Hobbyist Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok the bumper extensions make sense. I'll remember that. I knew a boy in high school around 83-84 that had a dark green 72 Challenger with about 70 or 80 k miles at the time. I had saw it sitting at the Mall parking lot previously and then he ended up with it. 340 4 barrel on the scooped hood. Dark green interior. Slap stick with dog dish hubcaps and rims the same color as car. I rode in the back seat of it one time. It left one black mark with the right wheel then the left wheel would catch and leave a black mark. I was impressed. He messed it up mechanically some way or the other. Fortunately a local Mopar authority and collector (that bought our hold house) got it and fixed it. Didn't take much. I think he put mags on it. I asked him about it when I saw him at the post office years later. He must have liked the car because he kept it along time among many Mopars he had.

Yeah, they're still around. The other colors are a bit harder to come by. I'd still like to find a donor red one to get the roof piece to put on the gold "convertible" I have.

They are '73-74 since they have the front and rear bumper extensions mandated by the gov't beginning with the '73 model year. To my knowledge, a '72 has never been made in die cast, though I hope Auto World changes that.

Playart is my favorite vintage brand in case you haven't guessed already :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
That red play art Challenger reminds me of the 1974 Gone In 60 Seconds movie that has one of two red Challengers with a black roof. They switch the VINS on a wrecked one and steal and good one and then have to crush it. Have you seen that movie?

Yeah, they're still around. The other colors are a bit harder to come by. I'd still like to find a donor red one to get the roof piece to put on the gold "convertible" I have.

They are '73-74 since they have the front and rear bumper extensions mandated by the gov't beginning with the '73 model year. To my knowledge, a '72 has never been made in die cast, though I hope Auto World changes that.

Playart is my favorite vintage brand in case you haven't guessed already :)

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
That red play art Challenger reminds me of the 1974 Gone In 60 Seconds movie that has one of two red Challengers with a black roof. They switch the VINS on a wrecked one and steal and good one and then have to crush it. Have you seen that movie?
Once many years ago. I'll have to check it out again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lots of Mopars messed up in that movie that were only a couple of years old or less at the time. A garbage truck rolled over on top of a light green 71-74 Charger lime green with a black stripe and both caught on fire. Never seen one striped like that. The footage is fleeting. You will have to pause it to get a good look at it. Then a light metallic blue 71 Roadrunner or GTX gets hit on the rear right quarter. A couple are test driving it. Toby Halacki owned all those cars. Lot of cool Mopar police cars: 68-70 Satellites and Coronets bought for $500 a pop from LA county police auctions. I like those 70-71 unmarked Mercury Montegos with 429s fishtailing under hard accelleration and I'm not a Ford guy. There is a green 4 dr 429 Montego that prominently chases the Mustang. I think they are dubbing the sound of that Mustang engine.

Once many years ago. I'll have to check it out again.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I'd forgotten about this thread. Maybe post some later on.

I hadn't seen any pink Playarts before. That is appropriately cool on that Cadillac.

·
Super Moderator
24,590 Posts
Zombie thread resurrection bump...

I aquired this Playart within the past year. It must be a "newer" model as the doors do not open. Surely there must be some others that have surfaced within the past 4 years?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dear All:

Regarding Playarts,I was able to get the ones from Sears until the end of the 1980's (Chevrolet Camaro,Caprice and many of the later ones) plus the older ones at George's Show (Cadillac Eldorado,Alpine A110,Mazda Coupe and Pickup).At a train store (in San Dimas,which now is closed) I got the Scania Transit Bus and from eBay the man from U.N.C.L.E. car,Dodge Challenger,Javelin,Abarth,Jeep,Batmobile and some others.I still looking for the DAF Daffodil (which appears rarely and goes at high prices) and the Rover sedans (same issue as the DAF).I also have some of the trucks including semi trailers,the functional submarine (it dives,comes up and so on,but has difficulty maneuvering in the bathtub) - still in its box - and the Scenicruiser Bus and Rolls Royce,the last three being the largest items I do have form Playart.A couple years ago I found their Mercedes Benz Convertible at a trains store and paid only $1.00 for it;still hunting for the brand looking specially for the Rovers and DAF.

·
Super Moderator
24,590 Posts
I added this 1967 Chevrolet Astro I (Corvette Concept Car) to the accumulations last fall. It only has one of the origninal wheel covers remaining on the left rear.

·
Super Moderator
24,590 Posts
This Ford Mustang was part of an ebay purchase made by a friend from Finland back in January. He routed the box through the MFR garages for sorting of keepers for him and leftovers for the garage's project list.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts