Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all who contributed some great suggestions regarding painting the nameplate. The liquid latex worked very well, but required some patience in getting it on and covering the areas around the lettering. I'm fairly happy for the most part, but I might go back and tweak the edges of the lettering just a little more.

Part credit on this one has to go to Chris (Auroranut) he did most of the prep work on the figure and had painted the steel beam, so I left his work in as a hat tip (and because his paint job was so cool!) Chris is fastidious with seaming kits so there was very little left for me to do before painting and final buildup.

My pet peeve with kit, aside from the page boy haircut, has to be the smoke plumes. Very hard to paint them to look like what they are meant to be. My Wife actually thought they were alien plant life...:rolleyes:

Still a lot of fun to build and a fine addition to my now burgeoning Aurora repop collection.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
KUDOS to you, and A'nut for a good job. I never did that kit but I never liked those plumes, they remind me of terds or something. I think the only way to do them is with an airbrush ??? Maybe ??

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Nice work, Ozy! When I first built this kit I thought those smoke plumes were rocks, so I painted them the same brown as the base. It looked good to me at the time :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Excellent work Bruce!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
You did all the painting mate so you deserve the kudos. I'm just glad I gave it to you. It's great to see someone with your skills finish it to a quality standard.
Besides, thanks to one of the worlds best deals with Rich, I have an original to do so it was surplus to requirements.
Have you started the P/L Captain America or Spidey yet? You have to post pics when they're done....

Chris.:)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone...
Chris it was a blast to do really, and you gave me such a smooth finish on the body to work with, and that made an effective paint job all the easier to achieve.
Spidey and Cap are still in a holding pattern, but you'll definitely see pics when I'm done. I'm hoping to get my Dracula finished in time for the MMR contest but have entered my Frankenstein and Wolfman at this stage. My newly acquired Forgotten Prisoner is beckoning too... So many kits, so few hours in the day...LOL.

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
Nice work on the Hulk!! Looks like the nameplate turned out really nice also! I've built several of the smaller Aurora Hulk models and the seams can be a real pain on that one... yours look great on this one!! Great work!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Denis, I am pleased with the nameplate. The latex works very well.
All seam credit goes to Chris. He passed this kit on to me when he picked up his own Aurora original. Chris had 99% finished the seaming, and done a spectacular job.
Paint, some puttying and final assembly are mine.

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,050 Posts
My pet peeve with kit, aside from the page boy haircut, has to be the smoke plumes...
Nice Job, Oz! If you're dead set on doing a box job, then you'll just have to live with these features. I squared the Hulk's bangs and his jaw, too. Of course, this work was done on the 1/8th scale Polar Lights reissue, which made the alterations easier. I replaced the smoke plumes with painted cotton; the kit pieces are in my parts box in case I ever need "fungi" or something. There are a couple photos in my album if you'd like to see what the changed hairdo looks like.

You mentioned A-nut's prep work - he clearly knows his onions when it comes to eradicating seams. But I find it difficult to paint smooth surfaces well, so I have to clap a little longer for your brush work on the Hulk. Thanks for sharing your pic.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I think he looks pretty cool. Its not the best Hulk or Aurora figure to start with... I like your/his approach... it works!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great job I really like your paint work. :thumbsup: I built that a while back but I replaced the head and base with resin aftermarket parts and repositioned the arms.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nicely done, indeed! A great example of this kit in its "natural state", i.e. without any custom mods. Your paint work really makes it pop!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow thanks Guys, I'm pleased that you like what I've done with the paint work. I was really trying for that comic book feel and I think I got it.

Mark, Smooth surfaces have terrified me in the past too, but I took the bit on this one. I gave him a complete coat of Citadel Goblin Green, then a diluted wash of green ink over the entire skin surface, except for the face where I used a very fine brush to ease it into the creases and detail. Once the ink had dried, I dry brushed the skin surface with Goblin Green, tidied up facial details, and voila! I was very pleased with the finish and it brings out the musculature clearly which is what I was aiming for.

The base has three different colours used on it. A dark brown base colour, the iron red for the rocks and sand to contrast. It's a bit hard to see in the photo.

I do like to build the repops pretty much out of the box. As I mentioned I never got the chance to build these kits as a kid, so I'm living the experience now. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity for some kit bashing in the future, but for now, I'm reconstructing history...:)

I did have a look through the gallery here for some inspiration and there are some truly exceptional Hulk kits on display. If you haven't checked them out, I would recommend you have a browse.

·
Registered
790 Posts
That is a very well done Hulk. I like the red rocks, that is seing you do not see much.

I agree about the hair and smoke. When I did my kit back when it came, I reworked the base and did not have to use the "smoke". I did have to re-do the hair though.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Looks great, coloring and how you did it all is fantastic. I have one of these in the stash for a future build myself.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the comments.

It's also served as a reminder for me to get back to my Captain America and Spider-Man. The Hulk is looking a little lonely on the Super Hero Shelf...:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts