Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I built one of these kits and a Scout for another modeler here on the board. I had already built a scout for myself (with a small modification) and when I started the Tug for them I also started building the one I had. But I only got as far as assembling the container and painting it. Now I'm working on an AMT Shuttle Galileo so I have some down time while areas of the shuttle dry, so I have resurrected the old PNT Tug kit and am splitting my time between projects while one needs to set and dry or I get ready to give it flight (across the room) I switch to the other project.
I've assembled the saucer (and I do not like that deflector dish that hangs down from the lower section of the saucer), and as I did with my Scout project I borrowed the deflector idea from Enterprise and am mounting a modified deflector in the forward section of the saucer, which leaves the lower sensor dome intact (see attached photo). The central and warp nacelle pylons are attached to the saucer (I still have to fill the joint where the main pylon meets the saucer), but all other areas are filled and sanded.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.... If anyone is intrested I have finially loaded photos to "My Gallery" of past projects I've done, and I also see they went directly into the Photo Album area and bumped several good looking projects of others down the list there, sorry about that, didn't know it was going to do that.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mactrek said:
Very Nice! :thumbsup:

If I may ask, What color(s) did you use for the hulls of the scout ships Columbia ans Essex?
The main hull color is Light Ghost Gray, the darker panels of the hull, ring behind the bussard collector and the recessed section of the warp nacelle is Dark Ghost Gray, The bussard collector was done with Signal Light Red and the end of the warp nacelle, center bar of the intercooler and the two oblong box like objects just below the intercoolers is painted Gunmetel.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The project is continuing, I've filled the original inter-cooler mounting holes in the warp nacelles with styrene pieces and marked and drilled new mounting holes on the other side of the nacelle. On the inter-coolers I cut off the mounting tabs and drilled and inserted mew mounting pins made form .022 brass wire. This ends the main building portion, tomorrow painting begins.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The PNT Star Fleet Tug is slowly moving forward, thought I'd share a painted and pre-decal photo, just to prove I'm still working on it in between moments of frustration with the shuttle project. I really like the way the colors have come out, the Dark Ghost Gray just isn't dark enough for me, so I went with Dark Gull Gray and really like the contrast.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Lookin' good thus far, Robert! And I don't know if I've said this before, but I really do like your take on the saucer mounted nav deflector. Very nice job on that! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the votes of confidence, sure some trekkers are wringing their hands at the way I choose to display this fine vessel, changing colors and worst of all having the nerve to move the navigation deflector. But when I built my Scout a year or so back and made that change it really made it stand out, it's also a simple modification to make. Glad your all enjoying the build.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She is completed,*and*I don't know what ship is what name or number.* So for the die hard fans of ST my apologies, I just used a set of numbers and a name directly off the decal sheet provided by PL and I'm happy with that.* Now problems there were plenty of them during the build, the painting and then adding decals.* This little project is far from perfect but in the photos it looks good, my only dislike is I used chalk for the weathering of the saucer ring, which when sealed I have heard before lightens up, well the dirt color*went darker and the rust almost vanished and looks uneven in the overhead photo, but it is there.* I changed many of the windows on the underside of the saucer, I got rid of the tiny round ones and replaced them with oblong ones form other sections of the decal sheet, I also added some windows (view ports) on the sides of the container vessel.

·
Starship Class
12,051 Posts
The weathering looks terrific!

That looks like the perfect way to refit the Exeter after that terrible incident from "The Omega Glory!" :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PerfesserCoffee said:
That looks like the perfect way to refit the Exeter after that terrible incident from "The Omega Glory!" :thumbsup:
Now see my ST trivia is so bad I couldn't have even told you that ship name was from that. Terrible incident, terrible story. In my opinion one of the top 10 worst STTOS story lines

·
Oxidation Genius
31,311 Posts
Well, she looks beautiful, but a tiny bit of research could have given you the name and number actually used for a tug, rather than the ship mysteriously having the same name as one of the Enterprise's sister ships.

·
Starship Class
12,051 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
. . . In my opinion one of the top 10 worst STTOS story lines
It's definitely not one of the best plots (Comms/Yangs) but I loved the action/adventure portions of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts