Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm coming along quite well in building my NX-01 and was needing some input from fellow Sci-fi builders. I'm currently pondering on whether the clear parts for the Warp and impulse engines needs to be colored to enhance the lighting I'm putting behind it.

Here is the methods I have thought about. I've thought of painting the parts with clear blue and red from the inside and seeing how that turns out. I've also thought of using transparent colored film on the back of the clear parts as well. Does anyone have any input on how coloring effects the lighting inside?

Also, I know there are red bussard collectors for the 18" Ertl TOS Enterprise out there. Would these fit the nacelles of the PL NX-01?

I would appreciate any insight you could give me. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I take it you're talking about the 350 NX-01?
As for the bussard collectors it depends on the diameter of the pieces. Of course you could always test fit them to find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a little update. I did some searching and found some bussard collectors that are made specifically to replace the PL 1/350 NX-01 clear parts. The replacements are tinted red.

I would still like to hear if anyone has any input on the color added to the lighting. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
When I built that kit, I airbrushed Tamiya clear red on the domes and clear blue on the warp coils. it worked great for me that way.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I will look around and see if I can find the web site of someone who built this model and lit it up. His web site goes through step by step everything he did. He lays out all of the LEDs and circuit boards. Fully explaining what he did and then shows the results.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I also painted the insides of the clear pieces with the Tamiya clear blue and clear red, although I tried for a "swirley" pattern inside the domes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts