Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about the PNT conversion kits I purchased awhile back, for converting the Polar Lights Enterprise kit into other types of Federations Ships. Right now I'm in the middle of one large project and would love to start on the Scout ship conversion, but I don't have enough time right now. But here is my thought, I have never liked the deflector dish on the Scout or Destroyer that hangs down from the saucer on that pole like object. Then came Star Trek Enterprise and the NX-01, now why didn't I think of locating the deflector dish onto the interior of the saucer. It would be a simple conversion, and would make a connection between the earlier ship design. When I get the chance to build my Scout that is what my finished product will look like. see Pic. This is just an idea, but to me it looks a lot better, and would be fun to build.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You know, that is a good idea, and it looks pretty good too. It would be in interesting conversion, and would help the continuity of the shows as well!

·
Starship Class
12,111 Posts
I think the circular dish set into the front of the hull would look a little more in the TOS tradition.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could get away with using the deflector dish supplied with the kit, but I'm (if and whan I get a chance to build mine) going to stick with the NX-01 type of deflector dish.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,341 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
I think the circular dish set into the front of the hull would look a little more in the TOS tradition.
Except the destroyer has no hull!
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/destroyer_saladin.jpg

I've personally decided to go with the thought that the deflector is built seamlessly into the front of the saucer, and those three little white lights are its projectors. Maybe it's not as capable as the external dish, but it looks better:
http://www.inpayne.com/models/shaitan.html

:)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,341 Posts
rrrrrrrgh... I don't think that's what he meant.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gents, I do love how an idea can stir such a can of worms. John P. As always I do enjoy looking at your (it seems) never ending federation shipyard. But I do love a friendly debat, how ever any of us build our kits, when they are finished they are OUR kits. As with my reliant kit, I did not agree with Star Treks painting of the vessel, so I did it the way I felt it should look. And to me, mine looks really good, panels could have been a lot smaller and more of them, also another color or two to add contrast. But I'm still very happy with the end result. As I'm sure I will be just as pleased when I get the Scout done with the deflector dish inset in the saucer, one of these days.

·
Starship Class
12,111 Posts
I've always thought the plastic pieces inside the tops of deoderant sticks could be used to make the elongated oval deflectors for such a scale ship.

Edit: On second thought, probably too big.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,341 Posts
When I as a teenager I worked in a centerless grinding machine factory. There were always round things lying around from test runs, that I scarfed up for kitbashing, including roll-on deoderant balls. I have a bag of them somewhere in my spares box.

·
Starship Class
12,111 Posts
Bay7 said:
Perhaps you could make the 3 white dot's 3 little mini deflector dishes out of tacs/drawing pins.
Now, that's a great idea! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
721 Posts
It looks to "Enterprise" (sic) for my *personal* taste.

I like the Franz Joseph designs just the way they are, and
am thankful to both PL and PNT for the chance to finally
build these (given my meager skills).

Bottom line still is it is your kit Robert and you should
do with it what makes *you* happy.

BTW: Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates has some Fed
designs with notched fronts, but they have photon launchers
in them, not stinky ole sensor dishes. ;)

Edge

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
FJ's deflector coming from that arm sticking out of the bottom of the saucer hull looks Dr. Seussian. I like the dish up front. Looks like a Buick. :hat:

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Darn it Steve, now you got me wanting to put some tail fins on the saucer, and maybe an antenna ta boot....then it can be a Chevy. For Edge, (Skill) Something acheaved through practice, how do you think any of us started building our projects. We got tired of just building a from the box kit, or wanted something better. When I start one of my projects I'm not sure if it will turn out or be a flop. My J-2 project I'm almost half way done, almost 6 months work and it could be a bust if one big thing goes wrong, I've made a couple of mistakes, but so far there not huge mistakes, but their there. I know people that can build muesum quality model locomotives, with all the air lines and fittings and such. Can I build stuff that good, no. Don't have the skills yet, but some day down the road maybe. But right now I'm happy with what I can do, not what I wish I could do. All of us are learning by doing or seeing what someone else has done, and saying hey I could do that. We all just need someone once in awhile to flip on our light bulb. Edge, enjoy your kits when you get them done, and post some photos. We all love to see what others are building.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts