Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
camarospgr.jpg PLAYART DIECAST COLLECTORS UNITE ! I am trying to generate interest in a new Playart thread. Anyone with an interest in Playart please reply with any information, photos etc you have.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Incredible! 2 days ago I was looking up and reading hobbytalk archives, trying to find some old sources for Playart. And this thread pops up today. What are the odds!

In March, I sold the bulk of my personal collection of 1/64 diecast. Then... About 2 weeks ago, I visit Don, a guy I bought diecast from in the past. He purchased a collection from a guy who wants to go HO.

Don was going through the boxes when I visited. He had 2 other boxes for what he called "junk". His plan... throw both junk boxes out when he's done. I spotted the Playart Javelin. I've always liked their Javelins. I asked for it. He said I can have the whole box. The box went home with me. He said I can have the other box when he's finished filling it.

I went through the box, unable to find the Javelin's hood. I contacted the guy who previously owned this Playart piece, to see if he might have the hood. He purchased the car at a toy show, without a hood. Bummer!

Oh well... I will make a hood! I looked through the box again and decided to use a Yatming Firebird for the hood. there were 3 of these Firebirds, so if I made a mistake, I had 2 more chances to get it right. I messed up the first, but got it right on the 2nd try. AMEN!!!

This car was a mess when I obtained it. Some people said the car was not worth restoring. They suggested I make it a junker or barn find. I just can't do that to a Javelin. Playart 1970 Javelins have the best proportioning & accuracy. Better than the Johnny Lightning versions.

This car had it's original green paint but looked worse than the Yatming Firebird shown in the pics with the Javelin. Honestly, you would not think it was the same car from before. I wish my camera had been working 2 weeks ago so I could show you the "before" looks of this car.

BTW
I don't have a list of Playart vehicles, nor can I remember them all. I've had several over the past 20 years. There were some really good casting by Playart.

1965 Barracuda, 1967 Mustang, 1968 Barracuda, 1968 AMX 390, 1974? or maybe 76? Chevy Blazer, De Tamaso Pantera, Porsche 928, 1973 Mercury Marquis Wagon

Off the top of my head, that's all I can remember that Playart made right now. It's been a long time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have some playarts- some beat up -some so-so condition. Last year I found 2 still in boxes -a land rover and farm tractor. I recently found a amx 390 I'm thinking if customizing. Playarts are nice! Good hunting!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Ultradave, I think I messaged you about one of your Playart vids on Youtube the other day, and you replied but I didn't have time to respond yet. Here's some pics from a post I had over on ToyCollector the other day about a tradebox of Playarts I got recently. I had to edit it a bit as there were too many photos for one post on here, so I've linked the original post on TC below:

A turquoise Javelin with one-piece wheels and non-opening bonnet.

A cherry AMX with opening hood and 2nd-type hubcap wheels.

A mustard Barracuda with opening hood and 2nd-type hubcap wheels.

a green Capri

an orange Corolla

A browny-reddish Corona Coupe with 2nd-type hubcap wheels

A sky blue T-Bird. Somehow, this guy has conspired to have 1st-type hubcap wheels and a sealed hood.

I got them from a French auctioneer, so somehow they made their way to France. I also thought it was interesting that there's wheel overlap - the box contains cars with all three of the first types of wheels.
Here's the original thread.

Hope you enjoy! I've begun cataloguing Playart for Toypedia, but didn't get far yet, cos there are so many!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Very nice work on making that hood for your Javelin - here's a pic of my early Playart Javelin with the small wheels:

And here is a later hubcap-wheel car:

The AMX is nice too:

The hood hinges are fragile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi all, thanks for replying.
@mr john, that police mazda pickup is fairly rare. i believe it was only sold in a special police playset. i posted a photo of the complete set.

@72challenger, fantastic pullback. i knew the challenger existed in 1/43 but i did not know it existed in pullback too. i posted a photo of a metallic green 1/64. so far, i have found the challenger 1/64 in metallic green, brown. enamel red and yellow. anyone know of any other colors for this model?

@hurricaneray, that javelin looks like its going to be an awesome car when completed. 10 years ago, i bought a javelin over the net sight unseen for $20. all i was told was it was moc and red. i posted a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ baskingshark,
wow! i checked out the post on tc. what an amazing find! those are all great playarts. i love that tbird with the first hubs and white base. that is truly rare. that sea-mist green amx is fantastic. that's one one of my favorite playart colors.
i started putting together a playart catalogue/file for wikipedia back in april. all the photos posted in the playart section are from me. i did not realize that TC was affiliated with wiki. i will start transferring over the photos. it would be awesome to finally be able to put together a complete playart gallery....keep posting!

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
i posted a photo of a metallic green 1/64. so far, i have found the challenger 1/64 in metallic green, brown. enamel red and yellow. anyone know of any other colors for this model?
Wow, that Challenger is nice! That's only the third Challenger I've seen carded.

Those are also the only four colors I've seen. I only have red (one carded and one loose), but hope one day to have them all.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Very nice collections everyone. I like those AMCs.
I just have a few Playarts and this is the only one I have pics of. Something different...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi all,

The Challenger also comes with 2 types of one-piece wheels and with or without opening doors. Great bus Guntownal! I don't collect buses, but I saw a few of these recently and thought it was so nice I might get one anyway!

Ultradave, PM me on here or on TC and I'll explain about the wiki...

·
Registered
17 Posts
some time ago i made this rainbow with all the colors i had from playart!

my toyota celica rainbow

and a playart Grail...rare color,rare car and mint in mint box

and 2 Bats with different color interiors

and wheels

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
hi all, thanks for replying.
@mr john, that police mazda pickup is fairly rare. i believe it was only sold in a special police playset. i posted a photo of the complete set.

@72challenger, fantastic pullback. i knew the challenger existed in 1/43 but i did not know it existed in pullback too. i posted a photo of a metallic green 1/64. so far, i have found the challenger 1/64 in metallic green, brown. enamel red and yellow. anyone know of any other colors for this model?

@hurricaneray, that javelin looks like its going to be an awesome car when completed. 10 years ago, i bought a javelin over the net sight unseen for $20. all i was told was it was moc and red. i posted a pic.

Playarts dont come much finer than in spectraflame red with hubs like this Javelin! :wave:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@65fastback,
fantastic playart rainbow! i have not seen one that large at one time. there are a lot of scarce/rare cars in the group.
the pink corolla is incredible. the batmobile and uncle cars moc are rare. the purple uncle car is tough to find. (that purple enamel is tough to find on any car!). the 5 spoke(safety wheel) uncle cars are scarce. i think they are more difficult to find than their hubcap brethren. p911 in metallic magenta is another scarce one. white celica! .......

1 - 20 of 81 Posts