Votes: 39 79.6%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 4 8.2%

Post your thoughts for 1/64 M2 Camping Trailers

11K views 49 replies 26 participants last post by  gunn 
#1 ·
I have spoken to Sean about the idea of making Vintage Trailers and he thinks it's not a great idea and I wanted to see what your thoughts are about the subject ???

This is a Poll for M2 Camping Trailers if you feel it's worthy enough for M2 to make ??? ....

Post Good idea or Bad idea or Not sure when you post.

How should M2 market them ???? Single or w/ Truck & Trailer Combo ???

Post what styles you think M2 should go after ...

We all know Silverstream/Airstreams are popular but do not forget M2 has to keep the line going so Painted Trailers is a must have too..

Here is some ideas I have in pics.... Post away in your thoughts

1948 Westcraft Sequoia Trailer

1950 Traveleze Travel Trailer

1954 Traveleze Travel Trailer

Silver 1953 Airstream Flying Cloud Travel Trailer

Vintage Airstream

Tear Drop Trailers

????

See less See more
#10 ·
For a small company like M2, it takes guts to put time and money into something that's more of an accessory than a motor vehicle. But I think at least one trailer would pay off handsomely for them in the long run. Especially if it's mostly plastic. And if it were diecast - which is preferred, it would still be worth it.

M2 cars and pickups lack a ball hitch, so a trailer wouldn't be directly compatible with the current lineup. But it's worth considering for the future. Make it generic to avoid licensing issues, then sell it as a trailer/vehicle combo in a variety of colors and vehicle combinations, and in the Auto-Hauler price range. Campers smack of the kind of nostalgia collectors love.

Vintage Shasta...

Downey Pullman Camper, Deluxe Slide Roof.
One of the original truck campers.

1950 Traveleze Travel Trailer
I Love this Packard Caribbean/Traveleze combination.

#12 ·
Seems everyone likes the idea which is awesome :thumbsup:.... Now how do we convince M2 that it's a great idea that we love to add these accessories to our collection...

I personally think M2 can put them in a Truck/ Trailer Combo priced at $11.99ea to launch the idea to get everyones attention - they would sell everytime they were pegged or shelved.

IMHO they would be a huge hit for all types of collectors too since their is nothing out in the market right now in 50-60s Trailers...

Dio Builders from Farms to Beaches to Trains would buy these... These trailers will work for any setup as long as they are done properly which we know M2 would do.

After the Trailers M2 can work on Vintage Boats :thumbsup:

Then single Flat Bed Trailers for Car Hauling :thumbsup:

Then single Trailers designed for Vintage Harley / Indian Motorcycles :thumbsup:

The list goes on and on and on and on .....

#21 ·
OK, first off I never every said that trailers where a bad idea. I think you've taken my words out of context. :confused: M2 simply just can't make something just to make something, it's not that easy. We have to plan out and prepare for the life of a new line/product. Obtain licenses, develop tooling, develop packaging, work on price point, create SKU number, plan for future grow in the line. Even after all that is done, it's not a guarantee or slam dunk that the retailers are even going to carry the new product. We have two times a year to show new products. If they do like it, that means that they would have to remove an existing product from the pegs to make room. At M2 right now, we have a lot going on. I believe that the timing is not right for us. Maybe in the future.

For the products that do make it to pegs/toy shelves, please know that there's a lot of work behind them. It's not just simply working on a casting, choosing nice colors and picking rims. When I started in die cast about 8 years ago, a veteran mold maker told me this. "Ideas are the easy part. Most are very similar if not the same. What separates them is the person who can bring these ideas to the store pegs."

Thanks, Sean

#13 ·
I'm a huge fan of any kind of trailer and would love to see them sold as singles at the same price point as the cars are now.

The problem I see is the cost of adding a chassis with a tow hook to some of the existing castings - if they don't then we're stuck with whatever upcoming models they would be willing to provide them on. Then you have the folks that just don't want a tow hook on everything. Ideally it would be nice if all car bases were cast with a screw hole and mount locatoin for a two hook that could be provided with the trailer.

#17 ·
I'm a huge fan of any kind of trailer and would love to see them sold as singles at the same price point as the cars are now.

The problem I see is the cost of adding a chassis with a tow hook to some of the existing castings - if they don't then we're stuck with whatever upcoming models they would be willing to provide them on. Then you have the folks that just don't want a tow hook on everything. Ideally it would be nice if all car bases were cast with a screw hole and mount locatoin for a two hook that could be provided with the trailer.
Just like the plow frames are done. They are easily removed.
Dan, I think your price point might be a little low, but as you said, it would get people's attention. Perhaps the line should be started with an accompanying tow vehicle and then sell the trailers separately.

#15 ·
frame suggestion

What about a diecast frame, tandem axles rectangular shape. Say 16' (scale) so a plastic car hauler bed with fenders would fit, a plastic box utility style body, a camper, open utility trailer, hot dog/vending/souvenier style body, etc.

Same chassis, use the truck wheels, just the bodies are different.

#16 ·
I voted good idea. However, I must caveat that with not being a fan of M2 yet because I see way too many cars broken in their packaging. I agree that every diecast company has their flaws but from what I've seen, M2 has some quality control issues. Not trying to turn the flavor of this thread and admittedly, I really like their Ground Pounder series and am quite tempted to collect that line. The blue GSX I saw yesterday was incredible!

I do think that a trailer series (of any style) will work with the collectors!

#20 ·
I bought the Maisto F-150 police truck hauling a 55 Buick just for the trailer. I popped the hitch off the F-150 and it fit the screw holes of the M2 F-100 perfectly. It's a little large but once the trailer is attached you can't see it.

I don't know if that would be true of all M2s but if it is, they could just include a trailer hitch in with the camper.

#24 ·
I have worked in the Manufacturing business and I currently work for a fabricating business and I do know there is a lot involved in creating something. However, I believe the whole purpose of liv creating this post was just to find out who would be interested in M2 to create trailers and ect, to go along with the Trucks that M2 is producing. I think the post is getting misconstrued, I for one would love to see M2 produce other items like trailers, campers, boats, etc. but again I understand all the work that is involved, licenses etc. and wouldn't expect it to be produced in a year, maybe 5 yrs down the road... I think these trailers, campers, etc would be great for all sorts of dio's like Train dio's car dios, etc. Just my opinion... :wave:

#26 ·
Thank you Shell for explaining my intentions here. :wave:

Hello Sean and thank you for chiming in. Well, my intentions here was to post a thread to see if this is a " good idea " or a " bad idea " or if the idea is on the iffy side if it should be made. I was curious in hearing what other collectors had to say if this is something they would buy if they saw it pegged up in the store. Sean, I know you like making the 50-60s Cars and I was thinking outside the box here in Vintage Car Trailers - Vintage Boats ect.. to go with the Vintage Cars/Trucks...

I know it wouldn't happen over night or even in the next 5 years as M2 has too many irons in the fire at this time, but it is something to dabble on in thinking outside the box in what we talked about Sean.

Maybe we both misunderstood each other when we spoke. My apologies.

#28 ·
Great ideas, but I would agree it is not the right time.
But if M2 has intentions of expanding it's capabilities for the future, the inclusion of lifestyle items (campers, trailers, boats) would round out their product line nicely.

Sean mentioned that in order for stores to accommodate these items, something has to be removed, and that's a valid point. The greatest hurdle may be convincing the stores to dump enough of the Disney/Pixar type stuff to make room for these things, and that could be a tough sell. Otherwise the best option may be to market them online through die cast sites, and through other more specific hobby related channels.

#29 · (Edited)
Another great point in selling them online if the Retail Stores do not want to make room and carry them.... Maybe sell them on OLDs only..... I am sure the OLDs would like that as that will bring in more business for them.

I am not expecting M2 to make these over night as it may take them 1 year to put everything in order for the first release.

It was just an idea that came to my head to share with Sean....... If I had all the funds, I would team up with M2 and make it happen

#35 · (Edited)
I always remember station wagons hauling the travel trailers more than pickups. You had to put the rug rats somewhere! I would love to see some vintage trailers but I'd rather have the wagons to pull them first. Some '50s-'60s family trucksters would be a welcome addition to the M2 line.

Your custom work is awesome Gunn, nice job on the camper!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.