Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

My Wife gave me the Polar Lights Original Enterprise snap kit for Christmas last year. I still have it, unassembled.

Over the past week we were on vacation in Simi Valley, California to visit the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library (what a BEAUTIFUL place. It was a very moving experience.).

We had gone shopping the day before and I picked up another of the PL Original Enterprise kits to slap together in the Hotel during the evening, just to see how it all fit together, before I build the one my Wife gave me.

I spent about an hour and a half assembling the kit, and everything seems to go together pretty well EXCEPT for the NACELLE attachment! The Nacelles dont 'snap' onto the pylon supports at all. I tried and tried to get them to stay in postion, and I FINALLY got ONE to stay put, but the other one just would not go. All it would do is fall off. I almost broke the plastic trying to get the thing to stay put.
Now I know that this kit is best assembled with glue and finished properly, but I did not have any of the supplies in the room. All I had was the 'snap' kit, and it seems to me that all the parts should go together!
Anyway, has had anyone else had this problem with the nacelle fitting?

Thanks all!

S.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I only briefly left one as a snap kit before gluing. The tab that inserts into the small slot cannot be trimmed or sanded or it will probably fall off. If you neither trimmed nor sanded the slim piece that slides into the holding slot I don't know what to tell you other then just wait until you can get hold of some glue.

Good luck!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,226 Posts
Why isn't this posted on the PL bboard, where there are lots of people who built the kit? What's computer-assisted about this question?

The nacelles do snap on, but there's a trick to it. You have to stick the tab in the slot as close to its proper angle as humanly possible. The tab has GOT to go under the pin inside the nacelle. It can be done, but it's tricky. I've gotten the hang of it, and have managed to do it with no problem on a half-dozen builds.

The other way to do it is to put the inner half of the nacelles on the pylon first, then snap the outer half on while making sure the nacelle pin goes over the pylon tab.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Well, the sign on the door says....

John P said:
Why isn't this posted on the PL bboard, where there are lots of people who built the kit? What's computer-assisted about this question?
Uhm... The title of the forum is Computer Assisted Sci-Fi & Gen. Modeling. ;)
The nacelles do snap on, but there's a trick to it. You have to stick the tab in the slot as close to its proper angle as humanly possible. The tab has GOT to go under the pin inside the nacelle. It can be done, but it's tricky. I've gotten the hang of it, and have managed to do it with no problem on a half-dozen builds.

The other way to do it is to put the inner half of the nacelles on the pylon first, then snap the outer half on while making sure the nacelle pin goes over the pylon tab.
Yeah, that second way is what I've done with one after reading the hints here, the PL forums and Starship Modeler. I can't get the hang of the first way you describe.... :(

- - - - - -

Jeffrey Griffin
Griffworks Shipyards

Star Trek Scale Modeling WebRing

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Qua'Pla! I have done it! I finally got that silly Nacelle on. It is kind of loose, but it is in the proper position.
Thanks JOHN P, and GRIFF for the suggestions!
I figured that this IS the place to post this kind of thread since, as GRIFF stated, this IS the 'computer assisted sci-fi AND GEN MODELING' forum.
By the way, on our vacation, I also picked up the POLAR LIGHTS Ghostbusters "Ecto 1" kit. I have been looking for one for a long time. Hooray!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Griffworks said:
Uhm... The title of the forum is Computer Assisted Sci-Fi & Gen. Modeling. ;)
I was wondering . . .

Does the adjective "Computer Assisted" refer simply to "Sci-Fi" ?, or does it also apply to "Gen." - as in "Computer Assisted Sci-Fi Modeling" and "Computer Assisted Gen. Modeling" ?

As Hoden and Spock agreed in "The Mark of Gideon" - clarity of formulation is important in both diplomatic and scientific endeavors. ;)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm pretty sure "Computer Assisted" is meant to modify all that comes after it. But it's not so stuffy here that you can't post off topic on ocassion (within reason of course). At least that's the way it seems to me, but I've been know to be wrong once or twice.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
To clarify things here.

The main topic is computer assisted modeling which are basically subjects that other boards don't mess with or like to even here about. This board deals mainly with that on the sci fi as well as the general modeling side also.
Plus the added benefit of me being the moderator and sponsor of this forum, POST WHAT EVER YA LIKE JUST BE NICE ABOUT IT

·
Registered
775 Posts
Now I see where I have been going wrong!!!! I've been trying to get my damn computer to assist in building my models and it just doesn't want to co-operate!!
Oh well, back to square 1!

·
Registered
126 Posts
capt Locknar said:
To clarify things here.

The main topic is computer assisted modeling which are basically subjects that other boards don't mess with or like to even here about. This board deals mainly with that on the sci fi as well as the general modeling side also.
Plus the added benefit of me being the moderator and sponsor of this forum, POST WHAT EVER YA LIKE JUST BE NICE ABOUT IT

And have fun while we're doing it -- no "Herberts" to mess with our Eden here!! :p

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
ken072359 said:
And have fun while we're doing it -- no "Herberts" to mess with our Eden here!! :p
Herberts have their place and are even welcome here. They just don't run our little relaxed Eden here.

Yeah Brother!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys,
We have gotten a bit off topic on my thread.
I originally asked about the fitment of the NACELLES on the Polar Lights Enterprise.
:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
NWO said:
Ok guys,
We have gotten a bit off topic on my thread.
I originally asked about the fitment of the NACELLES on the Polar Lights Enterprise.

Yes that's true, but many threads seem to go off on tangents not directly related to the original post. :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok guys, does anyone have any more ideas on the FITMENT OF THE NACELLES?

And, no, my computer does NOT assist me in generating MODELS!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Don't look at me, I've been busy adding a staircase to the house so I can use the attic instead of crawling through a small square in the ceiling. Got the support wall done today and will be doing the Wiring and Stair Stringers tomorrow.

But seriously, its just a feel to put them engines on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts