Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this posted in a thread in "Vintage Diecast" before there was a 1/43 scale forum.

As stated, the car is a 1/43 scale POLITOYS - M DINO Pininfarina from the late '60's. (opening doors and engine compartment with working suspension)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I wonder if there is any connection with Politoys and Polistil, which is I think an italian die-cast company. Since this is an italian car...maybe...

Wonderful model! :)

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Superbird77 said:
I wonder if there is any connection with Politoys and Polistil, which is I think an italian die-cast company. Since this is an italian car...maybe...

Wonderful model! :)
I was wondering the same thing.

Can anyone answer this?

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zeb41 said:
Another fine piece from your collection Stutz. That's in great shape too.
Thanks ZEB, and everyone else for looking and replying.

Please post any 1/43 scale diecast cars that you may have. It doesn't matter what brand they are. I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Everybody. Politoys and Polistil are linked. The company was originally called Politoys, but when they started exporting toys to England in the 1960s, the British company Palitoys objected to the name, so they changed it to Polistil.

This very nice model is part of the Politoys-M series, where "M" stands for "Metal." The company originally made models in fibreglass in 1/41 scale, then switched to metal and 1/43. The metal series is also referred to as the 500 series. This example looks to be in really good condition - the model is particlarly prone to losing its two rear lights, and to the clear plastic cover over the front lights either breaking or getting lost. Also, when you open the rear engine cover, there should be three little plastic straps over the spare wheel; these often break off too.

There are three different versions of this model; the first one has jewelled headlights under the clear cover at the front, and the front wheels are steerable. The second version has jewelled headlights and non-steerable wheels, and the third has cast-in headlights and non-steerable wheels. (Politoys tended to make their models TOO detailed and very expensive to produce, then have to make them progressively cheaper by modifying them).

Hope this is all of interest! I have lots of Politoys cars and I'd like more, although they tend to be very expen$ive, and the ones I'm now missing are the rarer ones, which are even more expensive! The good thing is that they are put together with screws, so you can build one good one out of several junk ones pretty easily. I have several of this Ferrari, and the example you have should be worth about $80 or more, depending on which version it is; the earlier versions are generally worth more.

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Baskingshark said:
Hi Everybody. Politoys and Polistil are linked. The company was originally called Politoys, but when they started exporting toys to England in the 1960s, the British company Palitoys objected to the name, so they changed it to Polistil.

This very nice model is part of the Politoys-M series, where "M" stands for "Metal." The company originally made models in fibreglass in 1/41 scale, then switched to metal and 1/43. The metal series is also referred to as the 500 series. This example looks to be in really good condition - the model is particlarly prone to losing its two rear lights, and to the clear plastic cover over the front lights either breaking or getting lost. Also, when you open the rear engine cover, there should be three little plastic straps over the spare wheel; these often break off too.

There are three different versions of this model; the first one has jewelled headlights under the clear cover at the front, and the front wheels are steerable. The second version has jewelled headlights and non-steerable wheels, and the third has cast-in headlights and non-steerable wheels. (Politoys tended to make their models TOO detailed and very expensive to produce, then have to make them progressively cheaper by modifying them).

Hope this is all of interest! I have lots of Politoys cars and I'd like more, although they tend to be very expen$ive, and the ones I'm now missing are the rarer ones, which are even more expensive! The good thing is that they are put together with screws, so you can build one good one out of several junk ones pretty easily. I have several of this Ferrari, and the example you have should be worth about $80 or more, depending on which version it is; the earlier versions are generally worth more.
Thanks for the information about this model Baskingshark. This car does not have steerable front wheels. I also have the same car in blue. Is there a color that is rarer in this car? I remember buying these and several other Politoys 1/43 scale cars in 1969. My favorite is a Ferrari greenish coupe. I recall having a white Alfa (it had a sticker racing stripe) and a 2 door hardtop Mercedes that is charcol. I hope I can find these cars over the winter months.

Welcome to the 1/43 scale forum Baskingshark! :wave:

Please post pics of some of your Politoys 1/43 scale cars. Your knowledge about these cars will be welcomed.

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Baskingshark said:

I was hoping you would post some pics of your 1/43 scale diecast cars Baskingshark. You sound very knowledgeable on the older 1/43 scale diecast cars and I would love to see pics of your cars. I'm sure others would like to see pics of your cars too.

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Baskingshark said:

I was hoping that Baskingshark would post some pics of his cars. His knowledge of these Politoys cars is impressive!

He hasn't been online since this post 11-11-06 at 8:35 P.M.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Hey baskingshark,
If you're out there, I just wanted to thank you for your comments on this model. I found them to be very interesting. As Stitz mentioned, it would be great if you could post some pictures of your 1:43 collection.

·
Registered
343 Posts

This one is my favorite Politoys M model. It is # 552 - the Lamborghini Miura P400. It has six operating parts - the front body work tilts down; the rear body work also tilts down; a small trunk in the rear tilts ahead, the chrome flap on the right side of the front tilts ahead and each of the two passenger doors open. Pretty good model for 1968. - ranchero -

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ranchero said:

Here's the Dino in blue - Politoys # 536 from about 1968. - ranchero -
Welcome back ranchero! :wave:

I have the same Dino in blue somewhere.

Thanks for posting the pic.

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ranchero said:

and Stutz, here is the Mercedes coupe (a 230SL) - Politoys # 503. - ranchero -
Yep, that the same car that I have in a box somewhere. I remember buying it in 1969. For some reason that I can't remember, I took it apart. I probably lost some of the parts. I remember that the seats tilted forward in this car.

Thanks for posting the pic.

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ranchero said:

This one is my favorite Politoys M model. It is # 552 - the Lamborghini Miura P400. It has six operating parts - the front body work tilts down; the rear body work also tilts down; a small trunk in the rear tilts ahead, the chrome flap on the right side of the front tilts ahead and each of the two passenger doors open. Pretty good model for 1968. - ranchero -
Nice car ranchero! :thumbsup: I've never seen that one.

Thanks for sharing!

Do you have the Ferrari coupe that I mentioned in this thread? It's sort of greenish-gray in color. I still have it, but have no idea where it is. It's my favorite.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Stutz - Yes; I have the Ferrari coupe. It is a 250GT Berninetta and is Politoys # 504 - one of the early ones. I have the car in an aqua blue/green and also finished in the same silver as your Dino. Mine is stored too; I can't easily get it out to photograph. As a substitute, take a look at Politoys # 567. It is a 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado. I think there may be an Oldsmobile nut on this forum who would be entertained by this toy. This Politoys is very similar to the Tekno model of the same car; it may be a copy or maybe even licensed. It is quite out of character for Politoys; the toy is huge and American.

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ranchero said:
Stutz - Yes; I have the Ferrari coupe. It is a 250GT Berninetta and is Politoys # 504 - one of the early ones. I have the car in an aqua blue/green and also finished in the same silver as your Dino. Mine is stored too; I can't easily get it out to photograph. As a substitute, take a look at Politoys # 567. It is a 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado. I think there may be an Oldsmobile nut on this forum who would be entertained by this toy. This Politoys is very similar to the Tekno model of the same car; it may be a copy or maybe even licensed. It is quite out of character for Politoys; the toy is huge and American.
I've never seen this 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado made by Politoys. Thanks for posting a pic of it ranchero. :thumbsup: If possible please post your pic of this car in the thread that I started for TheDarkCutlass (Oldmobiles for this HT member). It's in this 1/43 scale forum.

Your description of the Ferrari 250GT Berninetta in blue/green is the car that I have. I wish I could find it. The seats fold forward in this car too.

I bought about a dozen of 1/43 scale Politoys diecast cars in the summer of 1969 for $0.79 each at a Card Shop that sold diecast toys. The Politoys were closeouts for $0.79 each, and Matchbox Yesteryears were closeouts for $0.75 each. I wish that I would have bought all of them, including the CORGI closeouts. I remember a Lola made by Politoys that was white with stickers on it for racing stripes. I remember selling this car at a Toy Show to a collector who really wanted it for his collection.

Thanks for posting the pics!......STUTZ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts