Hobbyist Forums banner

201 - 220 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I know Maisto has previously down some nicer castings, but I didnt expect to see a liscense plate on one of their Fresh Metal castings.

2018 Maisto Fresh Metal Dodge Charger
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

The details at the rear are not as nice as the front, but it does have another plate!

2018 Maisto Fresh Metal Dodge Charger by Milton Fox, on Flickr
There's a reason for a plate to be on that car but not on other Fresh Metal die-casts. The 1:1 1968-1970 Charger R/T cars did not have the Dodge name or logo on the exterior. But, to get licensing approval, EVERY Chrysler-licensed item had to have the brand on it even if the real car didn't. So, Dodge plates were applied.

·
Registered
11 Posts

For newly tooled historic cars at Maisto I would use the actual plate of the car that we followed for the model if the owner was OK with that. Here are three. At the price point, though, if there were two plates they had to be the same art so you'll see some with front plates that have rear-only month/year stickers on them (like the 240Z above). The die-casts were made in multiple colors so only one color with the plate would actually be correct for the 1:1.

·
Registered
11 Posts

When I made up plates for some Maisto cars I often would do a fair amount of research to make a plate that was authentic (such as the order and arrangement of letters and numbers) but still had some connection to the car itself. Here are two. The Thunderbolt plate would have been correct for 1964 IF it was a black plate instead of blue -- sometimes I goofed! 1964 plates issued in the spring started with the letter "H," had three letters and three numbers and had a white "1964" sticker in the corner.

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #212 (Edited)
For newly tooled historic cars at Maisto I would use the actual plate of the car that we followed for the model if the owner was OK with that. Here are three. At the price point, though, if there were two plates they had to be the same art so you'll see some with front plates that have rear-only month/year stickers on them (like the 240Z above). The die-casts were made in multiple colors so only one color with the plate would actually be correct for the 1:1.
When I made up plates for some Maisto cars I often would do a fair amount of research to make a plate that was authentic (such as the order and arrangement of letters and numbers) but still had some connection to the car itself. Here are two. The Thunderbolt plate would have been correct for 1964 IF it was a black plate instead of blue -- sometimes I goofed! 1964 plates issued in the spring started with the letter "H," had three letters and three numbers and had a white "1964" sticker in the corner.
There's a reason for a plate to be on that car but not on other Fresh Metal die-casts. The 1:1 1968-1970 Charger R/T cars did not have the Dodge name or logo on the exterior. But, to get licensing approval, EVERY Chrysler-licensed item had to have the brand on it even if the real car didn't. So, Dodge plates were applied.

Interesting to know! And thanks for sharing.

201 - 220 of 243 Posts