Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, I have written the site Administrator concerning his arbitrary changing of my password without my permission and my dissatisfaction in that regard. Also, in trying to establish a new password, I was subjected to 2 ad displaying human verification windows that ask you to answer a "question" asked by the ad. In my case, one had to do with BOTOX and had me write their slogan answer into the verification box. This was followed by a second such requestor for a different ad before I could go change my password.

In my view, having sponsor ads cluttering my window is bad enough. But, at least, these ads are related to our hobby. These human, "anti-robot" ads are for products of various sorts and require the typed in "answer" be whatever they wish you to put in, a part of their advertising.

I have demanded that this verification company be dropped. Or, simply put, I will no longer come to Hobbytalk. I have been here for over a decade. I shouldn't have to tolerate commercials on my chosen hobby site anymore than I would want to watch commercial TV (which I don't watch anymore)!

So, if I run into these commercials again, I will withdraw.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There was a security problem if I recall and all of us had our passwords reset. it was not just an arbitrary change. It was necessary because all of your private data was compromised by a security breach.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Friends, I have written the site Administrator concerning his arbitrary changing of my password without my permission and my dissatisfaction in that regard. Also, in trying to establish a new password, I was subjected to 2 ad displaying human verification windows that ask you to answer a "question" asked by the ad. In my case, one had to do with BOTOX and had me write their slogan answer into the verification box. This was followed by a second such requestor for a different ad before I could go change my password.

In my view, having sponsor ads cluttering my window is bad enough. But, at least, these ads are related to our hobby. These human, "anti-robot" ads are for products of various sorts and require the typed in "answer" be whatever they wish you to put in, a part of their advertising.

I have demanded that this verification company be dropped. Or, simply put, I will no longer come to Hobbytalk. I have been here for over a decade. I shouldn't have to tolerate commercials on my chosen hobby site anymore than I would want to watch commercial TV (which I don't watch anymore)!

So, if I run into these commercials again, I will withdraw.

I don't disagree with you, but as I said on another board that made some sudden change, it's not my house, I'm a guest. If I want to stay a guest I have to find a way to deal with it.

You'll be missed. Honest, you will if you believe you have to leave, and only you can decide that cost/benefit analysis.

But for your future knowledge, if you go to any other site that requires a 'capture' typed password deal, and if it's those annoying ads? Keep hitting the 'ask new' toggle, usually it's a circle with an arrow on one end. I didn't want to say 'refresh' because you might think I meant to refresh the whole page. No no no.

If you keep cycling the 'new question' button eventually you'll get JUST a challenge question, not one of the ad based ones. Something like "type keyboard and mouse". It may take a while but it should happen.

I hope that helps everyone. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I shouldn't have to tolerate commercials on my chosen hobby site anymore than I would want to watch commercial TV (which I don't watch anymore)!
Unless you pay to use this site you have no right to expect an advertisement free environment.

---------------

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Unless you pay to use this site you have no right to expect an advertisement free environment.

---------------
This is ultimate truth, of course. Like I said, not my house, not my rules, gotta cope to keep in.

I think what really chapped his shorts was the ad-driven challenge point. That I don't blame him at all.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Adblock plus is your friend, I only ever see the sponsor ads.
You BETCHA! I was a Radio Disc Jockey for forty + years, and the public is saturated with money grubbers doing all they can for that elusive $!

With Adblock, I opt out of that crap. Some sites won't let me post or view...they lose! Some just scold me like The Lost In Space Forum:

Please consider supporting this website by disabling your ad-blocker.
This website does not use audio ads, popups, or other annoyances. Thank you!

Sorry. Disabling it does NOT mean I am "supporting this website". Nice try. Nope. What tipped the scales for me, was buying CABLE all those years ago. TV used to be free. Advertising paid for it. Now, ya PAY and have to sit thru the most inane, stupid, brainless bunch of crap a person could be subjected to!

I will never feel guilty running Adblock!

Doug

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am also a member over at Goldwing Docs. They sent this in the newsletter yesterday. Yes, Hobby Talk is a VerticalScope site...

A Canadian company called VerticalScope has been buying up a large number (over 1,100 at last count) of enthusiast web forums just like GoldwingDocs over the past few years, with a particular concentration on powersport-related forums. They own and run motorcycle.com, atv.com, and others, including three popular Goldwing forums. I am not a fan of VerticalScope - they buy a forum, plaster it with advertisements, assign a "manager" to run it (they are usually in charge of several forums), and the forum then slowly dies.

Some members of some of these forums (myself included) recently received a cryptic "change your password" email from the forums, with no explanation as to why they were receiving the emails, or why they needed to change their passwords.

Early last week a news story on ZDNet reported that VerticalScope had suffered a major data breach, and that over 45 million user accounts on all 1,100+ forums had been hacked. A sample database obtained by ZDNet showed that VerticalScope had been using extremely weak and obsolete hashing and encryption to store passwords, and those passwords, along with all user information (email addresses, IP addresses, and any other personal information you shared with the forums) had been breached. In addition, many of the forums VerticalScope operates are running obsolete and insecure versions of forum software, no doubt a contributor to the breach.

Only after the news story broke did VerticalScope release a comment: "We are aware of the possible issue and our internal security team has been investigating and will be collecting information to provide to the appropriate law enforcement agencies."

This is unconscionable by VerticalScope - if this amount of data has been breached and is now in the hands of hackers, VerticalScope owes it to its millions of users to explain exactly what is going on, and what is being done about it. Instead, they sent an unexplained "reset password" email and made an extremely vague statement only after having been "outed" by the press.

If you are a member of a VerticalScope forum, and if you use the same password on more than one forum, you can expect that your password is now in the hands of hackers, and you should make a point of immediately changing your password everywhere that you have used it.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I wonder if those who did the 'hacking' are disgruntled exemployees or former user who got the boot for some reason.
Possible, but the more likely answer is Russian hackers, with China being a distant second. Folks aren't usually targeting things like BBS' for any specific reason, just that when they find a vulnerability they just go at it and see what they find. I guess you could use the 'panning the river for gold' analogy. Usually you're just moving dirt but once in a while you find a nugget.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Hackers search for flaws to get control of entire websites. Then blackmail the owners to get control back. Sometimes they fight, mostly they swallow their pride and pay.
They're only interested in private info to search it to find passwords etc. to bigger paydays.

If VerticalScope has over 1,100 forums, don't expect an answer anytime soon. Imagine how many emails they get. And remember, they're in it for the money as well.

·
Administrator
37,042 Posts
adblock is your friend - as has been explained above the "questions" cited by the op are not hobby talk issued, but set up by their paid advertisers - RIF!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have adblock. Doesn't stop the verify you are human advert. Having to use it for Quick Reply now too. Yes, it is somebody elses house. It used to be ours. Now they want $20/year subscription or $50 for 25 years. Does not say what the subscription does for us. I will stick with free. I hang around and respond as long as I can endure the advert verifier. Just so annoying. Glad to find out that HobbyTalk was bought out by people who can't figure their way around server security or let us know when we have been compromised. If I had the money to provide an alternate place for us, I would do it. Very sorry that I can't.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I don't recall any ad related security questions when I had to change my password, just that the password had additional requirementS.

Hobbytalk has really gone down hill over the last few years. The new owners leave it on autopilot, no moderators at all and many a good thread derailed by infantile bickering.

Hobbytalk is not the only forum out the- Starship Modeler for one is a great example on how a enthusiast site should be.

Don't expect any timely answers from HTs administrators - they rarely respond in any fashion.
If you chose to leave, I fully understand, just let us know where you might go so we can find you there...

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I have adblock. Doesn't stop the verify you are human advert. Having to use it for Quick Reply now too. Yes, it is somebody elses house. It used to be ours. Now they want $20/year subscription or $50 for 25 years. Does not say what the subscription does for us. I will stick with free. I hang around and respond as long as I can endure the advert verifier. Just so annoying. Glad to find out that HobbyTalk was bought out by people who can't figure their way around server security or let us know when we have been compromised. If I had the money to provide an alternate place for us, I would do it. Very sorry that I can't.
You're having to verify human for Quick Reply?! Hasn't happened to me (yet. knock on wood) so that confuses me.

And have you tried hitting the 'new question' button until the ad verify goes away and it becomes a straightforward 'type this' question? Sometimes it takes a LOT of cycles but eventually you do get clear. Which, I know and agree, is also annoying.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I didn't get the verification either, and I've used quick reply today and didn't see it. Why would it only show up for some and not all?

·
Administrator
37,042 Posts
If you are using an ad blocker program you will not see this situation. It appeared to me as well the day I signed back in with the new passward. My ad black was off until I was able to sign back in.

This is not really a HT issue - an advertiser took advantage of the situation to lure people into their web site - not cool, but they pay for the privaledge.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I didn't want to say anything because I don't want to assume, nor do I want to imply or infer any nefarious reason for what I am thinking. I'll try and put it this way:

Some people are very concerned about their privacy and security on the internet. Other people may have their own domain, their own server that buys their pipe from third party sources. Either way, they may be using an 'anonymization' router or service to re-route and mask their originating I.P address, a practice that is also used by spammers.

So, a person who just wants privacy would be flagged a potential spam bot.

This is my guess.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts