but cost more.

The most popular "gotta have it" power supply in our RC world, is the Rivergate Bulldogs. IOTA is a lesser known name in the RC world, but it's actually the parent company of Rivergate. (Rigergate is simply a rebadged IOTA.) These are known as the workhorse powersupplies. Excellent electronic quality. Option to switch it from 13.8V to 14.2V using a phone plug jumper. Easy to mount this power supply on something. The fan is off unless needed, but Ive noticed even at idle (no load) the fan will turn on VERY slowly for a minute, then off for about 7 minutes). Kind of annoying since the super slow fan speed is not really moving any air. 30 amp price is $120 for the IOTA, $165 for the Rivergate. (Yes they are the same thing).

The recently batch of IOTA's and Rivergates have changed their exterior to a very bland (ugly in my opinion) looking exterior. Looks like a hunk of dull sheetmetal bent into a box shape. They removed the heat sink fins on the 30 amp and 15 amp versions as well. They don't even have a power switch!

But you certainly can't knock the power of these power supplies. IOTA DLS-30M starts the Hudy correctly with this power supply.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions ;) Now I know what to look for.

'Preciate all the help!

Casper60, PM with what you want for that deal ;) Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts