Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here yet re-created the PL 1/350 Refit decal sheet in a vector-based software?

If not I plan to do that at some point, but I'm just wondering if I'd be wasting my time if someone else has already gone through the hassle.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
for what purpose? To make new decal sheets to sell?

That would be as unethical as recasting somebody's stock parts in resin.

I have thought of adapting my paint masks to "play better" with the PL decals, but would never stoop to making line for line copies.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Lou, I am sure Gunstar meant for his own use in his Refit build.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry - I guess I should have clarified, but I've brought it up so many times before that I wasn't going to bore people once again with what I'm doing with my refit:

Marc111's site gives you an idea the kind of detail I'm going for in my build. I'm going far beyond that - in some ways similar to that Japanese site that we all took note of maybe a year or two ago - I'll be resurfacing almost the entire ship - re-contouring large shapes and re-scribing all existing details, and building the warp engines almost completely from scratch - basically re-fitting the refit.

For that, I need to adjust the shape/curvature/size etc of a number of the larger decals

Once I've spent a couple years with the physical attributes, I will spend several more years on the paint job: I will not be lighting the model, but I will be PAINTING it as if you were looking at a screencap - such that the brightest parts of the ship - the windows, would be almost pure white - the nav lights would be white with a touch of yellow - the spotlit areas on the hull would be roughly 15% black - the brightest non-lit "white" part of the hull would be maybe 50% black (ambient light), and the darkest "white" area would be nearly 75% black, while nacelle grilles, photon area etc would be about 100% black. Throughout all this, there would be gentle transitions because of "ambient light" from the various lit areas of the ship.

To make this work, the DECALS also need to show these shifts in color - The black and red in the NCC for example are "darker" where the spotlight does not hit it, and lighter where the light hits it. In Illustrator, I will incorporate gradients into all the decals to match them up with the faux-lighting paintjob.

There is no point in me selling what people can already buy from other reputable sources, and I will be modifying the shape of these to fit my modified refit - they will not work on anyone else's. I would have no problem making it available to anyone else for free, just as I have with the super-detailed Impulse Engine grilles I made in Illustrator a while back. There are a few people using that that I am aware of, and I take great interest in anyone's work of trying to make this beast as accurate as humanly possible - for me that's a lot of the fun - you can always find something to improve on (and that's why I'm guessing my build, when I get to it, will take me several years - I'd be happy if I got it done in 5 years!

So, there's my long explanation - of why I want to either modify someone else's decal sheet or make my own. I can scan my current decal sheet and recreate on top of that, but I wouldn't mind a shortcut in an already very long process. I already have vector versions of the strongback decals from Starship Modeler that I will be modifying as well.
(I appreciate the vote of confidence Tony:wave: )

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Sorry, I shoulda looked before I jumped. I wasn't intending to come across as such a meany.

It is a noble idea you have in mind. I can't wait to see how it comes out. So You are planning on having the registry numbers in place on the bigger decals? Well, that would certainly make working with those fine red lines a thing of the past.

Bravo, Sir!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem :wave: - it's a wonder there aren't more squabbles in the forums through miscommunication/misunderstanding.

Not quite sure what you meant by "having the registry numbers in place on the bigger decals".... I'm pretty sure (at thee moment) that all decals present on the included PL decal sheet will still be made in decal form, not painted on - the tricky part of what I'm doing is as follows (example): "NCC-1701" on the top saucer - the spotlight (usually) in TMP covers most of that graphic, but the ends are in the shadows a little. The painted spotlight effect will not simply be a sharp-edged rounded triangle, it will have a large area with fullest light intensity, but then transitions slowly to shadow near the edges. The red lines around the registry in the spotlight are more of a bright red, but near the ends (N and 1) that red will need to transition to a darker red, and likewise the black, though less obvious. So I will be matching up these light transitions via software on my decals to the painted light effects.

So once again....... has anyone made a digital vector-based version of the decal sheet or of most of the decals? My goal is to use that and modify according to my own personal PL refit build (that I wouldn't even sell for the studio model!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts