Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being now that Racing Champions owns Polar Lights,why doesn't Polar Lights take the Ertl and AMT Old molds and reissue them,it would make perfect sense to do so,I wouldn't mine having some of them again,Guy Schlicter.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I don't mean to be negative but...
The rise of eBay might mean that they wouldn't sell too many of the old mold kits.
Do you folks agree?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
My guess is that you will see some reissued kits from RC. When they bought Ertl all those years ago, I predicted that someday, someone would look around and say "we got these molds, lets sell some models." But if that happens, lets hope they continue to produce some new, quality kits and only reissue those kits worthwhile.

Frankly, given the silence from RC so far, I am not optomisitc about the future of the Trek license beyond the refit E this fall.

Steve

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Rc???

Well, I certainly hope the refit E is too far into the production pipeline for them to cancel it. I'd shed a tear.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,357 Posts
I'd much rather PL create new, actually accurate Trek models than reissue tired old trek kits that I already have.

But yeah, I'm hoping there'll be any model kits at all after the RC2 takeover.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
What Steve said. No news, in this case, is not good news. But I sure hope we're wrong on this one. I had really been hoping for a few more ships in the 1/1000 scale.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
As steve said, their silence I think is saying everything, even no one on the PL board is speaking so to speak (type).
IMO I think the refit is the last one. We'll find out though at the October announcements i think it is. Maybe they are just gonna surprise us and thats why no one is talking.
As far as re-releasing the old amt stuff, I could for the Enterprise E's at the very least mainly because of the cost of them damn things on the Ebay. IF RC2 were smart they would take a gander over there at ebay and just see how many and at what outrageous costs the old ertl stuff is selling for on Ebay. I mean at no particular given time over there is there less than 100 trek kits being sold. I still have yet to own an Enterprise E, I was stationed in Germany at the time of the release for that kit and the BX where I was never go them in, Plenty of the TOS E, and TNG E-d's though.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I wouldn't also mind seeing the 3-piece set Enterprise's again in good quality detail the 1701, 1701-A and 1701-D like they did with the 1701-B,C, and E. I never knew the 1701-B,C, and E sets came out until I saw them on ebay. And those too are going for a ridiculous price....that's one of the main reasons why I haven't built to many models was the price that people are jacking them up for...and that's why not to many are selling.

Trent

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm

:) I would like to see them produce ent E at an affordable price.$$100+ ,too rich for my blood.sheesh.I would also like to see Voyager reissued.How about the classic Galileo?

improvise,adapt and overcome.We are the fellowship of modelers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re issue idea

Apart from time and cost (Ha Ha) is there any reason why they (PL /RC) couldnt improve the existing moulds before a reissue?

Since PL reverse engineered Aurora, couldn't PL get corrected / fixed version of any kit and reverse engineer from that?

Then they'd have accurate kits to sell (from new moulds) with less work than creating an all new kit, less griping about the accuracy (from the customers), and increased sales of kits.

As a plus no one will want the old innaccurate versions lurking on Ebay...

Just a thought.

Jim

·
Registered
352 Posts
If RC drops th ball on the Trek kits (and License) maybe a wealthy invester, or investors, (And the old PL crew) could re-form under another name and pick the ball up where RC dropped it. It figures that as soon as somebody does the job right, somebody else wants to eliminate them because it costs money to be keep up to par. Sounds like the "Walmartization of America" mentality.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Nothing detrimental has happened, so far. So, let's not put the vibe out there to make it so.

Obviously, there are other Trek kits currently in the works at PL. These were in development long before the buyout by RC2. Let's just wait and see what is announced a month or so from now about next year's releases. We may be pleasantly surprised. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts