Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I recently was given this set of cars and want to sell them. However I have no idea of the value, can anyone give me a estimate of what this is worth (if anything)

There are 30 Cars and cards in an acrylic display case some of the drivers are from nascar, some from pro stock, funny, and dragsters, the drivers are...

Rusty Wallace
Bill Elliot
Davey Allison
Dale Earnhardt
Richard Petty
Kyle Petty
Michael Waltrip
Harry Gant
Terry Labonte
Derrike Cope
Morgan Shepherd
Geoff Bodine
Dale Karrett
Larry Pearson
Kenny Bernstein
A.J. Foyt
Raymond Beadle
Don "The Snake" Prudhomme
Tom "Mongoose" McEwen
Ed "The Ace" McCulloch
Brad Anderson
Pat Austin
Mark Oswald
Johnny West
Lori Johns
Butch Leal
David Nickens
Mark Pawuk
Don Beaverly
Joe Lepone Jr.

The cars and cards seem to be from Racing Champions INC. The year on the cars is all 1989 or 1990. Thanks up front for any help anyone can give me.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Quick thoughts w/o consulting a price guide-- storage cases new go for $1.00-1.50 per slot; used figure half of that. Opened RC NASCAR is hard to sell, $0.25-$0.50 per car. You can try online auctioning, and expect $20-30 I'd guess. More than that would be because of something unusual in the lot.

As they say, market research will identify the true value:

Closed Auction Search

Current Search

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Well I'm not a pro at pricing items but I used to be heavily involved with Nascar diecast and I can tell you if the Earnhardt car was in it's original packaging it could fetch $30-$40 on ebay but being loose your looking at $10. If I was in your shoes I would put the whole collection on Ebay and wouldn't settle for less than $50 buyer pays shipping. Like I said I'm no pricing pro so please try and get some other feedback I don't want to send you down the wrong path.. Good luck

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I see similar stuff at toy shows around here & it doesnt sell . Older nascar is dead when it comes to re-selling it .. Especially if its been opened .. I have a bunch of RC Stock Rods from around 1999 . I see it at shows for $3 in mint , unopened packages - doesnt sell anymore ... and thats what it cost new or less !

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I wish you the best in getting rid of the Nascar or Funny Car Cars as the
RC stuff doesn't sell very well. RC has bankrupt and there Cars just dont
sell on the open market like they used too.

If you cant get rid of them you can always hand them out during next years
Halloween as gifts.

·
Registered
308 Posts
RC has bankrupt and there Cars just dont
sell on the open market like they used too.

I disagree! But research indicates there were 3 different racecar model manufacturers that have been called RC
#1 Racing Champions formerly part of RC2/ Learning Curve Brands has been rumored to have been recently acquired by Auto World owner Tom Lowe; former owner of Johnny Lightning.

If any of these NASCAR models are from 1989, they may have some extra value as that was the first year of production for Racing Champions. These models in blister packs were
quite valuable only a few years after they were released. And the open models also shared some of the extra value due to their lack of being readily available when issued. It was not until the movie "Days of Thunder" was released that the Racing Champions product became less rare ( as I recall).

#2 But, I wonder if the "RC" you refer to could be Racing Collectibles , as this latter firm was subsequently purchased by Fred Wagenhals firm, Action Performance. Action also produced many NASCAR and non NASCAR models as well. This firm later sold out to
a division of NASCAR t/a Motorsports Authentics . Some of their most recent models have been sold under the Winners Circle Brand.

These Racing Collectable models may not have as much value as the early Racing Champions.

#3 then there was Revell Collection which also later was purchased by Action Performance. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have always like the looks of those displayed. I knew a guy several years ago who had one wall of his computer room covered with these types of cars. I would think at least 2 or 3 would be worth something. You just have to find the right person. The Dale Earnhardt and the Davey Allison are probably the most valuable. Then I would thing the funny cars. After that, if you 2-3 bucks each you would be doing good.

Good luck with them.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I bought a Racing Champions Skittles Grand Prix as a wheel donor but decided it was too nice just to tear up. It's the only NASCAR item I've got.

I looked it up online and there was even a 24 carat gold plated edition.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I'm sorry to say, they arn't worth much... Like someone said, back in the day you could get $20 to $50 bucks for an Earnhardt, Allison, or a Kulwicki car but they are worth almost nothing now... I have 2 cases with 72 cars in each, that I have had displayed in many diecast shows, flea markets, and swap meets... Only one offer of $50 bucks ($25 ea.) because the guy wanted my homemade cases!!! I invested a ton of money in that RC NASCAR stuff in the late 80s and early 90s and lost out big time... The only one car I know of for sure that will bring in $25 bucks or so is a Winners Circle # 7 Hooters car of Alan Kulwicki That is the "Underbird car that won the championship... And that's if you find the right collector looking for that car... It has a Mighty Mouse sticker where the TH in Thunderbird should have been on the lower front end of the car... I have been offered $50 bucks a few times for this car !!! Best of luck !!!

There used to be a magazine published who specified in the pricing of these NASCAR cars of all brands and they have even folded... They pictured a few of my diorama photos back in the day... There were also tons of shops all over the U.S.A. advertising in this mag and they are all gone too...
NASCAR diecast just isn't worth anything now days !!!

I had over 100 1/24 NASCAR cars that I paid $10 to $12 each by Racing Champions that I recently sold to an owner of a sports bar for $150... That was only because I was helping him remodel the bar and building displays for him... I took a beating in the cost of the cars, but made it up on the labor !!!
Those cars you have pictured are the early Racing Champions castings that were of poor quality and unfortunatly aren't worth much of anything... I think your best bet would be check with an antique dealer because those cars are about 25 to 30 years old now !!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
It also doesn't help when you go into a store and the racing diecast are upwards of $6.50 each. I used to collect thes back in the mid 90s. I traded them all for 4 months of rent. I am not sure if the landlord ever sold them or not, but if he still has them, I did great!!! LOL. He got alot of cars though. I had about 6000 cars of various makes I gave him in the trade.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I guess Nascar fans don't collect diecast as a rule.

I like Nascar, go Mark Martin, and I collect Diecast, but I never collected Nascar Diecast. Probably the very high price, to me, of the cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts