Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled this out of the stash for a lockdown build. I'm normally a TOS guy, but this looked fun.

It's a small kit, but the instructions are huge!

As are the decals:

3 large sheets! It has the aztec pattern on it. I think the whole ship will have decal on it.

The parts are very well molded and the fit looks great. Almost Tamiya like.
The one issue I have is the grid lines, they are WAY too big.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I built one of these in 2016, I remember the decals for the pylons giving me problems, and the grooves being way too large of course, so lots of work with decal softeners and various tools to get the saucer to look good. But once the decals were cut and softened and pushed into the groves the groves are way less noticable and don't seem so out of scale.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case.

I'm planing on the decals taking a whole night.

The saucer section fit is excellent! I'm using glue even though this is a snap kit.

The design of the pylon mount is ingenious. It anchors solid and in perfectly in place.

the neck looked like it would be trouble, but went together fine.

the rest went together well, The saucer/neck almost gave me an issue, but then it slid in fine.

I left the clear parts off until after I get paint on it.

The impulse engines might be trouble getting in.

I plan getting some primer on her tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I built mine some years ago. It builds into a nice model:

USS Enterprise Refit
by Steve J, on Flickr

I gave mine an overall shot of Testors pearl gloss clearcoat followed by flat clear to give it a satin finish over the aztecs before applying the registry decals.
If I had it to do over again though I think I would fill in the gridlines with some Perfect Plastic Putty. They are way out of scale.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Your build is excellent!
Yah, the grid trenches kind of bother me, the rest of the kit is top notch and then there are the trenches. With the decals they could have just printed the lines there. Just like the Moebius 2001 Orion. The surface texture is better represented as decal.

I got a coat of Tamiya white primer on her today. My first impression is that it looks good. I'll check again after it dries.
My plan is to paint it with Tamiya gloss white, decal, then hit it with Tamiya pearl clear.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Tamiya white primer gets used on most of my white ships. With a gloss coat it works well. I do plan on putting a light coat of Tamiya pure white. Unfortunately I didn't get any work done on her today.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Disaster!

I'm starting to put the clear parts on and I can't find the impulse engine.
I pulled the kit plastic bags out of the trash to look for it, checked the box, and even cleaned my work desk!
No luck.
Luckily I bought it from Cult TVman so I could get a copy of my receipt online. I have requested a replacement part from R2.
They have always had good customer service in the past, I hope I can get it soon. The build is waiting on it.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yah, I went back and looked at that photo. It's there but off the tree. I've ripped my worktable apart and I can't find it. I pulled the bag out of the trash and It's not there anymore. I was under my table on the floor, I even looked into the boxes of other kits I'm working on, no joy.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts