Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love looking at displays, trying to get some ideas. I thought about buying some bookshelfs from walmart or another cheap furniture store, and modifying them into hotwheels cases............ I plan on having around 1500 cars on average, so, i need creative ways to display them. I will probably open the mainlines and keep the collectors in the blister packs............

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is one way of displaying your cars, I have this shelved in the garage, Would love to display this in my living room but Its too deep, I would love to see some living room displays you guys have... :)

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
This was my first display. Its now a DVD shelf. Held several hundred cars. A dusting nightmare too! Be creative and try and keep em' covered from dust and too much light if you can.

Monster Jams!

This is an older pic of Mrs.CPs Cars collection. A few more added since.

These are in the livingroom.

Some other small displays I have built.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
This came from IKEA. It is 4ft wide and 18" deep X 7ft high. There is a wooden shelf at every band acrooss the doors making 8 seperate compartments. Within each compartment there is a glass shelf in the middle and an led light at the top so each individual compartment is lit. Comes in red or natural birch. Cost me about $300 or so and I have since filled it with my 1:18 and 1:24 stuff.

The large white pegboard unit you see is actually baker's rack shelving. It is one of the large chrome units with the round poles on each corner and the open oven rack shelves. It is on wheels. I covered 3 sides of it in pegboard I bought at Lowe's. I filled it with boxes and jammers full of diecast and turn the open side to the wall leaving only the pegboard exposed. I thought this was a good way to hide stuff AND have a place to hang packaged items. Now when I need to get to something stored on the shelves I simply roll it away from the wall. In front of it you see a large acrylic cube. It used to be an archtectural mock up for an office park complete with buildings made of styrene. The scale was WAY too small for diorama use so I gutted it and now use it for larger scale stuff. It fits tight around the base and I seal it with blue painter's tape(removable w/no residue) and it is 100% airtight. No dust EVER.

Most of you have seen this. It is a Timex watch display I bought at an antique mall for cheap. It stands about 5ft high, is motorized for rotation and it lights up. I currently have 270 cars in it.

Carney plastics make GREAT display pieces. They are not super cheap but boy do they look good. The mirrored backs display the best but they are tough to photograph without glare. The cost for the larger cases works out to virtually $1 per car shipping included in the price so I don't generall display $1 cars in them. For me these are reserved for hunts, RLC, GL, JL etc.

I have a couple more Carney cases on order right now. I have done some rearranging since this photo but this is what my room looked like at one point.

I have thought about building a few displays myself but if you are like me and don't have the time then you gotta spend the money. Like the old addage goes they are one in the same.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Dude what a trip! I pulled this off the shelf dusted it off and plugged it in. It still works. I haven't used this in 20 years. How about a better pic Rattlehead?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Nice display:) do u have a link to the ikea display case?
I can't find it on their website. I DID find it in the catalogue. It is called a Bergsbo bookcase with glass doors.
Catalogue #: 901.366.88 is white
101.366.87 is red

I bought the LED lights there too(in the showroom) they came 4 to a set, they are small round flat discs with self adhesive on the back with about 6 leds in each disc. Each disc has a wire that connects back to a central control box. Since there are 8 compartments I had to buy 2 sets at $40 ea. The cabinet sold for $250 and $80 total for the lights.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't find it on their website. I DID find it in the catalogue. It is called a Bergsbo bookcase with glass doors.
Catalogue #: 901.366.88 is white
101.366.87 is red

I bought the LED lights there too(in the showroom) they came 4 to a set, they are small round flat discs with self adhesive on the back with about 6 leds in each disc. Each disc has a wire that connects back to a central control box. Since there are 8 compartments I had to buy 2 sets at $40 ea. The cabinet sold for $250 and $80 total for the lights.
thanx........

1 - 20 of 42 Posts