Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most people here know, Polar Lights used ABS plastic for the kits produced from 1995-1997. At some point in 1997 or early 1998, the decision was made to use styrene (usually tan) for all future kits.

Early kits of the Bride of Frankenstein and Carl Casper's Undertaker were accidentally produced using the same Frightening Lightning glow in the dark ABS as had been used for The Addams Family Haunted House and the Mummy's Chariot. A few years later in an e-mail, Dave Metzner recalled when PL personnel noticed the mistake with the Bride had been made, they notified the factory to swtich to the correct non-glow gray plastic. He gave me the approximate numbers for each run in that e-mail, but unfortunately I lost that e-mail when my hard drive crashed a couple of years later. What he didn't mention to me was whether the Undertaker was produced in gray ABS before the switchover was made to the tan styrene.

Does anyone here have a gray ABS Undertaker? If so, please let me know. I'd like to update my home page.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I'm pretty sure that The Undertaker was done in White plastic not Glow....the example that I have looks kinda like glow plastic but Unless my eyes are screwed up......it is not glow in the dark material.......

The last kit that had glow parts was the first run of Bride, I'm pretty sure of that .

Dave

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i remember my 1st couple of brides were molded in three colors, Grey abs for the majority of parts, with several clear and several glow parts. The later issue kits were molded in tan styrene, and clear, is this correct? I never opened a later kit...Otto

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
I just looked at my first kit of Carl Caspers Undertaker....it is a white plastic like Dave said. It ALMOST looks glow....but I have put it under the light many times and ran into a dark room and no-go. It is not glow for sure. This is the early kit too with the PL newsletter and phone number on the side of the box. Not too sure if you have Frankenstein's Flivver marked down as a gray ABS plastic kit but my first one was. I can still see the gray ABS where I failed to paint under the engine.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm not sure about the car kits, but i know there were science fiction/ figure kits issued in colored plastic besides tan.Spindrift-orange/snake scene-green/hulk-green/black beauty-black/bat cycle and batboat mettalic dark blue/captain america-blue.And all these were also available as white chaser kits as well :thumbsup: The kits mentioned were never issued in tan styrene or abs,as these were towards the end of polar lights run.The ones i remember being tan were the second issues of all the lost in space kits,and robby.I suppose the bride and the munsters were reissued in tan as well, but mine were the abs original issues.I also payed i think around sixty-five dollars for the fao addams family house non glow issue :freak:

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Here is a little more info on your glow bride, Wolfman. I know there is another thread regarding this subject that goes into a little more detail but it must be hiding (or forever gone)!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts