Hobbyist Forums banner
61 - 80 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
<< What do the train guys use? >>

I have been using Scalecoat for brass and metal engines and bodies, and Scalecoat 2 for plastics. It covers in one coat, has a very shiney finish, and has small pigments so it won't obscure details. NO PRIMER. I remove the clear lacquer finish first.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hobby Paints

When I started building Locomotives I first used Floquil thinned 50 / 50 with laquer thinner, then I switched to Polly Scale to get away from the fumes of the thinner, but didn't like the results when I tried using windshield window washer fluid instead of their suggested brand of thinner. But now I'm hooked on Accu-flex, sprays straight out of the bottle, no thinning great coverage and colors and have had no problem with covering up details.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Is that AccuFLEX, or AccuSCALE??

Accuflex was discontinued because it would sometimes solidify in the bottle overnight. Had it happen 3 times myself. I still have a clear flat and gloss left, and they seem to be OK. AccuSCALE comes in glass bottles, and AccuFlex came in opaque plastic ones.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Guess with the holidays upon us I forgot to take my meds. I went and looked at one of the paint bottles this morning and it's Badger Model flex brand paint(in a plastic bottle), the only time I've had trouble with it was when I left a couple of bottles I had used out in the garage in the summer heat. 110' turned them to goo. One other thing I do to try to save my paint is when ever I open a bottle before I close it up I cut a square of Clear plastic Like Glad Cling Wrap and lay that over the top then put the cap on. Keeps the cap top and lip of the bottle clean, but if I forgot to take a piece of cling wrap out to the garage when I paint you can also use a section of a plastic grocery bag works just as good...

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Okay had to trash my cheep web page, darn thing locked up and would not let me add or deleat any more pictures. Right now I'm looking at putting together a rent a page. but on the bright side my paint package arrived so will have some fun painting the lower hull section this weekend, and if I get this web page idea up and running there will be new and I hope better pictures to view of my project in progress.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
My Modeling web site

It ain't pretty, but it works. I have a new web page attached to my WWW icon, and as I learn more about using it I will make changes and hopefully improvements, also as I see how much space I have to work with I'll try to increase the size of the photos on the pages, but this is a start. Thanks to all who have taken time to look at my progress so far...

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Jupiter 2 lower level

The lower level deck is coming along very well, the deck has been cemented to the hull, all gaps were filled with putty, the upper level alignment tabs were cut off and sanded down level with the hull. Now the paint has been applied Testors Panzer Interior Buff.
The paint was thinned 50 / 50 with thinner sprayed with a badger 220 airbrush at 30 Psi. It took 3 coats to get a good coverage over the hull gray and areas I filled in on the floor. You can check out the new shots at my (work in progress) web page...

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Reactor Core Fins

What a wonderfull way to spend a quiet afternoon, cutting, sanding and shaping 32 fins to go around the reactor core. I've added a shot of the job in my Photo Gallery page, next step is to mask off the hull openings and get to work spraying the outer hull. As for the reactor core I'm not into installing light kits and such so I'm leaning towards just painting the lenses yelllow or white, maybe a combo of white yellow and gray.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
What a wonderfull way to spend a quiet afternoon, cutting, sanding and shaping 32 fins to go around the reactor core. I've added a shot of the job in my Photo Gallery page, next step is to mask off the hull openings and get to work spraying the outer hull. As for the reactor core I'm not into installing light kits and such so I'm leaning towards just painting the lenses yelllow or white, maybe a combo of white yellow and gray.
hi robert, check your e mail, happy new year !!
bert
aka Model Maker

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Lower hull & Reactor Core painted

A new photo is posted on my site. Yesterday I got the Reactor Core and the lower outer hull painted with Testors Brilliant Silver #1146. It turned out all right but when I went to take a photo I discovered a small problem, what ever color the base you set the hull on the base color is reflected in the hull. I first used a blue base the hull turned light blue, then I used a white base as seen in the photo, it turned the hull white. I was attempting to show the difference between the painted lower hull and the unpainted upper hull which was set in place, but it doesn't really show off the difference as well as I had wanted it to. One other item, using the new photo you get to see how the altered lower level view port looks compared to the upper one. When studying still photos of the lower level flight deck you'll see that the view port goes from wall to wall, but the kit port does not. But I also have seen still photos from the TV show that show the view port (seen from the outside) as being shorter like the one that is cast on the model hull. What's a modeler to do, I'm trying to match the interior so that means a wider view port for my model. I'm sure many will not agree, but whats the fun in having an artistic license if you don't use it from time to time. :devil:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
A new photo is posted on my site. Yesterday I got the Reactor Core and the lower outer hull painted with Testors Brilliant Silver #1146. It turned out all right but when I went to take a photo I discovered a small problem, what ever color the base you set the hull on the base color is reflected in the hull. I first used a blue base the hull turned light blue, then I used a white base as seen in the photo, it turned the hull white. I was attempting to show the difference between the painted lower hull and the unpainted upper hull which was set in place, but it doesn't really show off the difference as well as I had wanted it to. One other item, using the new photo you get to see how the altered lower level view port looks compared to the upper one. When studying still photos of the lower level flight deck you'll see that the view port goes from wall to wall, but the kit port does not. But I also have seen still photos from the TV show that show the view port (seen from the outside) as being shorter like the one that is cast on the model hull. What's a modeler to do, I'm trying to match the interior so that means a wider view port for my model. I'm sure many will not agree, but whats the fun in having an artistic license if you don't use it from time to time. :devil:

Hi,
Your model looks great. I am currently altering an extra fusion core to include fims, as they really look great and just seems add something to the fusion core effect (including width, because I say the fusion core in the kit is just too small). Here is a picture of an inflight model I will revise for a fusion core with fins included.

Regards,
Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Interior bulkheads

I have finished laminating the 10 interior divider walls for the interior of the lower level of the J-2 project and posted a pic to my web site. Next comes sanding, painting and the addition of little details as I build the interior sections. I will start on the left side of the flight deck then move to the Lab, and so on working my way around the level till I return to the flight deck, this will be required as I will have to scratch build all the rear walls of each compartment and add the interior parts to fill each room. Let the nail biting, and swearing begin....

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Excellent progress. Keep the update pics coming. Nail biting and swearing? Naw, but you'll find yourself thinking about "her" at all times of the day and night. Not to worry; it'll either get better or worse depending on your point of view!

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
juper 2 obsession

Obsession? Could be every time the Wife comes into the room and catches me working on the scale drawings for each compartment, or working on the J-2 model all she does is roll her eye's and shakes her head, muttering something about boys and their toys as she walks out of the room. What's that all about.....

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
It turned out all right but when I went to take a photo I discovered a small problem, what ever color the base you set the hull on the base color is reflected in the hull.
I put together a clear base, using plexiglass that I cut for another kit. Basically it's two pieces that nest together like a paper cut-out. It's clear and isn't reflected in the surface.

But then I used an automotive Silver - GM 340 by Duplicolor - not quite as reflective as Testors'

·
Registered
462 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
Obsession? Could be every time the Wife comes into the room and catches me working on the scale drawings for each compartment, or working on the J-2 model all she does is roll her eye's and shakes her head, muttering something about boys and their toys as she walks out of the room. What's that all about.....
Hello, All
Happy New Year wherever you are.
I understand the reaction you describe. My wife is extremely tolerant about my model building/Lost In Space obsession. Imagine what she must be really thinking each time she sees multiple Jupiter 2s all lighted and running, or me performing the weekly cleaning/dusting of all my models, or when I set up the planet base and the crashsite Jupiter 2 and camp equipment. I just had to have the large B9 robot put out by the "Trendmasters" company a few years ago.

Jim

61 - 80 of 273 Posts