Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to share my latest build, (first in a long time). One of my all time favorites. I remember building this kit when I was a young boy. I also remember all of the fit issues with this kit. But then again, I probably built it on a Saturday so I could go out and destroy it on Sunday... LOL! Those were the days when these kits were cheap!

This time around I spent more time and money. A nice set of decals from TSDS. Two 1/72 scale ejection seats from Squadron models for the pilots which I had to modify a bit. I also ordered the oval shaped dome from Gil over at JAI, but am still waiting to receive it. For now I will finish the assembly with the round dome supplied.

I scratch built the control yokes using sprue and thin soldering wire for the handles. The passenger compartment now has six seats per the studio set. I added some other parts left over from a tank model I had lying around, (center console screen and some electrical boxes near the side hatch. Lastly, I puttied the aft fuselage to erase the molded-in stripes.

Sadly I didn't take the time to photograph the interior, (I will do my best to get some photos from outside the vehicle through the windows).

To my amazement the kit was actually a lot of fun to build. I had very few issues with the fit. Although I did make some minor mods, and did a lot of dry fitting.

I am in the process of applying the exterior decals. I will post more pictures tonight after giving it a final coat of clear flat.

Here is a shot of the exterior of the ship just dry fitted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Trekriffic and Aussiemuscle308.

I'm going to rig up a single LED on a bendable arm that will allow me to light the interior compartments for photos.

I will post pics ASAP.

·
Administrator
25,925 Posts

I'm going to rig up a single LED on a bendable arm that will allow me to light the interior compartments for photos.

I will post pics ASAP.

I will post pics ASAP.
That will be cool to see. Another technique you can try is to use a flashlight as a focus light through the dome (if opaque or side windows. You wiil probably need a tripod for the exposure time though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Milton, I did the flashlight technique last night... LOL!

I debated over whether or not to "seal" the top half of the fuselage, but it's really the only way to get a perfect fit. Lighting the model is an option, but not one I have much experience with.

I had just settled in for night when I realized I had forgot something... two things actually...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Aftermarket dome just arrived from Gil over at JAL.

Thanks to all who have commented, and a big shout out to Gil.
Hope everyone is staying healthy.

Almost forgot... here are a couple of interior shots of added detail...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Does anyone know what the "C" in the insignia stands for?
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I remember reading somewhere it doesn't mean anything. It was a patch used on some costumes for the movie "Our Man Flint," or its sequel, "In Like Flint." It was turned 90 degrees for LOTG. Unfortunately, I can't find any good photos to back up my recollections.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I remember reading somewhere it doesn't mean anything. It was a patch used on some costumes for the movie "Our Man Flint," or its sequel, "In Like Flint." It was turned 90 degrees for LOTG. Unfortunately, I can't find any good photos to back up my recollections.
Interesting stuff. While watching a LOTG episode on YouTube, (co-starring Bruce Dern), they referred to "Continental" as being part of the airline's name. So I'm guessing that is what the "C" stands for. BTW, I remember watching "Our Man Flint" and it's sequel on T.V.. James Coburn was a great actor!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts