Hobbyist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
model maker said:
Hey Mike, wow when are they going to be available, and what do you think the price ranges will be ????
Bert
aka Model Maker
Hiya Bert , :wave:

How's the new digs? All settled in ther now? :thumbsup:

That's Norman Sockwell's site , just online recently - answers to your questions I don't know. Steve (Iverson) might know more since Norm's J2 was on his work bench section once ...

Might know more next month as he says he'll update it then.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
J-2 Interior

While waiting for my paint to come in I have started constructing the interior bulkheads, cementing the 3 sections together, cutting out doors and shortening the bulkheads where needed. Also I need to get started figureing out how to make door templates going to try using .010 styrene for this. Now it time for confession.... I have cheated, I broke down and ordered seats and landing pads from skyhook models this morning, I know there goes my scratch building plaque.... What's that sound, are those rifles being loaded, oh crud its a fireing squad...Gotta run....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Gemini 12 was featured in the unaired pilot of Lost in Space. The show did not have the Robot or Doctor Smith. The ship (which we actually see in the series) did not have a lower deck. A lot of footage was cleverly used in the first five episodes of season one. The ship had lines in it, no round porthole, etc.

If you've not seen it, it is available on Columbia House Video. It is called No Place To Hide. (LOST IN SPACE)

At the time, it was the most expensive pilot ever shot.

The network bought the show and then had Irwin Allen add the Robot and Doctor Smith.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wow, Thanks a lot J2man. It's been a while since I've seen the episodes. I'm getting a PL J2 and the LE Chrome J2 for Xmas from the wife. (She's so sweet :D ), so I'll be building one soon. Guess I should buy the videos so I can have a reference for detailing. Is LIS out on DVD yet? Thanks again,

--Tony

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
saturn5tony said:
Is LIS out on DVD yet? Thanks again,

--Tony
Tony,
There was a lot of discussion about LIS coming out on DVD - cancelled - and coming out again - etc... over on the MOVIES FOR MODELERS BB. Go to the top of this page where it says:

"HOBBY TALK FORUMS> MODELS> POLAR LIGHTS>"

and click on: "MODELS>". When the page comes up, you'll see the Forum for "Movies For Modelers". You'll have to search for the LIS threads - there were several.

- GJS

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
While waiting for my paint to come in I have started constructing the interior bulkheads, cementing the 3 sections together, cutting out doors and shortening the bulkheads where needed. Also I need to get started figureing out how to make door templates going to try using .010 styrene for this. Now it time for confession.... I have cheated, I broke down and ordered seats and landing pads from skyhook models this morning, I know there goes my scratch building plaque.... What's that sound, are those rifles being loaded, oh crud its a fireing squad...Gotta run....
For extra door panels upstairs (air lock) I did "rubbings" of the pre sculpted doors, and then transferred these to sheet styrene (heavy pencil on back and trace front on top of plastic). Today I'd search for some good J2 door pictures and make them the right size using my computer. These could become templates.

A lot has been said about scratch vs. kit. I understand the pride in doing something from scratch, but let's face it; at some point you are going to buy something already machined, whether it's sheet styrene or injected (or poured resin). And after all it's a model. You are copying something already made. With unlimited time and resources anyone could do it from scratch. Making use of available materials just makes sense.

The J2 is cool, it begs to be built up.

Are you planning on lighting yours?

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Lighting the J-2

I have no plans on adding a light kit or other type of interior lighting to this project. Just not into the electrical aspect of the hobby, heck when I build locomotives I use MV lenses for my headlight, classification lights and ditch lights because I hate running wiring and attaching bulbs so their lenses make my life easier... :)

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
LIS on DVD

saturn5tony said:
Wow, Thanks a lot J2man. It's been a while since I've seen the episodes. I'm getting a PL J2 and the LE Chrome J2 for Xmas from the wife. (She's so sweet :D ), so I'll be building one soon. Guess I should buy the videos so I can have a reference for detailing. Is LIS out on DVD yet? Thanks again,

--Tony
Don't know if this is of any intrest to Tony but in looking around on Ebay the other night in the DVD section TV shows I came across the Lost in Space 1st season selling with the buy it now option for 50+ several copies. But you may find a better deal looking around....

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
J-2 Progress

After looking over Ron Gross's article on fine tuning the Polar Lights J-2 kit I came to the conclusion that the alignment tabs for the upper level deck must go. So today they get to meet their maker, (no I'm not sending them back to Polar Lights). Just removing them from the lower hull and will save the pieces for use in some other project. Still no paint in my mail box yet but I have some Lacquer based primer from my Locomotive projects so after the tabs are off I'll give the outer hull a light sanding and fill in the Space Pod Bay door area looks like some .010 or .015 styrene will fill it in pretty good. Then give it a shot of primer to get it ready for metalizer on the exterior and Buff to start the interior painting of the project. Have begun several of the interior bulkheads and so far they are coming out very well, when I begin installing them I will start at the first wall of the flight deck and work my way around clockwise through the inner hull. This way I can keep the wall in alignment and cut and sand down the back walls between the bulkheads one at a time to get a good fit, the last room to be done will be the state room next to the flight deck. Will post new pics after the first wave of painting is applied.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
After looking over Ron Gross's article on fine tuning the Polar Lights J-2 kit I came to the conclusion that the alignment tabs for the upper level deck must go.
Where is this article located. I would love to put that with my other J2 research. Thanks, :)

--Tony

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Might also want to track down a copy of the long out of print book called CultTVman's Ultimate Modeling Guide to the Jupiter II. Features contributions from Ron Gross, Joel Tavera, Jim Piszar, Jim James and Marc King.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
J-2 Update...

Hal, open the pod bay door. Sorry Dave. But someone has removed the pod doors so I cannot open them....
Well, it went something like that, anyway the locating tabs for the upper level floor have been removed and the pod bay doors are now debunked. The sheet styrene idea did not pan out as the door recess isn't a uniform depth, so I ended up using 4 applications of filler putty and sanding between layers. The exterior shell has now been sanded but when I went to check my paint cabinet I discovered I was out of lacquer based primer. Guess its a trip to the train store for a new bottle. An outer hull shot has been added to the web site PIC #8

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
A LACQUER Primer?? I hope you don't ruin the plastic. I've sanded and filled with putty around the top to make the upper hull one piece, but even then I never used primer, just 1200 grit sanding film. it just fills in the details.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
gunze sangyo's Mr. Surfacer 1000 and 500 are lacquer based. they aren't "hot" enough to melt or craze styrene: that's what they're made for!

Being lacquer based you don't have to wait for long to overcoat them with enamels.

The 500 does fill in some detail, but the 1000 goes on smooth as a baby's butt. All it fills are unsightly file marks and scratches.

What do the train guys use?

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I Hate Computers

It's now official, I HATE COMPUTERS. Have tried several times today to load Picture #8 to my cheezy web site and all I get are error messages that prevent the photo section from opening up says line #1 is missing. I just know it has something to do with the HAL remark I made. Its enough to make a person blow out their resin formend brains.

41 - 60 of 273 Posts