Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody has built up a Monogram or PL Kong using the 'missing parts' set that PP made? I'm curious about what came in the set and how well it went together. I'm keen to lay my hands on one as I have just picked up a Luminator Kong I would like to 'Aurora-ise'.

On a side note, I only have to get a Godzilla repop to complete my Mean 13 collection. In the course of finding Kong, I've decided to get a complete set if the Lumi monsters. I just need a second Lumi Kong and the Wolfman.

It's been a good year for me, styrene wise...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Well its not like the reissue kit was missing much... just the fronds from some of the palm trees. I found some nice plastic birthday cake topper palms that had decent fronds that were way better than what came in the kit in the first place, and just stick on the nubs on top of the kit trunks.

Myself I don't like the luminators models, at least if you want to paint them. The plastic is rubbery and soft and does not bond well using most model cememnts. CA glue just sits on the stuff without curing. Even strong welder glues like Tenax just dont work very well. It also doesnt sand or trim well; it gets "hairy" when you try to smooth it out.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Oz...

Here is my PL Kong from about 10 years ago with Posthumous add-ons...this one was built with Testors paints mostly. I hope to re-do this kit someday...

MMM

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well its not like the reissue kit was missing much... just the fronds from some of the palm trees. I found some nice plastic birthday cake topper palms that had decent fronds that were way better than what came in the kit in the first place, and just stick on the nubs on top of the kit trunks.

Myself I don't like the luminators models, at least if you want to paint them. The plastic is rubbery and soft and does not bond well using most model cememnts. CA glue just sits on the stuff without curing. Even strong welder glues like Tenax just dont work very well. It also doesnt sand or trim well; it gets "hairy" when you try to smooth it out.
I'm not a fan of the "Luminator" models either, unfortunately I own four of them. But, except for sanding issues (hard to see if you've got the seams right due to the colored plastic and my poor eyesight), I haven't had the problems you have. I've used both Tenax and CA glues with good results. The one big issue, besides the colored plastic/seam filing thing, is that even after washing the parts in warm water and dish soap, the plastic leaves a residue of colored powder which gets on everything. Maybe this is what's causing your gluing issues? Anyway, I've assembled two of them, Frankenstein and The Mummy and both are holding up well. Frank will be a year old next week!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I'm sitting here looking at my painted Luminator Kong, Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, Mummy, and Phantom of the Opera. They're all intact with the original glue (Testors). I actually paid John Green $50.00 for the Kong because it was so hard to find. This was pre-Polar Lights of course.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guy, and MMM thanks for posting the pics. Nice job on the kit, I like the detailing on the base.

My confusion about what's 'missing' arose from the rather cryptic instruction sheet. I've always found Revell/Monogram instructions very poorly illustrated. Add to the mix the fact that I have an extra Palm trunk (#11) that isn't shown on the sheet and it really got me wondering how the kit was set up in the Aurora days.

I agree that the plastic composition is strange. It is very 'rubbery' and does not sand easily. I'm not worried about that for the set I am building as straight Luminators. I've found a fresh x-acto blade scraped along the seam will take much of the flash away cleanly, and little other work needs to be done given the seams are so obvious on the unpainted plastic anyway.

I was given a spare Dracula head by Beck a while back to make my new Revell Dracula more Aurora. I managed to clean up the seam fairly well with scraping and sanding with a fine grit paper. I then sculpted the hair texture back in with a file and the end result is pleasing enough to me. It certainly takes a little more work to get a clean finish than it does with conventional styrene.

MMM, what is included in the PP set? Is it just the palm fronds, or were other pieces omitted in the Mongram kits too?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I meant to mention in my previous post that use Revell Contacta Liquid cement and it bonds the Luminator plastic in seconds! I put a few pieces together on Kong's base this morning and in spite of some warping I got a perfect bond without having to clamp the parts.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Thanks for the replies guy, and MMM thanks for posting the pics. Nice job on the kit, I like the detailing on the base.

MMM, what is included in the PP set? Is it just the palm fronds, or were other pieces omitted in the Mongram kits too?
Oz,
Thanks for the compliments...it really needs to be re-done as the base just begs for some drybrushing and I don't like the color I used for the fur...should be more grey/black...not brown/black.

It has been a very long time since I put this together but from what I remember, it was like 3 fronds and maybe 1 or 2 tree trunks. I wasn't aware that those replacement parts were still available after all this time...

Good luck with your build...make sure you post pics when finished.

MMM

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks MMM, I'm not sure if the set is still available, but I've fired off a few emails, and I'll post here what I find out. The Lumi Instructions say that the fronds are all part 23. I think A little variety might be nice so I may look for alternatives if I can't source the kit.

There is a board game called 'Heroscape' and that had a jungle terrain pack released last year. Beautifully finished palms and bushes, but a little too big for the model I think.

I'll definitely get my gallery off and running in the new year. I've actually completed a few kits in the last twelve months. I've bought more than I've finished though, LOL.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Plastruct makes a TON of beautiful pre finished palm trees in every conceivable size. They come packed in a long tube. Although putting a Plastruct tree on the Aurora Kong is sort of like putting makeup on a pig. They come in sets of half a dozen trees for probably $29. I haven't seen them in a while to know the current price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts