1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

it has been while since I last visited, but my love for Polar Lights models
has not diminished. I am dissapointed to see that PL forum has been
"absorbed" into the general modeling forum :( ,no longer enjoying its unique status here. Oh well, sign of the times.

Last time I visited I posed the question regarding how models are made.
This time, another question. Does anyone have production history and general history on the specific polar lights models? Here is what I am interested in.

The Go Cart - how many where made and I think this has an interesting history (can't remember specifics) - one just sold on ebay for $70

C-57D Forbidden Planet Space Ship - BIG model!!! This could not have been cheap to produce - how many where made, what was the original selling price?

The Mummy (classic not new movie version)- seems to command high price on ebay - not sure why? Not many made?

The Forgotten Prisoner (my favorite PL model) - one just sold on ebay fo $71.

Adams Family House (FAO Schwartz, other versions)

Others??? Please add your interests.

So.....why do I ask??? I am trying to establish the rarity of some of the models. I have been collecting PL for a couple of years now and I have noticed something. There used to 10-15 pages of PL models listed on ebay. Lately however you see about half, but a lot of the models are the same "old stuff" - mummy's chariot, old godzilla, etc..... Once in a while you see a Forgotten Prisoner etc. So this lead me to believe they are either rare or people just don't want to part with them. What do ya-all think?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hey Karl ,
on a couple of your questions , i remember buying the C57D when it came out . it was around 65 $ at Hobby Lobby .
as to the Forgotten Prisoner you saw , are you sure it was the PL version and not the Cinemodels release ?
the Go Cart for sure had a limited release due to issues with Toho and PL wanted to be on thier good side so they could release the Big G etc further down the road .
production #s would sure be interesting to know as you say to gage if some kits are rarer than others .
hb

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I DID see a "Prisoner" on eBait lately that was NOT a PL or Aurora. I don't recall the name ( not sure if I recognized it ) as I'm not up on "old" stuff, but I think it was a larger scale ??

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
i'm pretty sure that PL first did the Godzilla's Go Cart just as the Go Cart and did a slight modification to the box art ( airbrushing out the spines on his back ) to get around liscensing issues . later though when they planned to do the Big G and worked with Monogram /Revell to re-issue the Aurora version PL volutarily stopped production of the Go Cart .
rumor has it that Toho , even as far back as when the kit was first released by Aurora , didn't like the way the model portrayed Godzilla .
so they didn't get C&D'd by Toho or anything like that but it does make The Go Cart one of the rarer PL kits .

maybe Dave can give some ballpark figs on the the production #'s .
hb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts