Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Finally got another Mopar besides my Challengers. I remember reading one time that Playart designers really knew their cars as, for example, this one is not just a Plymouth Barracuda, but a Barracuda Formula S.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I love playarts !

hello friends, i do love the playart cars and i have a nice lot ;) . my favorite is the porsche models specially the 914, if you got any color other than yellow I will buy/trade you :D .

here is some

you got the idea ! :D

Raed

·
2,930 Posts
Nice Porsches, Raed. You've probably guessed already that my fav Playart is the Challenger. I'm looking for any yellow, green, and gold ones (and any other color besides red that might pop up).

·
2,930 Posts
Here's my first Camaro. It's labeled Chevrolet Camaro SS on the base again showing that the Playart designers apparently knew their cars. I will say this is the least example of Playart pony cars in terms of proportion and lines IMO. But still pretty cool.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Finally Got One! And ONLY 2$ ! ! !

Back in Nov 2011, I decided to try staying away from diecast. I started up HO model railroading, to help me stay away. After 6 months of the HO, I had enough. Retail prices for HO items have jumped 25% across the spectrum of the hobby. And price increases do not appear to be slowing. I learned it's due to the people leaving diecast hobbies, getting into HO, or O scale (and other stuff).

To top that off, HO items have become very hard to aquire. I'm certainly not the only one getting burned out of diecast modeling. Another problem with the HO is that the details are extremely impressive, but you just can't enjoy them without a good camera. Makes it hard to share with others. I still like HO, but it's just not for me, maybe it never was.

Some things are only found in diecast, just like some things are only found in plastic. Regardless! Because, when I go to toy shows looking for certain items, and I don't find them... I end up finding things like a Playart Mustang, for $2! This Mustang is not as bad of shape as my Playart Javelin was. The Javelin was a major wreck!

Anyway, my friend was just 2 steps ahead of me, merely inches. You should see the stuff he found! Wow! The deals just kept getting better as we went along. He didn't find what he was looking for either, but instead, he bought up lots of other stuff.

That show was a blessing. Unfortunately it's because people are selling items at alarmingly low prices. Try to find some local toy shows in your area. You may be surprised what you find. I really don't want to do metal projects anymore. I have 25 or 30 to finish as it is. 10 have not been started. After they are finished, I plan to sell them. My plan is to find the plastic kits to replace them. In the meantime, this Mustang will be restored.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a kid in the 70s I had a pastel greenish yellow 69 Mustang Grande GT with the white painted base black interior orange steering wheel. Also a light green Opel GT with black interior and orange steering wheel with chrome plastic base.

·
2,930 Posts
As a kid in the 70s I had a pastel greenish yellow 69 Mustang Grande GT with the white painted base black interior orange steering wheel. Also a light green Opel GT with black interior and orange steering wheel with chrome plastic base.
Cool! I had a red Opel GT a couple years ago. But since it didn't fit my collection, I sold it to another Playart collector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In retrospect, these play art cars were the best looking die cast of the mid 70s. I think play art cars are underrated. Hot Wheels and Matchbox had slipped a bit by this time. I always preferred realistic looking cars like these play arts. I would make exceptions with Hot Wheels redlines 72 and earlier.

·
2,930 Posts
Got one of those red Challengers on ebay a few weeks ago. Looks like about a 72-74?
Yeah, they're still around. The other colors are a bit harder to come by. I'd still like to find a donor red one to get the roof piece to put on the gold "convertible" I have.

They are '73-74 since they have the front and rear bumper extensions mandated by the gov't beginning with the '73 model year. To my knowledge, a '72 has never been made in die cast, though I hope Auto World changes that.

Playart is my favorite vintage brand in case you haven't guessed already :)

41 - 60 of 81 Posts