Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys.

I'm thinking and researching the new upcoming release of the 1/350 scale original ship. I haven't done an Enterprise since my youth. (1970's)

I have to admit, I'm intimidated by all the awesome work I see here. But I figure with no "azteking", could a guy rattle-can one out, if I buy some of the bells and whistles? I like the lights, of course. But I also saw the weathered decals. I wonder if you can make them look good? The photos look great. But a shiny decal? Sounds weird.

I'd LOVE to hear some opinions on the "build-ability" of this kit. I'm not interested in starting any arguments about accuracy.

I'd build it in regular version with spray cans. I'd probably buy the lights and weathered decals only.

Opinions? Waste of money for such an expensive kit with my skill level?
Honesty appreciated.

:wave:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Not a waste of time at all! Not everyone has the skill, equipment, or desire to use an airbrush and you can get quite a good finish with rattle cans with just a little care.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I'm guessing that the kit will be well engineered and will go together well.

I would expect some putty will be needed here and there, but I would guess no super human modeling skills will be needed to get a great looking Enterprise. At least I hope not.

For me, I think the lighting kit will be a good idea. Other than simple lighting I need a plug and play lighting kit. If I'm blowing $150 on the kit, Blowing another $100 or so on a lighting set designed for her might not be a bad Idea. I could probably come up with a home grown light set up but The spinning nacelle caps scare me.

I don't see the need for the weathering decals, I think the paint on the Smithsonian filming model looks horrible, but thats just me.

At this point I can't really see a need for the photo etch kit but that could change when I see whats in it.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Thats a good point, at $6-10 for each Tamiya can that will add up fast!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Here are the plug and play lighting kits:

I'd use big cans of white then use the expensive lacquers for the finish coat.

Steve

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I have to admit, I'm intimidated by all the awesome work I see here.
YOU? I detect an overabundance of humility...:thumbsup: if you want it, go for it, you're MORE than capable of turning out a great Enterprise. Every artist will put his or her unique stamp on this model. Don't rush, experiment along the way, trust your inner Scotty, and you'll surprise yourself, and us too!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the plug and play lighting kits:

I'd use big cans of white then use the expensive lacquers for the finish coat.

Steve
Hey, will those be needed? Are the lights provided not controlled?

Just asking..........

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input, gentlemen! I really need to put my mind on this one some more............

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Just a small thing here, I use rattle cans exclusively, and it just tales some creative masking, spraying legerdemain, and a degree of intrepidity.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I use both an airbrush and rattle cans, but with the quality of the Tamiya spray paint it makes it harder and harder to break out the old Paasche.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Thank you, Mr. Spock.

Seriously, there are a number of big cans available in the average hardware department that should do just dandy for the overall color, and for a helluva lot less than a rattle can from Ye Olde Local Hobby Shoppe (I think I might use that if I ever open up my own store...). My personal preference is regular old gray primer, although considering the past issues with PL decals, something in a gloss might be preferable.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Spock?
Thanks I guess. :)

I use the hardware shop cans for my model rockets, after all a tree will eat them sooner or later. But for a high quality model or my prop replicas I spring
for quality paints. If I'm going to spend $150 on the kit plus another $100+ on aftermarkets I'm not going to skimp on the paint.

I'll probably Prime with Mr. Surfacer and finish with Tamiya, rattle can or airbrush. Gloss, decal, then hit her with a matt coat.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
I'm still undecided which version I want build: series production or enhanced Pike era. By "enhanced" I mean making a Cage version but with some added detail and lighting as if it were for series production.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I'll build the production version.

One thing I am rethinking. I painted my small PL E in the light grey of the filming model. For this one I might go with a more whiter color. More what I saw on screen.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts