Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Another few hours of decaling. The saucer decals were perfect but the neck and front of the secondary hull had issues. First a lot of the larger decals shattered while applying them, the 2 large neck ones very badly.
Second the decals did not want to settle down well. I ended up trimming many after they were put on with a new #11 blade. Delicate work. I have done up to about half of the secondary hull.

They do look very nice once down, but boy is it time consuming.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A good rule of thumb is to give the decals a coat of liquid decal film before applying them. Round 2 kits have had some fragile decals, from time to time.
Yah, But I've never seen them this bad.
I got greedy when the saucer went so easy.
Dealing with 1 or 2 large breaks is no problem, but when both neck decals shattered it took things to a new level.
You can bet that I'll be coating the pylon decals.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No not yet, but these decals are odd. It's a fine line between getting the decal thin enough to settle into a 1/1000 starship and still strong enough to be useable.
I coated the pylon decals with decal liquid to prevent them shattering, but now they don't settle well and started curling up while drying.

The port side is curling in this photo, but both side curled. I had to keep soaking each of them with micro-sol for about 30 min. I'll have to mix some paint to fix some areas,

The engines are next.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I coated the pylon decals with decal liquid to prevent them shattering, but now they don't settle well and started curling up while drying.
The port side is curling in this photo, but both side curled.
I’ve had issues with curl too. The best fix I found was mixing a little white glue with warm water and brushing it under the edge of the decal, waiting 30 seconds for the glue to get tacky then tamping the decal down with a cotton swab or micro brush. Never fails.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Looking at mine I see I had to paint the areas where the pylons attach to the secondary hull, and the triangles up near the nacelles.

Mach7: I read your question about the 22 inch eagle in the other thread, on mine I cut loops off the springs and then stretched them out, one loop at a time until it sat correctly and still extended when "flying". If you just cut off loops until it sits correctly they get too short to fully extend the pads.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Mach7: I read your question about the 22 inch eagle in the other thread, on mine I cut loops off the springs and then stretched them out, one loop at a time until it sat correctly and still extended when "flying". If you just cut off loops until it sits correctly they get too short to fully extend the pads.
Thanks, do you remember how many loops you cut. krlee says 2 but he does not mention stretching them.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts