Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I was told a couple of season ago that a pod mounted wing pushes down on the chassis which would help plant the rear better and a body mounted wing just pushes on the body not as much force on the chassis. I don't know if this is true but its what I was told.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If Pod Mount Was Better You People Would Use It... I Have Only Been Racing For Two Years And I Have Only Seen One Car With A Pod Mount Wing And It Was Some Hillbillies Beater Car...

"note To Self Dont Run Pod Mounted Wings"

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I didn't say pod mounted was better, I used to run that way back in the early 90's because that was the only way to run them back then, I don't know which way is better, it was just explained that way to me.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i wasn't knocking your post. i was just saying i have never really seen any one who was half way fast run a pod mount wing...i am just like you have no experince with them either....

·
Registered
568 Posts
almost everone at my home track run the wing to the pod ,but my home track is also a concrete tri oval with alot of banking and the runline is 416ft

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Here's how we looked at it...

Both locations offer equal DRAG, but the POD puts to downforce right directly on the rear pod, and depending on how far back the wing is mounted on the wire, it causes the center shock to extend *raising the rear of the chassis.

Where the BODY mounted wing puts the pressure on the back of the body, which transfers down on the rear body posts (and actually will try to lift the front of the body)

On a SLIPPERY track - a Bi-Level "CHASSIS" Mounted wing, or on some cap tracks.

On HIGH Tack Asphalt, or Carpet...you should NEVER need that much rear wing.

"NEWBIES" who want to run something with a FAST motor, and have some fun... I always encourage to run a POD mounted wing (at club racing... ) It usually KEEEP them from spinning out in front of their buddies a little easier. (Just make sure you make the holes in the body big enough to NOT bind)

(another downside to POD mount - the WING bounces on a bumpty track - making it inconsistant)

The question needed to be asked I would think....

WHAT type of track
WHAT kind of tires
WHAT kind of grip

(and I'm sure others will say - NEVER use a POD MOUNT - but it does make for one more OPTION when you need more rear grip)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I was told a couple of season ago that a pod mounted wing pushes down on the chassis which would help plant the rear better and a body mounted wing just pushes on the body not as much force on the chassis. I don't know if this is true but its what I was told.
Yep,

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell

-E

·
Registered
598 Posts
Honestly, I think people started putting them on the bodies for convenience. It makes it way easier to come back to your pit and remove 4 screws or 4 clips and the body and wing are off.

I have not seen a pod-mounted wing since the late 90's.

IMO, unless you were running the insane speed run type of deal, the pod-mounted wing is not giving you anymore downforce to the rear than the body mounted wing would. Maybe slightly on an outdoor, large cap track. But even then, I bet it is minimal.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have been told that a pod mounted wing moves and can point up and may cause lift not down force is that true? I have only run a wing on carpet mounted on the body what changes would it make to the car with pod mount could you free the car up more?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Concrete pod mount, Carpet body mount is the way to go been racing for 28 year's and asphalt have never ran the the wing on pod always on the body . like the outhers said it all depends on trk size and what type of track .

·
Registered
729 Posts
i run my wings always mounted on the bodys,carpet,asphalt or concrete,never seen any
difference in downforce with the wing on the pod,i've run on the indy velodrome with the
wing mounted on the body.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'd kinda been wondering about the same thing for the last three years after I got back into oval racing (bought a Legends car instead), and especially after I bought my first pan car in ten years last December for the 'Birds.

It would seem to me that the pod mounted wing would work the chassis setup more, planting the rear tires and pod more, regardless of it's a high-banked or flat track, carpet or asphalt (or concrete). The body mounted wing seems to me (at least thinking about it) that it would lift the front of the body and not really plant the rear tires, only pushing down on the body itself. And if the body's not mounted correctly (allowed to "float" a little on the body posts), then the body mounted wing really does no good. Yeah, it's convenience (to get the body off the car), but does it *really* work (to plant that rear end of the car)?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I saw both this year at our concrete Track! but i will put a spin on it for you.

some ran it body mounted and switched to pod mounted to cure a problem that they were had. Some switch back and forth! Both styles won on our track and both styles were fast. But it all depended on the set up they were using.

So to answer that quaetion I think it all depnds on the racer, the car and how they want it to work for them!

Now Two other points I would like to make:

Most pod mounted races 20% of the time forgot to mount it causing them problems when they tried to run without it.

On a technical note if you place your car on a level surface with scales and apply presure to the body mounted wing while on the scales you will see it will lighten the front wheel weight. While applying the same amount to a pod mounted wing does not affect it until a point.

So maybe the reason for body mounted are the following
  1. Ease of use!!!!!
  2. Ease of use!!!
  3. and to reduce high speed steering!

Not sure???

·
Registered
855 Posts
For me, on cap tires I usually use pod mount wing, and it gives more rear bite. There are some tracks though, like Easley, SC that a HD body with wing on body was much better. At the Triclone in West Bend, WI, running that body/wing setup feels awesome, just runs .3/lap slower than a lower downforce body with pod mounted wing. I think body mount lets the car run more overall downforce, where pod mount just gives more rear grip. On Carpet, body mount all the time! (of course I think John Foister ran well at the banked track in Akron a couple years ago with pod mount......but that's John LOL)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
It also depends on the track surface. Most of the cap tire tracks up north here, we run the wing on the pod.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts