Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put the subtle grid lines on primary/sec hulls and nacelles. I'm going to paint a darker undercoat, then apply thin strip tape where the grid lines are and then apply a lighter paint coat (s). When the tape is removed, it will leave subtle grid lines.

Question: Any ideas on how to mask the circular grid lines? Straight lines are easy, but how to mask the thin round, radiating rings centering around top bridge and bottom dome sensor on the primary hull?

Any ideas?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thin lines

I use 32nd of an inch drafting tape for the straight lines. You can get it at drafting/art stores. I use that tape to do deck planking colors for my model ships - my usual subjects. That tape has a thickness if a sharp pencil line and masks well.

Basically, I'm doing the lines because I like them. It gives the TOS E's large flat, undetailed surfaces a little more detail.

I'll probably go with compass and pencil, paint over the graphite pencil marks, then maybe erase the pencil lines. I really want a *subtle* panel line effect.

Besides, this kit is sort of a test bed for several others I have in mind. evil mirror E, wrecked Constellation, Tug and destroyer etc etc. The small size will make it much easier and quicker.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.