Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a outdoor race track with dirt for our nitro monster trucks, and am looking for some answers and advice?? What are the racing tracks using to divide the lanes and keep a boundry for the trucks?? I have seen some pictures and it almost looks like they use pvc or something similar, but then I look at the way it forms to the turns and jumps and can tell it is not pvc... so what is the best stuff to use that is not to costly??? I am also looking for any other professional tips or suggestions?? I appreciate all answers and the time taken to respond to my questions, Thanks Kory :)

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
we made one and we just went deeper then the ground so the dirt walls help keep you on the track and no cost.

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
Piping

Kory,
If there is a Home Depot or Lowes near you, you’re in business. A lot of off-road tracks use some sort of corrugated piping. Intended use is for drainage, etc. in case the sales dude asks. If you are near a Mine supply, they should have it as well. If you have a big enough club, maybe you can do a race for charity and get some of that material donated to you. Generally you will pay anywhere from $25/roll which is anywhere from 50' to 100'. Feel free to call our MD store as we have built several off-road tracks and Jerry can give you some tips. He is the man!
Hope this helps!
[email protected]

comfortkorymt said:
I am building a outdoor race track with dirt for our nitro monster trucks, and am looking for some answers and advice?? What are the racing tracks using to divide the lanes and keep a boundry for the trucks?? I have seen some pictures and it almost looks like they use pvc or something similar, but then I look at the way it forms to the turns and jumps and can tell it is not pvc... so what is the best stuff to use that is not to costly??? I am also looking for any other professional tips or suggestions?? I appreciate all answers and the time taken to respond to my questions, Thanks Kory :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
check out the TILTYARD. WWW.TILTYARD.COM

this is the track that hosted the 03 mod nats and he just uses astro turf with big staples... it makes for a real nice flowing track. for big races he will cut some 4x4s and set them a foot off the turn. youll see if you check it out. it makes it alot easier on the cars but if you try to cut the track youll be in for a surprize when you hit the raised astro turf. it works great real easy to lay out and change.

i wouldnt recomend using pvc. it makes for a real square track... all 180,90,or 45 degree turns. you cant make a track that flows with that.

the corrigated pipe works well. the only promblem you have are the pipes coming loose when people hit them. you can still make a nice track with them you just have to keep in mind your running monster trucks and dont want too many 180's...nice sweepers and jumps that arnt too close will make a fun track. when you build it just realise people like to go fast and 180's arnt fast. use wide lanes and a track that flows well and people will come back..

hope this helps.

Roger Holmes.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Also, watch your drainage, don't dig holes or have a berm thats low and catch water.
We have a clay track and paid alot of attention to this.
It can rain all morning on it and will be running on it later in the afternoon.

dh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts