Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not sure which forum to post this in, so admins, please feel free to move it to another one. I don't see a forum for plastic promos or for buses here. In the last few years, I have located some Product Minature 1/25th scale Trailways plastic buses and bought them.

I don't know if y'all know how significant Product Miniatures was to our hobby in the 1950's, they were gigantic, producing assembled promo cars, trucks, buses including big rigs, and also 1/25th scale cars for sale in discount stores as well as a few kits. I have a nice collection of those, but I am unable to find one that I want. They made a circa 1955 GMC PD-4501 Scenicruiser bus in 1/25th scale with extraordinary detail for that time period.

PMC (Product Miniatures) was actually the first to develop one piece and deep body molds for scale models. My Trailways buses are from that same mold, but lack the window graphics that the Greyhound buses did. Anyone who knows where I can locate a Greyhound one, please let me know, Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,679 Posts
I dont see many posts about assembled PMC vehicles here in any of the modeling forum, but there may have been a few - way back in time.

I do know that there were some PMC model posts over in the diecast forum and we do have a section devoted to buses there too.

Have you tried a search here for them? (I find it works better if you go to google and search back here hobbytalk for your subject interest, ie Greyhound Buses Hobby Talk) ((The planned site upgrades are suppose to improve that but are still a few weeks away.))

:cheers2:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont see many posts about assembled PMC vehicles here in any of the modeling forum, but there may have been a few - way back in time.

I do know that there were some PMC model posts over in the diecast forum and we do have a section devoted to buses there too.

Have you tried a search here for them? (I find it works better if you go to google and search back here hobbytalk for your subject interest, ie Greyhound Buses Hobby Talk) ((The planned site upgrades are suppose to improve that but are still a few weeks away.))

:cheers2:

Yes, I agree, except that I'm not aware that PMC ever made anything in die-cast. I've done extensive research on PMC and I see nothing they made that wasn't in plastic. They deserve more attention than any modeling site affords them though.

At one time, they were bigger than AMT, Jo-Han and Revell. They are actually still in business today, and even use the same building, but in circa 1960, they stopped producing plastic scale models. They now make household products (dish pans, laundry baskets, etc).

Since they were once so substantial in creating our hobby, I just find it strange so little is said about them now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would probably fit in better in the Model Cars section........

It might not fit there either. Perhaps a forum about the history of our hobby could be created? I'm a history buff and I've been researching the history of plastic replicas for many years.

After WW2 is when it began, and the history is really interesting (at least to me it is).

·
Super Moderator
23,679 Posts
It might not fit there either. Perhaps a forum about the history of our hobby could be created? I'm a history buff and I've been researching the history of plastic replicas for many years.

After WW2 is when it began, and the history is really interesting (at least to me it is).
Sounds like a worthy endeavour if you are up to it. I have put together a small history on Hobby Talk itself - if you havent seen it before. It involves Polar Lights and other well known brands and how Hobby Talk grew out of those interests. It is a long read but interesting.

https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/13-modeling-forum/568258-epilogue-1-thing-would-not-die.html

·
Super Moderator
23,679 Posts
Another project we are developing over in the diecast section is a Master Makers Listing of companies who made diecasts. If you are interested - it sounds like you have already started your own version for model kits but need a place to share with others. I can have a new section created to fit that information into one place if you want to do that here for models.

https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/17-diecast-car-collecting/588933-diecast-master-makers-list.html

After you start reading the diecast histories you will start finding where the toy companies overlap with the model kit companies and with diecast makers as buyouts and business failures occured - well since the mid 1800's to still today. And many of them started out making white metal kits and evolved into assembled diecast offerings.

The PMC models as assembled vehicles didnt readily fit into the old school model kit world. And as you noted since they were all plastic didnt meet the made of 'metal' pieces of the old school diecast world either.

Over time most of todays diecasts are usually a plastic/metal mix or now even all plastic - so we have adopted PMC and other vehicles made of other materials as a place to keep them together for now. Most diecast companies have also distributed some form of their castings as kits, too. And Matchbox has even made traditional style boxed model kits!

https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/1666-non-diecast-type-cars/

The only thing we ask is that others be allowed to contribute their own threads and posts to the section in sort of a community built reference and discussion guide as HobbyTalk was initially formed. :cheers2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts