Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! Dropping in from the models forums with a question. A friend wants me to repaint a die cast car for him. I'm wondering if I can use good ol' testors plastic enamel, or do I need to go get real car paint? And is there any extra prep I need to do, or can I just paint right over the existing finish?

Thanks!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi Johp P. Welcome to the diecast forum. Painting a diecast car is really no different then painting a plastic model car. I would advise that you strip the paint from the car first before applying any new paint. Being that it is diecast any paint stripper will work. Most however use a product called Aircraft Remover available at most Wallmarts in the automotive section. Make sure you remove any plastic parts first before using it. As for paint. Any type of paints can be used. Automotive paints are fine, but not a necesity. Most modeling paints such as Testors, or Tamiya will work just as well. Unlike plastic models diecast always requires the use of a good primer first. Tamiya Surface primer is made for both metals and plastics and being a modeler I'm sure it's a product you are quite familiar with. I can atest to it's excellent compatability with diecast metals. After the surface is primed you can then finish the exact same way as you would any model.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hi folks! Dropping in from the models forums with a question. A friend wants me to repaint a die cast car for him. I'm wondering if I can use good ol' testors plastic enamel, or do I need to go get real car paint? And is there any extra prep I need to do, or can I just paint right over the existing finish?

Thanks!
Hi John,
Testors, ModelMaster, Tamiya, even cheap Aerosol products from Walmart were some of the first paints I used for Customizing Diecast.
I use HOK automotive paints for a number of reasons but you can paint a Diecast car with just about anything you can find.

To answer your question if you can just paint right over the existing finish, yes, you can.
But, you will need to scuff up the finish using either 400 sandpaper or Scotchbrite pad to give the surface a little texture for your paint to adhere to.

Painting Diecast is like anything else, you can take the process to any limit you wish or do it as simply as you care to.

Here's a link to a list of some of my Customizing Tutorials where you will find tips for body prep.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=264803&highlight=Customizing+tutorials

--CadillacPat the UnCustomizer--
Keeping the ZING in CustomiZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
Yeah, I had a feeling I'd have to at least "unglossy" the surface before painting.

Just gotta wait for my friend to supply the vehicle now. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts