Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
17.5 Briggs & Stratton Starting Problem

I have a Poulan Riding mower with a 17.5 HP Brigss & Stratton engine. I recently replaced starter and battery, now it will barely turn over? I have checked the connections, and all is ok with them? Could it be the solenoid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Napa Auto Parts got the starter for me and I charged the battery when I bought it. Is there a chance something shorted out? I agree it doesn't act like a charged battery.....

·
Registered
750 Posts
still, make sure it still has full power, make sure that nothug us shorting like you said, then remove the starter and connect it to the battery, and see if it will run

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Check the valve lash on your engine. Too much clearance will render the compression release inoperative, this will result in higher engine compression that the starter motor may not be able to overcome.

Also make sure that the carburetor is not flooding or leaking fuel into the cylinder and causing a hydraulic lock.

Take out the spark plug and see if it will spin over ok with the electric starter. Be sure to ground the spark plug lead wire so if any gas comes out when you crank the engine over it will not ignite and start a fire.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the spark plug and it would turn over. But when I installed the plug and tried again the starter begin to smoke? So is there too much compression? How do I check the valve lash,etc...? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maybe you should look at how the starter motor is connecting to the flywheel, maybe it's binding up. Did the mower run before the starter change out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it did. The first time I tried after installing the starter, it ran great. But last week when I tried it woundn't engage?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
to check the valve lash you have to remove the valve cover. Then with the engine at top dead center, check the clearance between the rocker arm and the valve stem. (I am making an assumption that your engine is an OHV). For the proper valve lash settings you will need your model number and you can look them up on the Briggs website, or post your model and type number and I can get them for you.

Too much compression can cause a starter to smoke, also insufficient current can cause a similar problem. Make sure your cables are good, and that all connections are clean and tight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Up and running!!

I want to thank everyone here for all of your help! I ordered a new starter from Briggs and Stratton and found out as soon as I took it out of the box...the other starter was evidently an after market starter!! It was so flimsy
and cheap compared to this new one!! So again.....Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts