Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to this form, and for the last couple of years I have been cutting my modeling teeth on building Ho scale diesel locomotives, building models from photographs to match the real thing. After seeing the work of Ron Gross and some others on the polar lights Jupiter II I decided to extend my building choices and try one myself. At this point I have worked up a set of scale drawings of the lower deck, scraped the interior pieces supplied by PL and I'm making new ones from sheet styrene. The lower level floor has been sanded smooth for the placement of new walls in slightly diffrent locations, this will also allow for the instalation of new doors and interior details not included with the kit. Also I have incressed the width of the flight deck view port and added a casement to recess the window opening and make it reach from wall to wall like in the show version. Photos have and will be sent to the workbench for future posting as the project progresses, if they are found to be of quality and intrest of other modelers in the form, questions / comments be glad to read or answer them thanks R. Hargrave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,689 Posts
welcome aboard Robert . sounds like an interesting (and extensive ) reworking of the J II . don't forget to check Steve's scifi forum .
hb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,776 Posts
Hiya Robert!

There are a few of us (J2 addicts). Not as many as Trek addicts, but enough to carry the flame. Welcome to the boards.

Be sure to click my www button for a view of my interpretation of J2dom. (shameless plug)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve I went to your WWW. Site but all that would open is the picture boxes with back round and the small white box in the upper left corner with an (X). But no photos
 

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
Joined
·
4,124 Posts
Steve244,

Very cool J2! I love the moving lights effect! I started mine but had to put it back into the box. (Very Big Project) I did some customizing with the landing gear bays. I added a head and shower and sink too. Waiting for the motivation to start it up again. I did however do the Robot kit! I had alot of fun with that one!

Can't wait for the DVD to come out for the LIS series!

MMM :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,776 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
Steve I went to your WWW. Site but all that would open is the picture boxes with back round and the small white box in the upper left corner with an (X). But no photos
hmmmmm... Probably the server is slow...

Here's one...


You can view the raw jpg's here .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,374 Posts
hi robert welcome to the board, i notice that you are using MY personal avitar , i would request that you choose another one, because the one you are using is one i created for myself !
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jupiter 2

Steve I finially got into your web site, enjoyed your shots very much, and the fiber optic work excellent, also impressed by what seems to be a plexiglass insert in the upper floor to open up the lower level so both can be viewed without taking the ship apart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Glad to have you aboard Robert. I too am a die-hard Jupiter II as well as anything Irwin Allen fan! I look forward to seeing your work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
Welcome jupiter 2 addict!!! I wonder if you can do any better than others in matching the exterior of the 4 foot special effects hero model saucer at about 60-85 feet in diameter, to the 40 foot diameter set. I, like some others, decided to chuck the interior and put the "SPFX" scrim treatment by the main viewport.

You gonna do working landing gear?
You gonna add the fins around the fusion core?
Skyhook models has feet and chairs for the upper deck.

I recently SAW the actual hull of the Jupiter 2 four foot model.
NOBODY has it correct as far as the top of the model is concerned.
It's flattened around the bubble for a diameter of about 16 inches.
it's WAAAAAY to late for me to fix my 2 foot looner moddles hull though. Drats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,776 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
Steve I finially got into your web site, enjoyed your shots very much, and the fiber optic work excellent, also impressed by what seems to be a plexiglass insert in the upper floor to open up the lower level so both can be viewed without taking the ship apart.
Glad you got there! I've got an opaque floor that can be put in (it's removable), but I've never bothered to put it in, the "visible" J2 is too cool!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Y3A

Well I happen to be an okay modeler, but not a master modeler, so what I intend to try is fill the interior of the Polar Lights J-2 kit with a mostly scratch built interior. I have made compleated scale drawings of 1" = 5 ' 0" of the lower level and have the upper level about 75% done, this drawing includes computer memory banks, air and Co2 scrubber, food prep plant and storage freezer, water tank and pump room, power cell and power generator room, reactor power trunk from upper level to lower main engins, thruster stations, and last main equipment storage locations around the outer areas of the hull. Along with the main interior areas, interior main walls are 3 sections of .030 styrene that will be sandwiched together with door openings cut out of the two outer sections and door decals placed onto the center section to make the hatch seem to be set into the wall. The control panel surfaces will be the biggest challange so far. At this time the lower level view port has been cut out and the width incressed to reach from wall to wall, a casement has been build around the opening to allow the windows to be recesses like the upper level set. 10 new interior seperation wall have been constructed and await finial door markings and trimming here and there. All tabs, and holes are in the process of being filled in the floor and the 3 landing gear bays have been opened with the rear bay cut to allow for a raised enclosure with a hatch that will line up with the steps as an exit from the lower level. Last change the lower level elevator and ladder have been moved back to 3 inches from the center of the floor, with the upper level elevator and ladder being moved in till they are also 3 inches from the center of that level. This requires the wall sections behind the upper level elevator being moved up, but does not hurt the look of the model and allows for more storage or equipment bays, in my design the reactor and back-up reactor are behind the elevator with the main power conduits running through the floor down to the lower level floor and on to the drive motors.
Yeah I have way to much time on my hands..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,374 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
Well I happen to be an okay modeler, but not a master modeler, so what I intend to try is fill the interior of the Polar Lights J-2 kit with a mostly scratch built interior. I have made compleated scale drawings of 1" = 5 ' 0" of the lower level and have the upper level about 75% done, this drawing includes computer memory banks, air and Co2 scrubber, food prep plant and storage freezer, water tank and pump room, power cell and power generator room, reactor power trunk from upper level to lower main engins, thruster stations, and last main equipment storage locations around the outer areas of the hull. Along with the main interior areas, interior main walls are 3 sections of .030 styrene that will be sandwiched together with door openings cut out of the two outer sections and door decals placed onto the center section to make the hatch seem to be set into the wall. The control panel surfaces will be the biggest challange so far. At this time the lower level view port has been cut out and the width incressed to reach from wall to wall, a casement has been build around the opening to allow the windows to be recesses like the upper level set. 10 new interior seperation wall have been constructed and await finial door markings and trimming here and there. All tabs, and holes are in the process of being filled in the floor and the 3 landing gear bays have been opened with the rear bay cut to allow for a raised enclosure with a hatch that will line up with the steps as an exit from the lower level. Last change the lower level elevator and ladder have been moved back to 3 inches from the center of the floor, with the upper level elevator and ladder being moved in till they are also 3 inches from the center of that level. This requires the wall sections behind the upper level elevator being moved up, but does not hurt the look of the model and allows for more storage or equipment bays, in my design the reactor and back-up reactor are behind the elevator with the main power conduits running through the floor down to the lower level floor and on to the drive motors.
Yeah I have way to much time on my hands..........
any pics of your j2 ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Steve244 said:
Hiya Robert!

There are a few of us (J2 addicts). Not as many as Trek addicts, but enough to carry the flame. Welcome to the boards.

Be sure to click my www button for a view of my interpretation of J2dom. (shameless plug)
Hello!
I am a Jupiter 2 addict, and think those model pictures are cool. I like Trek, but LIS will always be my favorite.
Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,776 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
For those wanting to see what I'm working on I tried to add a web page attachment but I'm not sure it worked, its cheep and cheezy looking but the pics are there here is the link address if a (WWW) icon does not appear on my screen Http://journals.aol.com/booker1067/MyJupiter2Project/
here goes nothing.....
Excellent start...

At least for me, a project like this is 9 parts thinking and 1 part doing...
 
1 - 20 of 273 Posts
Top