Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 273 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Lower Level Deck

I have added a new pic to my web site showing the work done on the lower level flight deck, all the raised sections of the floor have been removed and any depressions filled with putty. The factory made mounting holes have been plugged with scrap sprue pieces and await cutting off and sanding smooth. All the new scratch built bulkheads have been marked for door openings, walk throughs and a couple are just shorter that the rest. Very soon it will be time to paint the lower hull inside and out along with the deck, then the real fun will begin....

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
hi robert, my avitar is still there are you sure it was deleted ? i haven't seen any of the pics yet, you can e mail them to me, i would really like to see them.
Bert
aka Model Maker

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Steve244 said:
Excellent start...

At least for me, a project like this is 9 parts thinking and 1 part doing...
hey steve, i clicked onto the link and get nothing, can you e mail me any pictures that you can see ?
thanks !
Bert

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Look at the interior

j2man said:
Check this site out for possible reference!

http://www.customreplicas.com/24_j2.htm

I would love to have one of these!
With interior detail like that who would care, look at all the fantastic detail done on the walls, control panels. Granted when you look in the backround and see all the large models, and equipment, and if their doing laser cutting it must be a shop, and alas there is no room for a lower level with a design like that... I dream that my interior work could look that nice.... :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
j2man said:
I know what you mean. I remain hopeful, that this kit will be available someday.
It is a neat looking model, but I need to look at pics again. I'd also love to see someone do some professional aftermarket items so that the PL Jupiter 2 could be made into a Gemini XII. That would be neat!
Jim

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Actually, I AM working on a corrected lower level for the PL Jupiter 2 tat makes it into a Gemini 12. Both the hull and fusion core are different. I saw the real hull recently, and have been planning a correct top and bubble that would be used to accurize either version.

I don't know how you feel about it, but I consider the SPFX models to be different from the set. The SPFX models never had complete iteriors. The diameters were different, with the SPFX model looking like 50-75 feet in diameter, and the Set which was 40 feet across. The scale and proportions would be different as you stretch it to fit. The SPFX model is far more clever in the way it was designed and built than it appears from a quick look. it's elegant, and simple. The way it was filmed made it one of our favorite spaceships. The noise it makes completes the illusion.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
New J-2 Drawing

I have not gotten much building done this week but I have done some work on the drawing of the upper level, and its been posted to my J-2 page Pic #2. Its mostly inked but some areas are still in pencil, As with the first starting at the bottom and working clock wise is the flight deck, then what started out as a communication station and main hatch, next (uncompleated) is the main circuit board master alarm and flight recorder, then comes the cabin pressure controls with the control systems for that behind the wall, along with space suite storage and lavatory area, Next is the elevator and behind that the main and back-up reactors and their control stations, and the next 3 sections are the stasis tubes and their control systems behind the wall And any other left over areas will be used for storage. I'm thinking of leaving the areas behind the stasis chambers open between the levels to allow for a larger storage space.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
J-2 Lower Hull

Today I got more work done on the lower level floor area compleated, in the new Pic #7 all mounting holes are filled in the floor eccept for the center one. the floor has been cemented to the shell, and filler putty has been spread around the joint line between the hull and floor to make it a seamless joint. The view port has had some filler putty applied to seal the seam line between the casement and the hull, also a filler strip of .030 styrene has been installed in the rear landing gear bay at the edge of the floor where the door way will be installed leading to the steps. The interior of the hull has also been sanded and painting supplies have been ordered so some color should be showing up late next week. Now on to the interior bulkheads.....

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
It's two parts construction and one part archeology: unearthing bits of your childhood by understanding a craft that held so much for young imaginations.

Or something like that...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Steve244 said:
Hiya Robert!

There are a few of us (J2 addicts). Not as many as Trek addicts, but enough to carry the flame. Welcome to the boards.

Be sure to click my www button for a view of my interpretation of J2dom. (shameless plug)

Errr.. Ummmmm.... I don't see any WWW button to click !?!? :confused:

I don't even see one under my own name ! :freak:

Do people see one under my name now? It should point to http://jup2.com

Is it just me who can't see these ? :(

Thanks,
Mike

21 - 40 of 273 Posts