Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ugh, why must minty vintage things be destroyed because people can't pack them properly. :mad: :mad: :cry:

So I bought this, which made it from France and lived happily for a number of years in Canada.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360460176816?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Now I make my own resized boxes too, but I make sure they're sturdy and use more than 2 strips of newspaper and 1 layer of thin bubble wrap as packing material. There was that one crack on the bottom corner, but the package was good otherwise and the vehicles were mint. Now I've got one package end busted, the trailer punched through the bottom, and pieces of buggy roll cage rattling around in the package.

http://hobie-wan.nfshost.com/maj2.jpg
http://hobie-wan.nfshost.com/maj3.jpg
http://hobie-wan.nfshost.com/maj5.jpg

I could fix the roll cage, but it will never be the same. The seller accepts returns but why should I pay to send this back to Canada because someone's packing job was crap. Also I've never even seen this set before, much less mint. But of course it isn't any more. :drunk:

Waiting to see what I hear back from the seller.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
You can still dispute it through PayPal and if they want the product tell them you aren't paying to ship. Just because they say they won't take returns it ain't always so.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news :( ..... Buying items off of eBay is a risk as we all should know. If you get a item that is damaged the seller is responsible to make sure the item he/she is sending out has insurance. Nothing says the seller has to be smart in learning how to pack a item safely. For you to get back your full amount you paid from the seller you will have to return the item back to the seller at your cost ( per PayPal policies w/ DC# ) to get back your funds. Once the item shows it has been mailed and delivered back to the seller then PayPal will refund your funds back to your account. You will lose out on the return shipping cost, nothing you can do about that as PayPal will not care about your loss in a product for it being returned back to the sender. PayPal is only there to make sure both parties are doing there part in a transaction - not make things equal or fair in a money situation.

Is it a pain and frustrating at times yes, but 2/3 of the time buying items off of eBay make it to the buyer without any problems or damages.

When I buy off of eBay, I always make it a rule to send a email before I pay stating that I like my item(s) packed with bubble wrap and peanuts for a secure safe shipping. If the seller refuses to pack safely then I refuse to pay.

You may be stuck with the product when you figure out the total cost of the shipping before sending it back w/ a DC# if its worth it or not to send back.

Wish ya the best and Sorry to hear the news :(

·
Registered
476 Posts
I used to have a similar experience with buying brand new 1/32 slot cars in plastic cases from online retailers ages back. The cars would get loose from their mounts due to poor attachment methods before the companies got wise to it or just being bounced around by shipping. One or two places then took the time to pack shipping peanuts inside the case after replacing one or two cars. I told them it was ok to open the sealed case to secure the car since I would rather crash it myself than having the shipper do it for me.

Many do not realize shipping a mint, sealed item especially a diecast might move around. A suggestion would be if you don't mind if they open up the item's box to remind them to pack the diecast items securely inside that package to avoid movement and damage while shipping. I understand the need to have the items sealed but sometimes if you think they will move around then request the package opened and items secured to avoid hassles for them and you.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
There was a post on jltalk once, someone had paid quite a bit for a very nicely carded original topper jl, and a quite rare one, and it got stuffed in a box basically the size of a standard envelope.lasted from 1970 ,43 years, only to have an idiot destroy it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.