Hobbyist Forums banner
81 - 100 of 273 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
J-2 Lower Level Flight Deck

I've started the construction of the lower level flight deck, the two side bulkheads are marked for control consol locations. I've also cut out the U shaped side control and forward counter top panels out, this piece I decided to cut as one solid section from .030 styrene, also because I cut out the view port and added a casement around it I extended the counter top out so it meets, and joins flush to the lower casement ledge covering up the void between the model counter and the view port. Two small side panels will go between the view port and the side bulkhead to cover that gap also. I'm not going to post any photos of this portion of the project until I have the flight deck almost ready to be inserted in place, I'm going to go for the surprise factor on this one, in all the J-2 kits I have seen built with interiors I have not seen anyone use this feature, I think it will make a very large difference in the look of the finished kit. Guess I and all who are watching this project will know for sure in a week or two...

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I'm A Big Fat Liar...

After working on the flight deck a good protion of the weekend and it turning out better than I could hope for I have changed my mind and have added 2 new pics of the work in progress. Nothing is glued in place there are mounting blocks of styrene on the bulkheads, on the underside of the counter and the window casement for cementing all the pieces together later. Now on to building the control panels to go on top of the counters and side walls, and the base units to go below the counter and last but not least paint the unit and get it installed. Lots of small details yet to be added...

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Think of it as therapy and this forum as a support group.

Or maybe it's more like a bar full of alcoholics.

(keep it up, I like where you're taking us)

Don't miss Jim James' (arronax's) decals for the PLJ2. Cult has'em.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
After working on the flight deck a good protion of the weekend and it turning out better than I could hope for I have changed my mind and have added 2 new pics of the work in progress. Nothing is glued in place there are mounting blocks of styrene on the bulkheads, on the underside of the counter and the window casement for cementing all the pieces together later. Now on to building the control panels to go on top of the counters and side walls, and the base units to go below the counter and last but not least paint the unit and get it installed. Lots of small details yet to be added...
Robert,
The model looks great. This level of detail is stunning. The only suggestion I can make (and do not claim to be a model expert) is to consider taking the time to fashion new all new viewports out of clear, higher quality plastic than the plastic in the kit. The dome is OK, but the viewport plastic is too thick or inconsistently formed. The wavy view of the interior details through the stock viewport detracts from the model in my opinion. I used the clear plastic provided with the kit for the very first Jupiter 2 I built up, and I was so disappointed that I replaced the viewport on other buildups. I would say that the plastic in the stock kit "might" be OK if you were going to discard the interior details and, instead, add the scrim line and scrim line lighting close to the viewport opening like is seen on the actual replica. Otherwise, you work looks so great you have inspired me to build another Jupiter 2 this year.

Regards,
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Re: Steve244-Already have 2 sets of the decals, but most are not being used as intended but they are being used.
Re: Jphil13-I have clear plastic sheeting from Plaststruct I intend on using to model new view ports. Ah if only microscope slides came in larger sizes, just think real glass windows.....
UPDATE INFO-If anyone remembers my post on using Alcohol to strip paint a day or two ago ( that V shaped thing to transfer fluids from one container to another) the name came to me at 07:00 PM last night A FUNNEL DUH!!!!!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Sorry to be so dense, but I tried accessing the photos from the original link and keep getting an empty page. What am I doing wrong? I'd really like to see this project!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
Re: Steve244-Already have 2 sets of the decals, but most are not being used as intended but they are being used.
Re: Jphil13-I have clear plastic sheeting from Plaststruct I intend on using to model new view ports. Ah if only microscope slides came in larger sizes, just think real glass windows.....
UPDATE INFO-If anyone remembers my post on using Alcohol to strip paint a day or two ago ( that V shaped thing to transfer fluids from one container to another) the name came to me at 07:00 PM last night A FUNNEL DUH!!!!!
Robert,
Seems like a good plan. You know, with all this interest in the Jupter 2, I bet other LIS kits would have sold and would have been very popular.
Jim

·
Registered
462 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
QUOTE]

Hello!
There could be larger slides but I do not know for sure. I might be worth checking with a good hobby store or equipment supplier to see if there are any larger microscope slides available. Extremely clear plastic makes the model look so much better, however. Check out a copyrighted photo of a Gemini XII version of the PL kit I purchased from Small Art Works. It looks great with a better quality of clear plastic used for the viewport. I've attached this particular picture because it is currently the best shot of a Gemini/Jupiter with an extremely clear viewport I have.
Regards,
Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Gemini 12

Only on TV would a family of travelers be sent into space without a single sleeping area, shades of Gilligan's Island. I guess they all sleep on hammocks strung from the ceiling, where are the grass skirts.... Other than that I like the model :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
Only on TV would a family of travelers be sent into space without a single sleeping area, shades of Gilligan's Island. I guess they all sleep on hammocks strung from the ceiling, where are the grass skirts.... Other than that I like the model :)
Thanks!
Sleeping arrangements are questionable, but I believe that if the original Gemini had become the production version in the series, a door would have simply appeared at the aft part of the control roon leading to some kind of bunk room accomodations.
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
More lower flight deck

Little by little the flight deck is coming together, in the photo added to my web site I have cut out all the panels need to assemble the control panels, cabinet bases, and wall mounted light panels above the control panels and the pieces that get will be the square lights on the panel, these are laid out around the counter top. Still needed is the computer box in the center of the view port, the two boxes on each side of the computer and last a raised panel on top of the counter for the computer box to set on to try to make it resemble the version on the TV show. The only thing not cut out yet are the control panel sides and braces to be mounted on the floor to align the cabinet bases. This is the slow part of the work, cutting out all the pieces, shaping it and putting it all together. Lots of eye strain and a few finger cramps... And while I'm at it I've also started cutting out some of the pieces for the lab. Well for some reason the new pic is not showing up when I go through the www key???

·
Registered
162 Posts
Can't connect to the URL

The project sounds awesome, but for some reason I cannot connect to your site to view the images. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or missed something from an earlier post, but here's the URL I'm using...

http://journals.aol.com/booker1067/MyJupiter2Project/

Whenever I click on this I get this message:

"page cannot be found. Please check your URL and try again. "

Please direct me to the site so I can enjoy your work!!!
I'm doing something similiar to the PL Spindrift and will hopefully be posting my progress here very soon!

Thanks,
Sonett

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Jupiter 2 new web site

In the last two weeks I have dumped the old AOL free web site I was using because it was very limited and locked up at one point. You can find my new Jupiter 2 project site by clicking on the WWW. button on my message screen or copy and paste this address http://hstrial-rhargrave.homestead.com and go to the photo gallery. Thanks for the intrest, though this morning gremlins attacked my new web page and had me pulling out my hair for a little while.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Robert,
How do you cut and trim sheet styrene. Always being an "OOB" parts on sprue kinda of guy, I've never dabbled with "Scratch Build". Do you just use a pencil and some drawings then attack the sheet with a razor saw?

The lower section of the J2 looks like it's going to come out nice. :thumbsup: Can't wait to see more pics.

--Tony

81 - 100 of 273 Posts