Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been quite a while since I put up any new pics in my Photo Album. So I posted a few of my James Bond & Oddjob vignette ("...And He Never Misses."), and a few of King Kong. Sorry but the 007 photos are somewhat ratty - I think the camera was a little too close to the Dremel Magnagouger when I snapped 'em.

Enjoy, and have a great weekend!

Mark McG.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Awesome! I really like the life-like detailing on JB and OJ. Seeing them together on the base, I want to yell, WATCH OUT! King Kong's extra work, is so much like seeing the movie.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, L.C. You know, one of the titles I considered for the vignette was, "Watch Your Back, Mr. Bond". I had been rereading the Ian Fleming novels (those wonderful Pocketbook paperback editions), and I could've sworn that the title had been a chapter title in one of the books. But since both Bond and Oddjob were armed, I thought that it would be more fun to make the title a little ambiguous, hence "...And He Never Misses." I think Ian Fleming would have approved.

Mark McG.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
I love looking at your built-ups, man. Very cool indeed. Are they the original heads from the kit or are they replacement heads for bond and odd job?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Excellent eye for realistic shading and tiny details (lights on Robin's control panel esp.). Basework on Hulk is inspired.

IMO you've hands down got the best Dracula facepaint I've ever seen. I've always disliked the stock sculpt but you really nailed Famous Monsters #35...have to ask if it was inspiration?

Ditto Frank: it's the most corpse-like rendering I've seen and you even got the live/dead looking eye in there, too!

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
As usual, never disapointing Mac. Nice extra effort on Faye Wray and all of the shadings.
Dabbler

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
VERY COOL STUFF Mark! :thumbsup:

I think its about time that we get a Mark McGovern Claasic Horror kit! in 1/6th scale... w/ a BIG dremel, various implements of destruction, plenty of body parts and oh yes Blood and bandages optional. :p

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Duck Fink said:
Are they the original heads from the kit or are they replacement heads for bond and odd job?
No, they're originals. Somebody posted a photo of their built-up 007 a while back, in which they added that little lock of Sean Connery's hairpiece that always hung off the right side a bit. That tiny detail did a whole lot to strengthen the kit resemblance to the actor. I'm going to add that someday.

frankenstyrene said:
I've always disliked the stock sculpt but you really nailed Famous Monsters #35...have to ask if it was inspiration?
No, again - but thanks for the compliments and the link. I just wanted to get that fun movie-vampire look off dark circles around Drac's eyes. The idea was an afterthought; I'd already finshed his face using artists oils, but Dracula just didn't look "monstery" enough. So I went in with a bit of purplish pastels and bingo - dead-looking vampire.

Here's a tip for doing the classic Aurora Frankenstein's eyes: paint whatever horrible basic flesh color you want on his head. Then you can detail his eyes. there's so little to see, you can get away with just a tiny black stripe in there for the pupil, a stripe of iris color on either side of that (I used brown), then fill in the whites. Seal this work with a clear gloss, and when that's dry you can ring the eyelids with a pinkish flesh. Once the eyeballs are done you can clean up the eyelids as needed. If you detail the face with a dark wash and drybrushed highlights those heavy eyelids will protect your carefully painted eyes.

dabs and fluke, Thank you for your kind remarks. Since the Aurora models have been around so long, I try to do something new with them. As for the 'Gouger kit, a 1/6 scale would be prohibitively costly to produce (all those glow-in-the-dark parts).

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
OK......howsabout 1/12th and Chris White can do the box art! :p

Would that be a Teen or Adult rated kit?.....There might be a problem with Walmart or Target sales.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Despite your somewhat dubious skills with a moto-tool, you really nailed these kits. That is without a doubt the best Fay Wray I've seen to date. The paint and detail on Bond and Odd Job are equally stunning. I tip my hat before such talent.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Impressive, as always, Mark!! You always hear people be kinda down on the sculpt of Bond's face, but I have always believed it depends on the rendering of the sculpt. And I can DEFINITELY see Connery in you rendering!! Great job!

And, of course, all the other kits look fantastic, also!!

Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm touched, and not in the clinical sense...

Guys,

It means a lot to get this kind of feedback from people who have shown from their own photographs the high level of work that they can produce, and have thereby shown that they know what they're talking about. Thank you, one and all.

Sincerely,

Mark McG.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
BTW, I never showed you the pics of the retouched Wagon. Not only did I paint the inside of the exhausts black, I got rid of the ejector pin marks on the hand!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts