Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about some positive talk about QSAC and 1/4 scale racing. I hope this thread gets more posts than the others!

I will start...

Out here in Iowa we are working on some ideas to increase interest. One thing is the Late Model Class. What we we looking to do is run the dirt late model body from SRP. People here in the Midwest, and I am sure in most parts of the country, relate to this style of body. I already have several guys interested and one new one that loved the idea. He has been racing electric but never 1/4 scale. He is now hooked!

Also, we are going to do a parking lot race next year during our city celebration. Should have several hundred spectators! That should generate some interest.
We will have a car that they can take for a few laps. Then they will be hooked!

Who else has some ideas they are working on or would like to start working on?

Reno

·
Registered
261 Posts
On the parking lot idea. QSAC still has a portable track that includes fencing and driver's stand. It is available for anyone to use. You just need to pick it up from Pella, IA. It will require two pull vehicles and an additional trailer as the original trailer's axle isn't rated to carry the weight that is loaded on it. I'm pretty sure it includes a working PA system too. If you want to use it contact Jerry Verschuure. If someone wanted to take over storage and maintenance, I'm sure he would gladdly accept the offer. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I remember a parking lot show years ago in Fort Dodge that had people the whole way around the track 3 to 4 deep.. We had a table with a VCR and handouts with area drivers contact numbers. I've always said that something was lost when we went to the race built tracks. Down side of parking lot races, it takes EVERYONE to help put up and take down.
There are 3 prime market areas in North Iowa . If one show goes over I say next year do 3.The old outlaw raceway in Hudson had two old Raco cars and would let people that wanted to take laps between races, sonething to think about.
RK

·
Registered
325 Posts
Forgot We had a big parking lot show in Sioux Center as part of a celebration. Very good turnout. Also one a Algonas Kmart parking. These shows brought the cars and action to the public eye. Maybe we should talk about a show like the Royal Oak one used to be.Just some thoughts
RK

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
As a suggestion for growing QSAC or better yet the public involvement. I know QSAC ain't exactly rich, so it would take time and money to do.

In stead of 6 races at purpose built tracks as a test, schedule a parking lot race as one of the NCS races. No home field advantage and it puts us in the public eye.

Maybe the next thing is to have QSAC as a club purchase and maintain a trailer as a drivers stand and a way to house the mobile track as well as scoring system. Research needs to be done I'm sure...

Sponsorship and donations could help with the funding. Local tracks could could also gain from this as well by advertising at the event and being the host. Could be a different kind of biding for the event... Suggestions?

If all went well over a few years, maybe increase the number of parking lot races where you have 3 and 3. Rules could be instituted that you have to partisipate in at least one of each to be eligable for National points or something like that... Maybe one champion of parking lot and one of purpose built tracks at the same time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The portable track housed in Iowa may be the old QSAC portable track. I know it was at MPR and was sold or given to someone or a club that came and took it away many years ago. Yes it was heavy and hard to move.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are kicking around the idea of having the parking lot race be an NCS race.
We are going to do it anyway but thought it would be awesome to have it as an NCS. We will see how it plays out.

Keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
754 Posts
As a suggestion for growing QSAC or better yet the public involvement. I know QSAC ain't exactly rich, so it would take time and money to do.

In stead of 6 races at purpose built tracks as a test, schedule a parking lot race as one of the NCS races. No home field advantage and it puts us in the public eye.

Maybe the next thing is to have QSAC as a club purchase and maintain a trailer as a drivers stand and a way to house the mobile track as well as scoring system. Research needs to be done I'm sure...

Sponsorship and donations could help with the funding. Local tracks could could also gain from this as well by advertising at the event and being the host. Could be a different kind of biding for the event... Suggestions?

If all went well over a few years, maybe increase the number of parking lot races where you have 3 and 3. Rules could be instituted that you have to partisipate in at least one of each to be eligable for National points or something like that... Maybe one champion of parking lot and one of purpose built tracks at the same time.
Jim, this is the works, I have always said this is where the people are. Most of our tracks are hard to see for the masses. Hoosier Tire is dieing for us to do a parking lot race there as an NCS. Bob Louk and Hoosier tire have been talking about this for the last several months. Bob has talked to me and Fred Murry a couple different times. The only thing is we need to be able to donate most if not all to there park or a charity involving kids. This is where there heart is. As you know this park is beautiful and they want kids of all ages using it. I would love to see either IQSR or GLQSR put this race on for them. Either club would do a great job and would promote the heck out of 1/4 scale. Something for us to think about. Todd

·
Registered
146 Posts
I believe it was 2010 I had a race all set up at the Knoxville Iowa middle school using this very same portable track. I just couldn't come up with a scoring system. When I talked to the prinipal he was excited to have us back in there lot. I thinking a parking lot race is a great idea.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Knoxville would be great too. We have the scoring system. Jim P. told me they were a real hit there in the past.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Over the years dates have been left open by the Iowa clubs with the hope that the Knoxville show would come back. Perhaps getting local sponsership is not the way to go. Maybe some of the companys like STP Goodyear would give a hundred or so for entertainment for the race fans.
RK

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Rick: You forgot about Hadwarned (don't think i spelled that right) and a race up in souix falls, sd.

Wally put on a hell of show for a couple of years. We had people sitting on roofs, standing and on bleachers. I had to quit racing just to help announced and help wally. We had a lot of cars show up.

Fort Dodge also had a ton of people standing around even though i don't remember much. Me and Kim ended up at a Harley bar somewhere down town and forgot to race.

Knoxville was fun, alot of people. After QSAC left, verschuures took over and did a find job running it.

One thing about you Iowan guys, you like your racing:thumbsup: Hell we even had a few 1/4 scale guys showed up at the dirt track at Deadend Raceway showing support.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Terry and me talked about having parking lot races during the fair one time, heck there are always tons off race fans then, but we know we could not pull it off our selves and we were worried about car counts, its a lot of work and then nobody shows up to race.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think a Peking lot race would b awsome especially if it is Ncs race I am trying to get my local club to start doing them we r small and need more racers

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Algona club gave money towards the purchase of the track to keep it in Iowa, not sure but I think Fort Dodge did like wise. As long as Jerry has stored it the track should belong to him! Yes I did forget about the Sioux Falls Race.
RK

·
Registered
749 Posts
Exposure

I agree with what everyone is saying, it's nice to see a positive thread promoting the hobby!

For us we have a great oppurtunity racing on the grounds of a local short track, Wall Stadium http://www.wallspeedwayracing.com
They give us the oppurtunity to setup a table in the grandstand area to show our cars and hand out fliers. Race fans are gear heads, to get new blood into the hobby we need to expose to new people. We also get interest from crew members, drivers etc.

I suggest to get hooked up with a local short track. worst case they make you pay for a ticket.
For the local track they will get some cross promotion, you post you are going to be at the track on a facebook page for your club, and tell your friends and racers that you are going to be there and maybe some will come out since they know people that are going to be there, buy a ticket, hot dog etc... it can't hurt to try.

this can be expanded by showing videos etc...

Dave Carpenter

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I think parking lot races are one of the best ideas I've heard yet, especially on the national level. Its hard to get new people to come out to a purpose built track way out in the sticks, so why not take the track to them, the ultimate exposure!
Are there any pictures of this existing portable track? I'm curious to see how it's built, runline, ect.
Thanks
Chris

1 - 20 of 31 Posts