Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello lighting wizards. I'm getting ready to start my second foray into the lighted model realm. My first attempt, a lit 1/24 Mustang, wasn't what I had hoped for. I'm putting this failure behind me and starting the planning process for this newest project.

I have never built ST models before, my work involves model cars and a few military planes and ships to this point. I purchased the AMT 1/2500 Enterprise set (TOS, A, & B) a while back and now I'm ready to really start diving in. The Enterprise B and Excelsior are my favorite ST starships so I will be building this one last so I can put together everything I practiced and learned from the TOS and A model builds.

My plan thus far is to draw out plans to scale of the ship then overlay my wiring plans onto the drawing. I anticipate using 3 3mm LED's for the whole ship. 1 for each nacelle, and one in the saucer section. I would like to use fiber optics to light up some windows throughout the ship. I will continue to post in this thread as my planning progresses (once I start the actual build I'll take it to the scifi section), but here's my questions off the bat....

I plan to set the LED's up in series... does each LED need a resistor or is one for the series enough? I have a package off of ebay of 3mm white LED's that already have the resistor in place.

Where is a good source for fiber optics and what would be a good size?

Will a 9V battery be enough to power the whole setup?

What other challenges does anyone see that I might not have thought of yet?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Just quickly, as I'm pressed for time at the moment, you may want to consider a fourth LED if you are planning on a fiber optic set up. You can dedicate this bulb for all (hopefully, depending on how many and how thick the fibers are) of your fiber work. It would appear that you are going minimal on this front. Youll need a pc of hollow plastruct tube or something similar to house the fiber arrangment and the size of the led will determine the diamiter of the tube (the way I do it anyway. Peoples mileage may vary). You'll need to know exactly how many fiber optic strands and also their individual diameter (this can often be guesstimated) and You'll need to let us know exactly how many and what size LED's you will be using. From there we can determine the resistance (if you dont go with pre-resisted LED's) by calculating the Forward Voltage (V) and Milliamps (Ma) to determine the resistor(s) needed and their ohms.
In short, figure out what size, color etc LED's you want to use.
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts